It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2007, 12:43 PM   #1
(female)

neverland HB User
Poor health and trying to figure out whats causing fog, etc...

Please read. At risk of sounding like a Hypocondriac I am sick and tired of being sick and tired! I am in poor health and Drs have never figured out why it's been that way since I was young. Been through the wringer and back and still no answers. I am the only one in my family to have to wear glasses before their 50's. Had to start wearing them in 3rd grade. Also, in 3rd grade I was in the Excelled Learning Program, moved away for one month and then returned to the same school same classroom (no ELP this time.) I was forgetting things quickly and suddenly having difficulty retaining information Please note this memory change.) I went from a 6th grade reading level with no comprehension problems to having reading comprehension problems at even a 3rd grade level. I was placed in SLD (slow learning program). I was sent to a child Psych and I was given an IQ test. I tested at a genius level and the doc noted that I was quite bright and mature for my age but tests were never run to find the cause of the backslide. (At this point no head injuries) I was shy and withdrawn as a child and into my 20's. At 4 yrs of age I began grinding my teeth in my sleep and so TMJ became a problem too. At 9 yrs an ulcer. From 12 years old on my Dr.s had noted a Compromised Immune System with no known cause. I was diagnosed in 1993 with Bi-Polar disorder. Non responsive to any meds except the anti-anxiety meds. (I was on 13 meds for this until 2 yrs ago when I weaned down to just anti-anxiety.) Another IQ test in 1997 proved to be Genius level also but "glitchy" and fragmented. One question asked 3 times in 3 different ways I would give 3 differnt answers. Still the Drs. never investigated the cause. In 2003 I experienced rapid weight loss with no known cause I begged my Dr for help and after running several tests and ruling out any eating disorders, malnutrition or other disease that would compromise the immune system he mis diagnosed and TREATED the problem as Lymphictic Lukemia. After the mis diagnosis nightmare I stopped seeing a Dr. I also have resperitory problems that have been resistant to treatment even after being hospitalized twice for monitoring and treatment, did not get better but worse while in the hosp; In 2005 I recieved a severe head injury. ER Dr. one week later (Like I said I hate Drs and am stubborn, yes, I waited a week), performed MRI, x-ray, etc, labled it "Major Concussive Disorder." Referred me to a Neurologist for treatment and further testing. I did not go. I have now moved to a small town for for the slower pace and less stress. The TMJ has been back for about 1 yr now and HERE"'S THE BIG QUESTION: I have for for most of my life had boughts of, and am experiencing full force now, a feeling of walking in a "fog". Like I'm sleep walking. I feel like I have blinders on. Also, I lovingly call them "Brain Farts" quite often. I will in a heart beat forget my address, phone number, birth date, childs name, MY name...seriously. just as quickly it could come back and sometimes it takes a while. That's the problem I've had since young and I often wonder about the lost years I had being treated for bi-polar when these were a lot of the symptoms the Dr. based that diagnosis on. I have been reasonable and rational the entire time off of my psych meds but the fogginess continues. I can't concentrate or focus and I actually get dizzy and fatigued when I try. I get so frustrated and feel so stupid! Stupid! Stupid some times that I tend to isolate myself so as not to loke like an imbisal. I also have trouble hearing no matter how hard i try if there is ANY white noise or background noise like a car passing or a TV in another room. Please don't think because of the BP diagnoses that this is just some paranoid, manic rambling. It is not. i can assure you that I'm quite calm and rational as I'm sending this out I'm just desperate for some answers and advise. Lord knows the Drs have been blowing it off for too long. I want to go to the RIGHT Dr first to avoid another mis diagnoses and a million more treatments that won't help but hinder. Please, I'm desperate for an answer. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2007, 07:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: Poor health and trying to figure out whats causing fog, etc...

Hi neverland. I am sorry you have been sick for so long. I know it is frustrating.

I suggest that you consider Lyme disease as a possibility. Lyme disease is a multi-system bacterial infection caused from the bite of an infected tick. It can cause many seemingly unrelated symptoms, including neurological ones. Maybe you were bitten by a tick when you were a child.

Below is a Lyme symptom list. You can have any combination of symptoms.

Unexplained fevers, sweats, chills, or flushing
Unexplained weight change--loss or gain
Fatigue, tiredness, poor stamina
Unexplained hair loss
Swollen glands
Sore throat
Testicular pain/pelvic pain
Unexplained menstrual irregularity
Unexplained milk production: breast pain
Irritable bladder or bladder dysfunction
Sexual dysfunction or loss of libido
Upset stomach
Change in bowel function-constipation, diarrhea
Chest pain or rib soreness
Shortness of breath, cough
Heart palpitations, pulse skips, heart block
Any history of a heart murmur or valve prolapse?
Joint pain or swelling
Stiffness of the joints, neck, or back
Muscle pain or cramps
Twitching of the face or other muscles
Headache
Neck creeks and cracks, neck stiffness, neck pain
Tingling, numbness, burning or stabbing sensations, shooting pains
Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy)
Eyes/Vision: double, blurry, increased floaters, light sensitivity
Ears/Hearing: buzzing, ringing, ear pain, sound sensitivity
lncreased motion sickness, vertigo, poor balance
Lightheadedness, wooziness
Tremor
Confusion, difficulty in thinking
Difficulty with concentration, reading
Forgetfulness, poor short term memory
Disorientation: getting lost, going to wrong places
Difficulty with speech or writing
Mood swings, irritability, depression
Disturbed sleep-too much, too little, early awakening
Exaggerated symptoms or worse hangover from alcohol

When Lyme disease is a possibility, it is very important to see a knowledge- able doctor. Many doctors do not understand Lyme and treat with outdated protocols. No test is completely reliable, and results can vay by lab. Lyme needs continuous, aggressive treatment.

Besides Lyme and Babesiosis, ticks can also transmit several other infections Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Mycoplasma. Many people who have Lyme are co-infected. It is important to be tested for these by a Lyme reputable lab such as IgeneX in Palo Alto, CA.

If you think this may be a possibility and would like a doctor recommendation, let me know.

Do not give up. You will find out what is wrong.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:12 AM   #3
(female)

neverland HB User
Re: Poor health and trying to figure out whats causing fog, etc...

Oh My...Thank you sooo much 'ticker'. Just read your response and I am shaking! This could be the problem. I never knew the symptoms of Lyme D. and I have several on the list that I didn't note in my Post. Attributed them to other things...Heart fluttering/Palpit; Unexpl. fevers/cold sweats, Lactating since 1998, several Gastro problems (just had a colonoscopy and EGD still "?" marks,) flu symptoms persist but no flu (swollen glands, etc,) joint and muscle pain, swelling and stiffness especially in neck/shoulders, ect...YES, PLEASE If you could I could really use a DR recommendation..."Sigh". Old Fashioned Drs here in town but younger more up to date Dr.s in "Spartenburg and "Greenville" near me. Also don't know what KIND of Dr. I'd need to see. Oddly, if Lyme D. is the case I would be happy to know. At least I could start treating it and get on with my life! Thanks again for leading me in a probable direction. There may be hope for me yet?

Closed Thread