It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2007, 01:28 AM   #1
(female)

lori.bret HB User
Re: Bell's Palsy~~any one else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSteam View Post
Hi Everyone, a couple of nights ago my 15 year old daughter's face (the left side) went paralyzed. I called a nurse who had me bring her to the ER. She was diagnosed with Bell's Palsy. The dr said it is highly unusual in such a young person. They are having her take a steriod and an anti-viral. They believe that people with Bell's Palsy have been exposed to the chicken pox or shingles virus. My grandmother came down with shingles a month ago, and we were spending a lot of time with her due to my grandfather's heart attack.

My daughter's left eye is staying wide open and yet she is complaining about blurry vision in that eye. The dr completely dismissed her worries and said nothing about it. She is using artificial tears to keep the eye from drying out and it does blink. Has anyone else had blurry vision with Bell's Palsy?

Another thing that worries me is that she had been complaining about neck pain two days prior. I'm wondering if this is related. The dr dismissed this also. Any one else have Bell's Palsy? Can you tell me anything about it? Thanks!
Hello. I hope I can be of some help to you with this, as I have had Bells Palsy twice. First off, it really sucks. Having said that, I was first hit with Bells Palsy when I was 17 and I was told the same thing---it doesnt usually hit someone so young. That doesnt help much. I dont know how severely or to what degree she has it with. Mine hit on the left side first and lasted 9 excrutiatingly long months. My left eye would not blink at all, and I had to wear a patch at night to sleep. (to keep the eye closed and lubricated)
I was in grade 10 and I actually dropped out of school for the whole semester and did my courses through the independent learning centre. (did courses at home and mailed them to my teacher for grading) I also did, and still do, suffer quite painful headaches. (mostly migraine and tension)
The second time I got it was when I was 21 and it literally hit the right side of my face 3 days before my wedding. Clearly, I smiled in not a single picture. That time it lasted only 3 months and this felt like a gift compared to the first time I had it.I sympathize with your daughter. It is not easy having to go through this. I also have never had chicken pox or the shingles. I dont know if that fact is impoartant or not. And I have severe neck and shoulder pain, then and now. Ive also recently been diagnosed with degenerative disc disease and arthritis.Also, when I had bells palsy, it was difficult to form some words, as half your lips arent responding. Also had difficulty with straws.
One thing I did alot the second time I got it was to sit in a nice hot bath and hold warm washcloths over the paralyzed side of my face and also massaged my face alot with my fingertips, just did this all the time. I dont know if that helped and if that was why it was only 3 months the second time I got it. (but clearly it cant hurt to try)
I am 35 now and have not had it since I was 21 (knock on wood)
I also still get really bad headaches, and sometimes my face feels numb and tingly but I am keeping my fingers crossed that I never get it again.
I hope some of this helps and will check back here in case you have other questions for me that I did not address in this posting.
Until then, Please tell your daughter to try and think positive and be strong.
Sincerely,
Lori

The following user gives a hug of support to lori.bret:
ddfort (06-16-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2007, 01:47 AM   #2
(female)

lori.bret HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFH View Post
cwjackson,

Have you gotten a second or even third opinion on your son's Bells Palsy?
I only ask because the average timespan between recurrences is 10 years (if a reacurrence does at all happen) and most doctors take the laid back approach figuring Bells Palsy heals mostly on it's own.

I would get another doctor's opinion being he was diagnosed last summer and now has a recurrence. It may be something else that needs to be treated in a different manner.

Good Luck!
Hi there, My name is Lori and I answered another lady's question on here in regard to her 15 year old having it--I am the one who had it twice in less than 4 years. Anyway, I continued to read through more of them and realized I forgot to mention that my 12 year old niece had it also for a few months and she was living in New Jersey at the time. Then I noticed something odd--that you live in New York. Has your Doctor checked into the possibility of it having anything to do with tic season? As I stated earlier, I live in Canada and am unfamiliar with alot of info on tics etc.. but I thought it couldnt hurt to mention it and check it out.
Good Luck
Lori

Old 03-14-2007, 01:52 AM   #3
(female)

lori.bret HB User

Hi there, Just wanted to let you know that I had Bells Palsy twice and not once did I take any kind of steroid and mine went away in its own good time. I am only writing this because I can sense your concern at what the steroids are doing to her and I really dont think she should have to stay on them if they are doing more harm than good.
Concerned, and best of luck
Lori

Old 03-15-2007, 10:00 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

BlueSteam HB User

Wow, I had no idea that anyone was still writting on my post--it's such a big issue and severely affects your life. I appreciate all the information!!

My daughter seems to have fully recovered from her Bell's Palsy, but one thing no one thought about was her eye sight. I have no idea whether or not it's related but she went from having perfect eye sight to being severly nearsighted in one eye. It happens to be the eye that was on the side of her face affected by the Bell's Palsy. I guess it was about a month after she had recovered when she started complaining about not being able to see the chalk board at school. Because it hadn't been that long since she had been tested, I somewhat dismissed it. So much for being a good mom! I feel awful--can't tell you how bad I feel. Now, I'm left wondering if it was the Bell's Palsy that did it.

My father is considered "legally blind", not the blind like you see all black, but just that nearsighted. At my last visit my dr told me the same thing. I'm not sure what constitutes being legally blind. I often go without my glasses, but can't see well Don't worry---I always wear them to drive. So, I'm not sure if it was her "fate", or the Bell's Palsy--but it's left me wondering.

