It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2006, 05:18 AM   #1
(male)

eDeal HB User
Chronic symptoms slowly getting worse

For almost a year now, I have had several symptoms that have been getting progressively, but slowly, getting worse.

Late november of last year, I had what I thought was the flu, followed immediately with what seemed like a cold (the first had a high fever, body aches and no coughing, the second had little to no fever, lots of coughing and mucous and no body aching.)

Anyway, the cough never disappeared. It was also joined by perpetual nausea, where it is only by choice that I do not vomit, yet the urge is constantly there to varying degrees.

I also get headaches which seem to follow the pattern of migraines. They are always on the left side, running from behind my eye and to the left of center to the mid part of my skull. Occassionally they will seem to throb, and ANY stimuli at all causes them to feel worse.

These are becoming more frequent (once a week), less severe (they do not hurt as much as they used to), and longer lasting (often up to 3 days). Any nausea is increased when I get these headaches. They are accompanied by sinus problems frequently, and when they are active and after they have run their course, I have this numb feeling that makes concentration difficult.

The symptom that brings me to post about this today is that the night sweats are getting worse. I sleep in a fairly cold environment with little to no covers, and still wake up with my pillow soaked through.

I have also been getting symptoms with my vision. Normally it is crystal clear and sharp, but sometimes one or both eyes get so blurry I cannot read test of any size and can only really make out shapes. Then, my eyes will eventually return to normal.

I have also lost 34 pounds this year, but I attribute that more to better diet and excercise.

I am male, 34, and consider myself in good health. I take little medication, limited to an aspirin or similar tablet no more than once a month (my headaches are unneffected by headache medicine.

I have seen a doctor several times about these symptoms, and have had a number of tests which seem to inicate that I have normal blood counts, blood sugar and lungs. Unfortunately, my medical insurance does not pay for physician visits or anything involving a hospital, so I have spent a fortune on this, and cannot really afford to go any further.

I suspect I will not have much more success here, since my doctor did not have much luck pinpointing a problem (other than I have Schamberg's Disease, a benign bleeding disorder). If anyone has suggestions for an economical way of diagnosing these irregularities, I would appreciate it. Spending half my time with a headache pretty much makes life miserable.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2006, 07:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: Chronic symptoms slowly getting worse

Hi edeal, welcome to the board!

I am sorry you have been so sick. I highly recommend that you consider Lyme disease as a possibility. Lyme disease is a multi-system bacterial infection caused from the bite of an infected tick. It can cause many seemingly unrelated symptoms. It is the second fastest growing infectious disease after AIDS in the US and the number one vector-borne disease in the US. It is in every state. It is often difficult to get diagnosed.

Below is a Lyme Disease symptom list. You can have any combination of symptoms.

Unexplained fevers, sweats, chills, or flushing
Unexplained weight change--loss or gain
Fatigue, tiredness, poor stamina
Unexplained hair loss
Swollen glands
Sore throat
Testicular pain/pelvic pain
Unexplained menstrual irregularity
Unexplained milk production: breast pain
Irritable bladder or bladder dysfunction
Sexual dysfunction or loss of libido
Upset stomach
Change in bowel function-constipation, diarrhea
Chest pain or rib soreness
Shortness of breath, cough
Heart palpitations, pulse skips, heart block
Any history of a heart murmur or valve prolapse?
Joint pain or swelling
Stiffness of the joints, neck, or back
Muscle pain or cramps
Twitching of the face or other muscles
Headache
Neck creeks and cracks, neck stiffness, neck pain
Tingling, numbness, burning or stabbing sensations, shooting pains
Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy)
Eyes/Vision: double, blurry, increased floaters, light sensitivity
Ears/Hearing: buzzing, ringing, ear pain, sound sensitivity
lncreased motion sickness, vertigo, poor balance
Lightheadedness, wooziness
Tremor
Confusion, difficulty in thinking
Difficulty with concentration, reading
Forgetfulness, poor short term memory
Disorientation: getting lost, going to wrong places
Difficulty with speech or writing
Mood swings, irritability, depression
Disturbed sleep-too much, too little, early awakening
Exaggerated symptoms or worse hangover from alcohol

Besides Lyme disease, ticks can also transmit several serious co-infections including Babesiosis, Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Mycoplasma. It is estimated that 60% of people who have Lyme are co-infected. It is important to be tested for these by a Lyme reputable lab such as IgeneX in Palo Alto, CA. To me your symptoms sound like they may be from Lyme and Babesiosis. One hallmark symptom of Babesiosis is night sweats. Headaches can be another symptom.

When Lyme is a possibility, it is very important to see a knowledgeable doctor. Many doctors do not understand these illnesses and treat them with outdated protocols. No Lyme test is completely reliable, and results can vary by lab. If you would like a doctor recommendation for your area, let me know.

Do not give up, you will find out what is wrong.

Old 09-03-2006, 05:59 PM   #3
(male)

eDeal HB User
Re: Chronic symptoms slowly getting worse

Strange, I never considered Lyme disease, as I am pretty much an indoor person. But, a great deal of those symptoms do apply to me. Today I have had almost no strength in my left arm, and very little precision in the control of the fingers of that hand. This comes and goes, and pretty much always shows up after a hot shower, but is normally temporary. Today, its been pretty consistant. (I occassionally have tremors in that hand as well.)

I don't know if all of this has to be related, but these various minor annoyances seems to becoming more frequent.

Closed Thread