It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2006, 09:03 AM   #1
(female)

mscates HB User
Unhappy Array of Symptoms, no explanation?

Hi,
I haven't recieved answers, and it is getting frustrating. Would someone please help me. I am so at the end of my rope!

I recently went to the Dr at a clinic, and he did a short physical. When he pressed on the right side of my abdomen it hurt so badly, he did it 4 times and I even tried to push his hand away out of defense. He is guessing it is my gallbladder and requested that I get health insurance so that he could do an ultra sound on me. I was relieved that someone was actually going to take the time to find out what is wrong with me as Iíve been feeling sick for some time now, but it seemed as though nobody would take me seriously. I have a feeling that there is something more wrong with me than my gallbladder though and am listing my symptoms.

About me:
22 year old Female
Overweight (technically obese but I donít look like it. Itís all in my belly)
Last blood test: Feb/March 2006

Symptoms: (in order of occurrence)
50 pound weight gain in 2-3 months. (2 years ago)
Fatigue
Pain in bones/joints
Pain in ribs on right side
Little pin***** red dots under skin, they appeared in a 2 day time span, on upper arms and on upper thighs, was told they were on the surface of skin but they are not and they do not blanch when putting a clear cup over and pressing down
Swollen lymph nodes under armpits, went down after a day or two
Bruises that appear overnight for no apparent reason, all over legs
Very Fatigued (all of those symptoms are what prompted me to go to the ER. They did a blood test and said that every thing was normal, which was in Feb., I was basically treated like a hypochondriac)
Swollen stomach
Very painful stomach on right side, hard but comes and goes
Still usually very tired *unless I have PMS at which point I get either more tired or have insomnia*
No weight loss
Change in appetite
Nauseous usually
Still have aches and pains in bones which come and go
A tremor that comes in my left hand when it is just resting, it is very infrequent
Constipation or Diarrhea, usually very burpy and gassy
Some blood from anal- may be from constipation, bright red on toilet paper. Same amount as a ďlight Ė regularĒ period. (Infrequent as well) I donít believe I have hemorrhoids.
Recently the pain in my side has become more dull and regular
Blood when brushing teeth but I have poor dental health (didnít go to dentist as a child )
Waking up at night VERY HOT despite windows open and fan blowing on me. No sweat though. ( I live in Michigan)
Sensitive to the heat and to the cold.
Drink TONS of water but still experience a dry white tongue and excessive saliva. (I know, it doesnít make sense) What I mean is my mouth is very dry, and so are my eyes, but I have excessive saliva; it just doesnít seem to work on my mouth.
Shooting pains in the back of my head.
Headaches front and sides. Sometimes back of head.
Sometimes head becomes numb in the back.
Memory loss- short term
Lack of concentration
Dizziness at times
Light headed
Pain in rectum

I know that this is a lot of different symptoms, but I have posted questions pertaining to individual ones and nobody is answering me. I am not sure why. I just want to know what should I tell my Dr when I see him on the 7th and should I call for an appointment now because of the anal bleeding or should I just wait, and do you think that these are all related or do you have any similar symptoms.

I honestly would appreciate any reply.
Thanks,
Tink

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2006, 10:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Re: Array of Symptoms, no explanation?

Just to start with basics, how are you eating habits?

Old 11-14-2006, 10:04 AM   #3
(female)

mscates HB User

Hi!

A reply. I think I fell out of my chair when I seen that

I am a vegetarian. I try not to eat a lot of processed foods. I go through periods of "bingeing" though (it is part of my mental illness) but they are not severe enough to counteract my normal healthy diet.

The past week or two I have not been hungry at all though and I have had a constant feeling of being full. I have only eaten out of habit.

Is that enough helpful information?

Tink

Old 11-14-2006, 10:52 AM   #4
(female)

courtenaynt HB User

Sounds like you need bloodwork done, pronto.

How much could that be without health insurance? I think that would be the first step.

Good luck.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:58 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi Tink. I am sorry you have so much going on. I know it is frustrating trying to find out what it wrong.

I suggest that you have your thyroid checked out. Thyroid disorders can cause many of the symptoms you have. Important tests to ask for are the Free T3, Free T4 (besides the T3, T4) and thyroid antibody tests in addition to the normal panel. They are not usually done, but are necessary for a comprehensive view. When you get the results, I suggest posting them on the thyroid board at this site. The people there are great and can help you interpret them.

Another possibility to consider is Lyme disease. Lyme disease is a multi-system bacterial infection caused from the bite of an infected tick. Lyme disease is the second fastest growing infectious disease in the US and the number one vector-borne disease in the US. It is in every state. Below is a Lyme symptom list. You can have any combination of symptoms.

