It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2007, 02:34 PM   #1
(female)

tsmith63020 HB User
BEGGING for HELP! In bad shape??!!?? Ideas?

I've posted on the Research board, about a list of other symptoms I have...My problems really started March of 2006...It's been almost a year, and I am only worse for the wear. If anybody has ANY ideas, suggestions, ANYTHING please tell me.

Last March I contracted some kind of virus (I suppose) during my sons stay at a Children's hospital in St Louis. It was one of the worst sinus infections, that quickly developed into a pneumonia/bronchitis illness. However, I lost my appetite, lost a whopping 30lb in ONE month, diarreah, no energy, palpatations, etc... I was treated first with Amoxcillin. Didn't work. Went to the Urgent care clinic a week later, given Keflex. Didn't work. Went to the ER, was given a Z-Pack and steroids...Long story short, in one month and two weeks, I was on SIX different antibiotics. That last from last March until last April...

After that...They found blood in my urine, treated me with Levaquin...Two sinus infections over the summer...Two more rounds of antibiotics... Dr. started getting nervous, nobody sure why I was sick so much...Told me to stay away from antibiotics if possible for several months. Then came September. I switched Drs....Since last April I have been running temperatures several times a week....Always low grade, but up to 100.3 degrees...Feeling absolutely drained of all energy, sick...And it seemed like I caught every germ that went around. Anyway, after getting a new Dr because the old one was pumping me full of antibiotics and wouldn't see why I was so sick all the time...I started having big trouble with sinuses. Went on amoxcillin...Didn't work. Went on Augmentin, didn't work. Finally he told me it'd take a lot of antibiotics to get rid of it...So...After four rounds of back to back antibiotics, I still have problems with my sinuses. THEN...Last month came the UTI's...Now on my third round of antibiotics for them after Bactrim, Cipro...Currently on Macrobid. Not to mention, in the past two months, I've had massive dental work...Three pulls, a dry socket, a root canal, and four fills. I have severe MVP, so I take 2000mg of Amoxil before appts...Not to mention a round of penicillin for an abscessed tooth...

I have been on an obscene amount of antibiotics, and am NO better. I am sick every day, fevers still remain...And I can't get better. What in the world should I do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2007, 03:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: BEGGING for HELP! In bad shape??!!?? Ideas?

Hi tsmith63020. I am sorry you have been sick for so long, I know it is frustrating.

What symptoms are you having currently? How did the rounds of antibiotics affect your symptoms? Did they get better temporairily, get worse, or stay the same?

Do you think it is possible you may have Lyme disease? Lyme disease is a multi-system bacterial infection caused from the bite of an infected tick. It can cause many seemingly unrelated symptoms. It is the second fastest growing infectious disease in the US after AIDS. It is in every state.

Below is a Lyme symptom list. You can have any combination of symptoms.

Unexplained fevers, sweats, chills, or flushing
Unexplained weight change--loss or gain
Fatigue, tiredness, poor stamina
Unexplained hair loss
Swollen glands
Sore throat
Testicular pain/pelvic pain
Unexplained menstrual irregularity
Unexplained milk production: breast pain
Irritable bladder or bladder dysfunction
Sexual dysfunction or loss of libido
Upset stomach
Change in bowel function-constipation, diarrhea
Chest pain or rib soreness
Shortness of breath, cough
Heart palpitations, pulse skips, heart block
Any history of a heart murmur or valve prolapse?
Joint pain or swelling
Stiffness of the joints, neck, or back
Muscle pain or cramps
Twitching of the face or other muscles
Headache
Neck creeks and cracks, neck stiffness, neck pain
Tingling, numbness, burning or stabbing sensations, shooting pains
Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy)
Eyes/Vision: double, blurry, increased floaters, light sensitivity
Ears/Hearing: buzzing, ringing, ear pain, sound sensitivity
lncreased motion sickness, vertigo, poor balance
Lightheadedness, wooziness
Tremor
Confusion, difficulty in thinking
Difficulty with concentration, reading
Forgetfulness, poor short term memory
Disorientation: getting lost, going to wrong places
Difficulty with speech or writing
Mood swings, irritability, depression
Disturbed sleep-too much, too little, early awakening
Exaggerated symptoms or worse hangover from alcohol

When Lyme disease is a possibility, it is very important to see a knowledge-
able doctor. Many doctors do not understand Lyme and treat with outdated protocols. Besides Lyme, ticks can transmit several co-infections including Babesiosis, Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Mycoplasma. Many people who have Lyme are co-infected, and it may affect treatment choice and progress. It is important to be tested for these by a Lyme reputable lab such as IgeneX in Palo Alto, CA.