I think it was last week that she felt that the Bell's Palsy was coming back--but I saw no sign of it. If she complains on any neck pain whatsoever, I will be on top of it.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

My advice to anyone who has Bells Palsy is to get evaluated for tick-borne illnesses by a Lyme knowledgeable doctor. These diseases need to be aggressively, the sooner the better.

If anyone needs a doctor recommendation, let me know here or post on the Lyme disease board at this site.

Old 03-17-2007, 07:44 AM   #6
(female)

wilsy HB User

I took BP three years ago and still have the signs (I am unable to move the right side of my face). I was told by ENT that it was a viral infection. Mine started with tingling and a sore at each side of my eye. ENT said it was not BP as if it was it would have lasted only 6 to 9 weeks.I am constantly taking eye infections.

The following user gives a hug of support to wilsy:
WhiteBuffalo (12-28-2010)
Old 03-18-2007, 08:22 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wilsy, I suggest that you be evaluabted for tick-borne illnesses by a Lyme knowledgeable doctor. What state are you located in?

Old 03-18-2007, 08:37 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

music12 HB User

I agree with the last poster. Bells Palsy is symptom often associated with Lyme Disease. You would need to have your blood sent to a reputable Lyme lab and there are only a few in the US. You might do some research and also visit the Lyme board for more information.

Old 03-19-2007, 01:46 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Jaysea HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSteam View Post
My daughter seems to have fully recovered from her Bell's Palsy, but one thing no one thought about was her eye sight. I have no idea whether or not it's related but she went from having perfect eye sight to being severly nearsighted in one eye. It happens to be the eye that was on the side of her face affected by the Bell's Palsy. I guess it was about a month after she had recovered when she started complaining about not being able to see the chalk board at school. Because it hadn't been that long since she had been tested, I somewhat dismissed it. So much for being a good mom! I feel awful--can't tell you how bad I feel. Now, I'm left wondering if it was the Bell's Palsy that did it.

My father is considered "legally blind", not the blind like you see all black, but just that nearsighted. At my last visit my dr told me the same thing. I'm not sure what constitutes being legally blind. I often go without my glasses, but can't see well Don't worry---I always wear them to drive. So, I'm not sure if it was her "fate", or the Bell's Palsy--but it's left me wondering.

I think it was last week that she felt that the Bell's Palsy was coming back--but I saw no sign of it. If she complains on any neck pain whatsoever, I will be on top of it.

The Bell's Palsy paralyzes the muscles that control eye movement on the effected side and if the muscles are not fully recoved yet, her eyesight will be effected.

I had BP about 2 years ago. I'd read an article about B12 deficiency causing BP and that the natural form of B12, methyl B12, which is easily absorbed under the tongue, could cure it. I tried it and my BP was gone in 3 days . No kidding ! I've recommended it to others with BP and it worked for them too.
I took a sublingual methyl B12 tab 1000 mcg, with folic acid in it, once a day.
B12 always needs to be balanced with folic acid and B6 to work effectively.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:20 AM   #10
(female)

wilsy HB User

Ticker
I am from the UK. Do you think it is worth mentioning lymes to my GP. Is it poss to get recovery after 3 years

Thanks

Old 03-20-2007, 06:04 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Wilsy. If Lyme disease is causing the Bell's Palsy, it will get better with treatment.

It is important to see a knowledgeable doctor. Many doctors do not understand Lyme and follow outdated treatment protocols. No test is completely reliable, and results can vary by lab. It is my understand that the ELISA or titer is the least reliable test and the one most doctors run first.

I have heard of two Lyme knoweldgeable doctors in the UK: Dr. Andrew Wright who runs a private clinic in Bolton called the Complete Fatigue Clinic, and Dr. David Owen in Cardiff.

I hope you can get some answers soon. Keep us posted okay?

Old 07-08-2007, 09:11 PM   #12
(female)

kimberlye HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysea View Post
The Bell's Palsy paralyzes the muscles that control eye movement on the effected side and if the muscles are not fully recoved yet, her eyesight will be effected.

I had BP about 2 years ago. I'd read an article about B12 deficiency causing BP and that the natural form of B12, methyl B12, which is easily absorbed under the tongue, could cure it. I tried it and my BP was gone in 3 days . No kidding ! I've recommended it to others with BP and it worked for them too.
I took a sublingual methyl B12 tab 1000 mcg, with folic acid in it, once a day.
B12 always needs to be balanced with folic acid and B6 to work effectively.
My boyfriend has bells palsy. Can I get that B12 supplement you took anywhere? I would like to try that with him. I've been reading everything on Bell's Palsy and I'm so scared for him that he won't fully recover.

Kim

Old 07-10-2007, 02:41 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kim Bell's Palsy is one symptom of Lyme disease. How long has he had it? Does he have other symptoms?

Old 07-15-2007, 06:57 AM   #14
(female)

kimberlye HB User

He had it for about two weeks. It's pretty much cleared up now. The hospital gave him an antiviral medicine but it was very scary when he had it. He really doesn't have any other symptoms no soreness of the neck or anything like that. And it seems to be pretty much gone now so I guess he was lucky.

Old 07-15-2007, 06:59 AM   #15
(female)

kimberlye HB User

I told him he should get tested for Lyme Disease just in case but he won't do it. We live in the country and I guess a tick bite could have happened but he says he hasn't been biten by anything. He says he would know if he had. I'm not sure if you would know if you have been biten by a tick or not. I guess if he gets sick or it comes back maybe I'll be able to get him to get tested.

Closed Thread