It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2006, 04:52 PM   #1
(male)

stainless HB User
extreme muscle/joint pain

All of my symptoms started about 1 week after finding a wood tick, not a deer tick.

For the last 2-3 months at least 1 joint area of my body becomes extremely sore for 1-3 days at a time. Sometimes 2 joints are effected at once. This past friday night it hit hard in my left shoulder area. I was up all night and sat. morning feeling as if I had been hit in the shoulder with a baseball bat. For a full day I was unable to lift my arm without assistance from my other arm without extreme pain. The pain in my shoulder is now manageable (monday) but the extreme pain is now in my left knee. I cannot enter my vehicle without assistance from my arm and my other leg. For the last 2-3 months I have had these symptoms in both of my shoulders twice, both elbows, both knees and random toes and fingers. The pain seams to be more intense in the larger muscle areas, Shoulders are always the most painful and fingers being the least painful. I have been tested twice for lymes and I will be going in tomorrow for more blood test's. At this point nothing has been found unusual by my doctor. These paines are not in my joints but rather the muscles surrounding joints. I never get these pains in a calf or forearm type muscle, there is always a joint in the area. Im not currently on any meds or have any allergies Im aware of.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Im hoping to get some ideas on what I should ask my doctor to test for next....any idea?

Last edited by stainless; 09-27-2006 at 08:34 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2006, 07:33 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

thegardener HB User
Re: extreme muscle/joint pain

I was treated for lyme disease even though my blood test was negative. It started with a red lacey rash all over my body and then the worst joint pain I have ever experienced in my life. I was unable to sleep. The pain disappeared after one day of antibiotic. I am convinced that I had lyme disease even though the blood test was negative because the pain stopped with treatment.

Old 09-26-2006, 08:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi stainless. I am sorry you are having so much pain.

Realize there are eight different ticks that can transmit disease. Since your symptoms began after finding the tick, it seems logical they are related to it. How did you remove the tick?

Lyme disease is a multi-system bacterial infection caused from the bite of an infected tick. Lyme is the second fastest growing infectious disease in the US after AIDS and the number one vector-borne disease in the US, yet nothing is being done to educate the public and medical community about its seriousness and prevalence. It is in every state.

No Lyme test is completely reliable and results can vary by lab. It is important to be tested at a Lyme reputable lab such as IgeneX in Palo Alto, CA. It is my understanding that the titer or ELISA is the least reliable test and the one most doctors run first. Is this the test you had done?

When Lyme disease is a possibility, it is very important to see a knowledgeable doctor. Many doctors do not understand Lyme and treat with outdated protocols. Besides Lyme, ticks can transmit several co-infections including Babesiosis, Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Mycoplasma. Many people who have Lyme are co-infected, and it may affect treatment choice and progress. It is important to be tested for these by a Lyme reputable lab such as IgeneX. The sooner an infection is treated, the better.

If you would like a doctor recommendation, let me know.

It is also important to learn as much as possible. I recommend reading
"Everything You Need To Know About Lyme Disease (2nd edition)" by Karen Vanderhoof-Forschner and Dr. Burrascano's treatment guidelines. He is one of the top Lyme doctors in the country, and many doctors follow his protocols.

Last edited by ticker; 09-26-2006 at 08:41 AM.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:04 PM   #4
(male)

stainless HB User

Thank you very much for the detailed reply. I wish I would have read this sooner but I had forgotten about this post under general health.

I went to my doctor yesterday to have more blood work done and just let him know more details about my symptoms that I have noticed since last time I met with him. Im having another Lymes test done along with a couple muscle enzyme tests I guess. I do not know who performs the Lymes test but I do know they are sent to California. i will be sure to get the details when the results come in.

As far as removing the tick goes, I know I did it wrong because this is the first tick I have had in probably 20 years, I just remember pulling them off as a kid so that was my first instinct. What is the proper way to do this?

I would also appreciate any doctors you could recomend. As much as I like my current doctor, he seams to be at a complete loss when it comes to my symptoms. I live in the Minneapolis area if you need to know. Thank you again, I appreciate all your help and advice.

Jon

Last edited by stainless; 09-27-2006 at 08:35 PM.

Old 09-28-2006, 03:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Jon. Do find out which tests are being done and by which lab.