If you think this is a possibility and if you would like a doctor recommenda-tion, let me know.

Hang in there okay?

Old 02-26-2007, 02:46 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

plasva HB User

Last time you had a complete blood count done, what was the white count? The differential (how many of each type of white blood cell?)

Have they ever taken a sample from your nasal passages and sent it to be cultured and identified? (And if so, any unusual bacterias found?)

Try to get copies of all the labs you've had and results; any abnormalities?

Does your doctor really think the UTIs are related to the sinus issues? (If you're sexually active and using anything containing spermicides, that could be causing the UTIs.)

The antibiotics have undoubtably destroyed all the good bacteria in your intestines, so you would really benefit from high amounts of probiotics (good bacteria.) They sell capsules at health food stores. Buy one that's refrigerated, far away from its expiration date, containing lactobacillus acidophilus in the billions (not millions) per pill. The health of your intestines/colon is one of the front lines of your immune system.

I am sorry I'm not sure what you could have. I do agree you should be tested for lyme disease, but since this was something you picked up at the hospital, my instinct says it's a nasty antibiotic-resistant bacteria. And I think they need to do more to I.D. that bacteria and run sensitivity tests on it (tells you which antibiotics it's susceptible to if any.)

Drink a lot of clean pure water every day, stay away from refined sugar and white flour as much as possible, and be sure to get enough sleep every night...

Old 02-26-2007, 04:01 PM   #4
(female)

tissie1 HB User

I have had similar problems. Been to an allergist, done herbs, washes, sprays, meds, decongestants, on over a month of antibiotics right now. Going to an ENT but not sure what that will accomplish. Had a CT Scan done a couple of years ago and that showed Sinusitus. I feel for you!!! I get a flushed face (not sure the temp), etc. my sinuses have always been crappy but it was until August of 2006 that this all started and has gone down hill.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:35 PM   #5
(female)

tsmith63020 HB User

I've had lots of labs. I've asked, and although the Dr was vague, he said my labs were fine. From sneaking a look, I know I have REALLY low calcium.

The fevers really worry me. And the infections I catch. He doesn't think the UTI are related to sinuses, I just get so many different infections. ALL the time!

Can you have more than one infection at the same time?
Also...do probiotics really work? I'd be willing to try anything.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:16 AM   #6
(female)

tissie1 HB User
Red face Re: BEGGING for HELP! In bad shape??!!?? Ideas?

probiotics ... I am taking them for the sheer fact that antibiotics do more damage than good in your intestines! I do know that I am more regular when I am on them. You can get Candida which can cause too many symptoms to list. I am taking a pearl type priobiotic from cvs right now. I just started taking Maxum Greens 3000 from gnc. I know they say to stay away from a lot of processed foods, sugar and white flour.
I know in August I was using a spermicidal gel and then got sick after it. I got a bit of a UTI then and then the whole sinus thing. I am so sure they are connected but then again I am really confused about all this! Some places I have read a fever doesn't go along with sinus problems and some places it says it does. It is all very conflicting... and the doctors don't seem to help. My doctor said "what do you want to do"... ha! If I know what to do and what would cure me... well maybe I should be a doctor if I knew that! DUH>

Old 08-31-2008, 07:14 PM   #7
(female)

mariwesty HB User

Just wondering if you have been tested for fungus or yeast in your system.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:19 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Sounds like you have one of those potent bacterium infections that antibiotics do not touch.

My neighbor had one and was sick off and on like you describe. Finally they found out what his problem was after a year. They have little in way of treating the antibiotic resistant big bugs.

You may need to see an infectious disease physician.

Closed Thread