It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2007, 09:03 AM   #1
(female)

ashley84 HB User
Question Please Help. I'm tired and I'm running out of fight.

Before I get into the detailed symptoms list... I should introduce myself. I am 22 years old, and a full-time college student of Audio Engineering. I'm also a blues singer and songwriter (when I'm well enough that is). Ever since I was a child, I've been experiencing odd symptoms. I've had a tremor in my hands since I was probably 7 years old. I would always complain as a child, after I ate, that the food made me feel sick. I didn't like sweets very much because of the sick feeling I would get. In fact, family would always give me candy as a child, and I'd stuff it in my huge dresser drawer and hardly eat it. When I moved to Texas, I became known at my doctors office for being "The Asthma Child". It was quite severe, with frequent bronchitis. In my younger teen years, my mother always claimed I was lazy when I didn't clean something up, but she wasn't listening to me when I said I didn't have enough energy to do it. Cleaning my room would literally wipe me out. In 2004, I saw the family doctor about sugar not making me feel good. He tested me for diabetes (which came out negative) and said I had Benign Essential Tremor. I found out recently, he actually reported I had hypoglycemia to the insurance company and never reported the tremor. Somehow he NEVER told me. I went to a new doctor in '06 for the same problems, and he gave me a GTT, they watched me like a hawk and found out I had hypogclyemia. The doctor told me to read a book and learn how to control it myself. He sent me to an endocrinologist who tested me for addison's, told me I had an anxiety disorder and that I don't really have hypoglycemia. I also got sent to a dietian... whom of which I told certain foods were making me sick, told me I was fine and to eat them anyway. Well, his diet ended up making me about 5X worse. This year I went to a woman general practicitioner. She had me diary everything I was eating, and saw that I was wheezing after cheese and wheat. Took it out of my diet, and my chronic diahrrea stopped (it still wasn't normal)... She then told me to never eat gluten again.

I've had some suspicions about my development in my mother's womb. She ate SO much sugar it was messing up her blood levels, and the doctor told her to stop. She of course didn't... Alright now, here's the list of symptoms... Bear with me, I really need some suggestions:

-Exhausted VERY easily - chronic.
-Chronic Fatigue.
-Hungry often & if food is not ingested like clockwork numbness, blurred vision, and dizziness occur quickly (about every 2 hours).
-Some days I have energy to function, and others I can only get up to go to the bathroom.
-Frequently dehydrated
-Bloated feeling 1-2 times per week
-Fuzzy thinking - several times a day
-Vertigo once per day
-Dizziness 8-10 times a day
-Numbness in hands and feet (accompanied by blurred vision). 8-10 times a day. Sometimes my tongue and calves will get numb along with it.
-General feeling of unwellness 98% of the time
-Diharrea, 6 months consistent (at times for a month straight)
-Blood Pressure is erratic (sometimes its normal, sometimes its low, sometimes it drops when I stand up).
-Heart rate jumps about 20 beats from sitting to standing.
-Blood sugar levels are erratic.
-Muscle Pain in arms, legs, lower/upper back, mornings if not constant throughout the day
-Very sensitive to foods (especially all processed ingredients), constant
-Headaches, once every few days
-Vivid nightmares, 1-2 times per week
-Severe Allergies, constant
-Sporadic rashes, has itchy burning feeling, 1-2 times per week
-Heartburn, occurs when I eat protien and starch together
-Feeling of a Rock/solid mass in my stomach, occurs when protiens are eaten with starch (such as a deli sandwich)
-If over 80 degrees, my body feels heavy and almost like its being attacked, I get headaches and extremely tired
-Below 71, cannot keep warm

New Symptoms (began within the past 3 days):

-Joint pain, stiffness, and swelling in hands, wrists, knees, ankles, and toes.
-Slight fever. Temp is normally 97.3-97.6, and its been 98.9

Previous Doctor Diagnosis:
Hypoglycemia
Benign Essential Tremor
Asthma
Hereditary Neuropathy
Gluten-Intolerance

I've been on the hypoglycemic diet for about 10 months now. I do not eat anything processed. Only healthy oils, everything gluten free, soy cheese, beans, 5-10 severings of fruits and veggies daily, and a multivitamin extracted from food, along with 1000mg a day of calcium citrate. The synthetic ones always made me feel sicker.

Last night, I was so upset... I broke down and was practically ready to give up. My husband got a little more fight in me after that. I've been reading a book called "Never Be Sick Again". It talks about cells, how certain nutrients affect them positively, how the cells work, etc. I've tried healing with diet, and I felt alright (meaning I could function minimally)... Instead now I'm getting this arthritic symptoms.

Any suggestions you have of what it could be would be greatly appreciated. Everyone thinks differently, and sometimes things don't instantly flash in a doctors mind like a neon sign. Ever since childhood, I've pretty much had the SAME blood tests over and over again. They check my thyroid and for anemia. I never had either of those things in the millions of times I've been poked in my life. My last MRI was in 2004, my last catscan was probably a year ago, and they did some chest X-rays. The doctor in the emergency room said my chest x-rays were fine... then the radiologist looked over it and said there was something on my back that looked a little more dense than it should, but they just wanted me to get another one done because they thought it was a fluke. Well, I and my doctor both completely forgot to do another one.