Unexplained fevers, sweats, chills, or flushing
Unexplained weight change--loss or gain
Fatigue, tiredness, poor stamina
Unexplained hair loss
Swollen glands
Sore throat
Testicular pain/pelvic pain
Unexplained menstrual irregularity
Unexplained milk production: breast pain
Irritable bladder or bladder dysfunction
Sexual dysfunction or loss of libido
Upset stomach
Change in bowel function-constipation, diarrhea
Chest pain or rib soreness
Shortness of breath, cough
Heart palpitations, pulse skips, heart block
Any history of a heart murmur or valve prolapse?
Joint pain or swelling
Stiffness of the joints, neck, or back
Muscle pain or cramps
Twitching of the face or other muscles
Headache
Neck creeks and cracks, neck stiffness, neck pain
Tingling, numbness, burning or stabbing sensations, shooting pains
Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy)
Eyes/Vision: double, blurry, increased floaters, light sensitivity
Ears/Hearing: buzzing, ringing, ear pain, sound sensitivity
lncreased motion sickness, vertigo, poor balance
Lightheadedness, wooziness
Tremor
Confusion, difficulty in thinking
Difficulty with concentration, reading
Forgetfulness, poor short term memory
Disorientation: getting lost, going to wrong places
Difficulty with speech or writing
Mood swings, irritability, depression
Disturbed sleep-too much, too little, early awakening
Exaggerated symptoms or worse hangover from alcohol

When Lyme disease is a possibility, it is very important to see a knowledgeable doctor. No test is completely reliable, and results can vary by lab. Many doctors do not understand Lyme and treat with outdated protocols. Besides Lyme, ticks can transmit several co-infections including Babesiosis, Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Mycoplasma. Many people who have Lyme are co-infected, and it may affect treatment choice and progress. It is important to be tested for these by a Lyme reputable lab such as IgeneX in Palo Alto, CA.

Lyme and/or Babesiosis can cause the temperature fluctuations and Bartonella can cause swollen lymph nodes.

If you think this is a possibility and would like a doctor recommendation, let me know.

Don't give up. You will find out what is wrong.

Last edited by ticker; 11-15-2006 at 08:59 AM.

Old 11-15-2006, 09:48 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User

Sounds like Cushings disease.

Old 11-16-2006, 04:18 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Do you know if they checked your hepatic(liver) labs?,i am wondering just how your doc came up with a possible gallbladder problem when pressing on your abdomen?this really sounds more liver related than gallbladder,although,there is a close connection between the two organs.he is very right about obtaining that ultrasound tho.one done to check the liver and the gallbladder would be done at the same time since the gallbladder is directly connected to the liver itself.

normally,or in most cases,the GB symptoms are usually more upwards into the upper chest area with some people having pain more on the left side of the chest.why,i don't know but it is probably radiated pain from a nerve.liver problems would usually be more lower into the actual abdomenal area.along with some swelling of the liver itself wouldn't be all that unusual when liver problems are present.

but that ultrasound would really be your best and cheapest way at this point to see whats going on within the liver and GB.i hope you can somehow obtain one soon.good luck and please let us know how things are going for you.FB

Old 11-16-2006, 08:31 AM   #8
(female)

mscates HB User

Thank you for all of the replies and suggestions.

He didn't actually say it was the gallbladder, he pressed on the right side and it hurt so bad, he did it four times and he said that he felt some tenderness there and would have to do an ultrasound. I asked him if it could be my gallbladder and he just nodded. He didn't really say much. He didn't do any labs, I was establishing a Dr for medication purposes, and he just did a routine exam.

I have a constant dull pain there lately, but I am sure in the past I had one or two gallbladder attacks, the pain even radiated up into my chest and into my shoulder.

Maybe my bowel symptoms are a result of whatever is going on in the right side?

I will let you know what happens when I get the US but that won't be for a long time

Tink

Last edited by mscates; 11-16-2006 at 08:32 AM.

Old 11-16-2006, 11:58 AM   #9
(female)

rbecca HB User

Tink,

I hope you don't mind me asking, but you mentioned a "mental thing" and you were seing the doctor for medication purposes. I have a severe panic disorder,and a son with autism, we have both been through the ringer with trying different meds, and the side effects
What I'm wondering is whether the medication you are taking -for whatever reason- (if you don't want to say the med name, I understand) could be a component here also.. Just from personal experience, I have had some weird reactions to things,so has my son,that I've taken for years without problems and then I end up with a list like yours
I also lost my insurance recently,thank God my children still have theirs. I have found (the hard way) that many hospitals have programs that you have to fill out a million questions for that will allow you to be seen in their facilities, at little or no cost to you,depending on your income/situation. I also have diabetes, I can't get coverage through anyone w/out breaking the bank. Maybe you can take advantage of one of these programs to get your US faster, it sounds like you need it & a lot of lab work.

Good luck & feel better-becca

Old 11-16-2006, 12:28 PM   #10
(female)

mscates HB User

Becca,

Thank you for the concern. I haven't actually started the meds yet, my Dr just wanted me to establish a patient/med. dr relationship so when the time came I would be ready. That is why he did the routine exam and discovered my tender right side.

Unfortunately today I have another symptom to add, as my left side is feeling a lot of pain, and I think that is strange!

Grrr..
Hopefully I can figure it out soon.
Thanks again for the advice,
Tink

Closed Thread