The only safe way to remove a tick is with tweezers only by grasping its mouthparts as close to the skin as possible and pulling straight back. Do not put any substance on it (Vaseline, nail polish remover, alcohol, soap etc). Do not burn it with a hot match. Any of these methods will irritate the tick and it will regurgitate into your blood. This will increase the risk of infection.

Pulling it off with your fingers is dangerous because it makes the tick like a syringe with its fluids being squeezed into the bloodstream. Also, some tick-borne infections such as Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever can be transmitted by the hands coming into contact with the tick's saliva. Save the tick in a Ziploc bag or film canister. It can be tested for disease at IgeneX lab in Palo Alto, CA.

Below is a Lyme symptom list. You can have any combination of symptoms.

Unexplained fevers, sweats, chills, or flushing
Unexplained weight change--loss or gain
Fatigue, tiredness, poor stamina
Unexplained hair loss
Swollen glands
Sore throat
Testicular pain/pelvic pain
Unexplained menstrual irregularity
Unexplained milk production: breast pain
Irritable bladder or bladder dysfunction
Sexual dysfunction or loss of libido
Upset stomach
Change in bowel function-constipation, diarrhea
Chest pain or rib soreness
Shortness of breath, cough
Heart palpitations, pulse skips, heart block
Any history of a heart murmur or valve prolapse?
Joint pain or swelling
Stiffness of the joints, neck, or back
Muscle pain or cramps
Twitching of the face or other muscles
Headache
Neck creeks and cracks, neck stiffness, neck pain
Tingling, numbness, burning or stabbing sensations, shooting pains
Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy)
Eyes/Vision: double, blurry, increased floaters, light sensitivity
Ears/Hearing: buzzing, ringing, ear pain, sound sensitivity
lncreased motion sickness, vertigo, poor balance
Lightheadedness, wooziness
Tremor
Confusion, difficulty in thinking
Difficulty with concentration, reading
Forgetfulness, poor short term memory
Disorientation: getting lost, going to wrong places
Difficulty with speech or writing
Mood swings, irritability, depression
Disturbed sleep-too much, too little, early awakening
Exaggerated symptoms or worse hangover from alcohol

I do not know of any Lyme doctors in MN. I came across one possibility, but I do not have any information about this doctor except that he/she is supposed to be knowledgeable. The name is Dr. Vrchota in Winona, MN. It may be a place to start. If you can locate support groups in your area, they may be to recommend a knowledgeable doctor.

It sounds like your infection is relatively early, which is good. Getting the proper treatment early in the infection may reduce the chance of long-term complications.

Keep me posted on how you are doing okay? I hope you feel better soon.

Old 10-03-2006, 05:31 PM   #6
(male)

stainless HB User

Me again............

I recieved the results from my blood test today and all tests were negative again, including the lymes test. I scheduled an appointment with a rheumatologist but I cant get in until oct 26th.Im assuming this is the right type of doctor to see for my issues.

Fortunately I had 2-3 days of no symptoms and they happened over the weekend. Starting yesterday it moved into my right thumb and I have felt more nauseus (sp) than I have in the past with these symptoms. As I type it feels like it might be entering my left shoulder as well. Thanks again for all your help, it's nice to hear from someone who seams to have a clue as to what Im talking about.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:04 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi stainless. Do you have a copy of your results? Remember, no Lyme test is completely reliable and results can vary by lab. It is my understanding that the ELISA or titer is the least reliable and the one most doctors run first. Is this the test you had done?

Lyme symptoms do wax/wane and migrate around the body. The best doctor to see for tick-borne illnesses is a Lyme knowledeable one. This is very important. There are not many. I suggest seeing if you can locate Lyme support groups in your area for a doctor recommendation. You may also try contacting Dr. Vrchota in Winona, MN. This doctor is supposed to be Lyme knowledgeable but that is all I know. It may be a place to start. The Lyme disease board on this site is a great place to post also.

Good luck. I hope you can see a knowledgeable doctor soon.

Old 12-07-2006, 06:10 PM   #8
(male)

stainless HB User

Just thought I would thank you all for your help and give you an update. It appears I do not have lymes disease but rather Palindromic rheumatism. I still know very little about it but from the last few blood test's and my latest symptoms my doctor is certain of it. I have done some research online and it sure sounds like my exact symptoms. every blood test I have had show's an increase in my rheumatoid factor. It was 21 when this began and now it's 87. Just wanted to make a post and thank you all again. Sounds crazy but I was hoping for Lymes since it's cureable.

Closed Thread