It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2007, 05:35 PM   #1
(female)

gunner00 HB User
Question blood test questions - possible fibro?

I have seen a doctor for over a year regarding chronic fatigue and pain issues. Have had several blood tests done and doctor thinks it may be fibromyalgia since my test don't match my physical exams.
First, ENA panel showed positive Histone, RNP, and Smith antibodys. Doctor believed it may be drug induced lupus due to taking doxicycline (acne drug). Have not taken drug in over a year. Recent ENA panel showed positive Centromere antibodys.
Confused by this. Has anyone had similar test results?
Have posted on fibro but no response.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2007, 08:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: blood test questions - possible fibro?

Hi gunner00. I am sorry you have been sick for so long. What kind of symptoms are you having?

You may want to consider Lyme disease as a possibility. Lyme disease is a multi-system bacterial infection caused from the bite of an infected tick. It can cause many seemingly unrelated symptoms. Lyme disease is the second fastest growing infectious disease in the US after AIDS and the number one vector-borne illness.

Below is a Lyme symptom list. You can have any combination of symptoms.

Unexplained fevers, sweats, chills, or flushing
Unexplained weight change--loss or gain
Fatigue, tiredness, poor stamina
Unexplained hair loss
Swollen glands
Sore throat
Testicular pain/pelvic pain
Unexplained menstrual irregularity
Unexplained milk production: breast pain
Irritable bladder or bladder dysfunction
Sexual dysfunction or loss of libido
Upset stomach
Change in bowel function-constipation, diarrhea
Chest pain or rib soreness
Shortness of breath, cough
Heart palpitations, pulse skips, heart block
Any history of a heart murmur or valve prolapse?
Joint pain or swelling
Stiffness of the joints, neck, or back
Muscle pain or cramps
Twitching of the face or other muscles
Headache
Neck creeks and cracks, neck stiffness, neck pain
Tingling, numbness, burning or stabbing sensations, shooting pains
Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy)
Eyes/Vision: double, blurry, increased floaters, light sensitivity
Ears/Hearing: buzzing, ringing, ear pain, sound sensitivity
lncreased motion sickness, vertigo, poor balance
Lightheadedness, wooziness
Tremor
Confusion, difficulty in thinking
Difficulty with concentration, reading
Forgetfulness, poor short term memory
Disorientation: getting lost, going to wrong places
Difficulty with speech or writing
Mood swings, irritability, depression
Disturbed sleep-too much, too little, early awakening
Exaggerated symptoms or worse hangover from alcohol

When Lyme disease is a possibility, t is very important to see a knowledge-able doctor. Many doctors do not understand Lyme and treat with outdated protocols. No test is completely reliable, and results can vay by lab. Lyme needs continuous, aggressive treatment.

Besides Lyme and Babesiosis, ticks can also transmit several other infections Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Mycoplasma. Many people who have Lyme are co-infected. It is important to be tested for these by a Lyme reputable lab such as IgeneX in Palo Alto, CA.

If you think this may be a possibility and would like a doctor recommendation, let me know.

I hope you can get some answers soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2007, 08:12 AM   #3
(female)

gunner00 HB User

Thanks for responding. Lymes disease has been ruled out.
Alittle more about my symptoms (I'll try to summarize).
In 2003, I blew out a disk in my back (L4/L5) and had a partial disk removal. Rehap was great and almost back to normal even though I was restricted. Have nerve damage down right leg and numbness in right foot since blow out of disk, which is a day to day problem depending on my activity level.
Exactly one year from the date of my surgury I irritated the scar tissue in my back and feared the disk blew completely but not the case.
After those symtoms subsided I started waking up in the morning stiff and sore in my hands and feet. I felt like I was 100 years old (only 39). It would take until early afternoon before those feeling would decrease. Then at night I would be unable to sleep and I would feel pain aching all over, as if my body was crushing me. Doctor gave me sleep meds, didn't help pain and made symptoms worse. Fatigue was now increasing my symptoms and was having to take naps to get through the day.
Currently, Doctor has been doing a wait and see approach, trying different meds and see how they work. Doctor says my physical symptoms/exams don't match blood work. So, doctor feels it is fibro. This I don't understand.
The pain in my hands is at its worse lately, can hardly hold a pencil at times. Have taken Trazodone, Elavil, and Paxil all have made my symptoms worse. Currently taking Flexeril (muscle relaxant) at night but doesn't alway work and pain meds which only take the edge off.
Very frustated with the waiting game at this point, can't afford to be sick from taking new med (family and job), and tired of everyone thinking its all in my head.
Sorry so long winded,
gunner00

Old 02-11-2007, 04:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi gunner00. I know it is frustrating to feel bad and not know why.

What Lyme test did you have done? It likely was the ELISA or titer. No Lyme test is completely reliable. It is my understanding the ELISA is the least reliable test and the one most doctors run first. To rule out or confirm Lyme disease, it is very important to see a Lyme knowledgeable doctor. Lyme disease can be hard to diagnose.

I also recommend having your thyroid checked. Ask to have the Free
T3, Free T4 (besides the T3, T4) and antibody tests in addition to the normal panel. They are not usually done but are necessary for a comprehensive view. These are simple blood tests. Realize that even if your results are in the normal range, they may not be optimal for you.

Do not give up, you will find out what is wrong.

Closed Thread