Thank you all in advance. I'm so tired of suffering with my health.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2007, 01:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: Please Help. I'm tired and I'm running out of fight.

I'm taking a wild guess, and I don't know that much about it, but have you considered the possibility of Lyme Disease? Some of your symptoms fit, why don't you check out the board on this site and post your symptoms and read what others have said.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi Ashley84. I am sorry you have been sick for so long. I know it is frustrating not knowing what is wrong.

I agree with Rosequartz about considering Lyme disease as a possibility. Lyme disease is a multi-system bacterial infection caused from the bite of an infected tick. It can cause many seemingly unrelated symptoms. Lyme disease is the second fastest growing infectious disease after AIDS in the US and the number one vector-borne disease. It is in every state; however, the majority of the medical community is ignorant about is seriousness and prevelence. As a result, it can take some time to get diagnosed.

Below is a Lyme symptom list. You can have any combination of symptoms.

Unexplained fevers, sweats, chills, or flushing
Unexplained weight change--loss or gain
Fatigue, tiredness, poor stamina
Unexplained hair loss
Swollen glands
Sore throat
Testicular pain/pelvic pain
Unexplained menstrual irregularity
Unexplained milk production: breast pain
Irritable bladder or bladder dysfunction
Sexual dysfunction or loss of libido
Upset stomach
Change in bowel function-constipation, diarrhea
Chest pain or rib soreness
Shortness of breath, cough
Heart palpitations, pulse skips, heart block
Any history of a heart murmur or valve prolapse?
Joint pain or swelling
Stiffness of the joints, neck, or back
Muscle pain or cramps
Twitching of the face or other muscles
Headache
Neck creeks and cracks, neck stiffness, neck pain
Tingling, numbness, burning or stabbing sensations, shooting pains
Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy)
Eyes/Vision: double, blurry, increased floaters, light sensitivity
Ears/Hearing: buzzing, ringing, ear pain, sound sensitivity
lncreased motion sickness, vertigo, poor balance
Lightheadedness, wooziness
Tremor
Confusion, difficulty in thinking
Difficulty with concentration, reading
Forgetfulness, poor short term memory
Disorientation: getting lost, going to wrong places
Difficulty with speech or writing
Mood swings, irritability, depression
Disturbed sleep-too much, too little, early awakening
Exaggerated symptoms or worse hangover from alcohol

When Lyme disease is a possibility, it is very important to see a knowledge-able doctor. Many doctors do not understand Lyme and treat with outdated protocols. Besides Lyme, ticks can transmit several co-infections including Babesiosis, Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Mycoplasma. Many people who have Lyme are co-infected, and it may affect treatment choice and progress. It is important to be tested for these by a Lyme reputable lab such as IgeneX also. If you need a doctor recommendation, let me know.

It is also important to learn as much as possible. I recommend reading Dr. Joseph Burrascano's 2005 Diagnostic Hints and Treatment Guidelines For Lyme and Other Tick Borne Illnesses. He is one of the top Lyme doctors in the country, and many Lyme doctors follow his protocols. I also recommend the book "Everything You Need To Know About Lyme Disease (2nd edition)" by Karen Vanderhoof-Forschner.

I also suggest having your thyroid tested. Thyroid disorders can cause many symtpoms. Ask to have the Free T3, Free T4 (besides the T3, T4) and thyroid antibody tests done. They are not usually done but are necessary for a comprehensive view. If you post your results on the thyroid board at this site, the people can help you interpret them.

Absolutely do NOT give up. You will find out what is wrong. If a doctor cannot or will not help you, see another one. I know it is frustrating, but it is their job to help and you are paying them. You deserve to feel better! Please keep us posted on how you are doing okay?

Old 03-23-2007, 08:14 PM   #4
(female)

ashley84 HB User
Post Re: Please Help. I'm tired and I'm running out of fight.

My husband and I are going to push for tests involving parasites, lupus, and anything else. Autoimmune diseases run in my family. My grandmother has lupus, my mom has a slow thyroid, etc. Its frustrating reading the lab results. I learned with the GTT even though it said normal range... certain results not normal (such as 198 after 30 minutes of the glucose drink). I'm 5'0", very small boned, and 102lbs. Something on the higher end of normal, might be really high for me. We're going to demand he test EVERY level in my blood, and do a complete full workup.

Does anyone know what the iron results mean on blood tests? My Total Iron was 79, Iron Binding Capacity 475 (flagged as high on the test), saturation 17%. This was from Nov. 07, 2006.

I just realized my Hemoglobin levels came up as borderline. Low is under 3.4 and borderline is 3.4-5.4 and normal is over 5.4. My levels were 4.9.

Last edited by ashley84; 03-23-2007 at 08:23 PM.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:51 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Jenteal HB User

I just saw a show on the Discovery Channel about a whole family that was allergic to glutten or otherwise known as Celiac Disease . It's a life-long autoimmune disorder of the intestinal tract, which may have its onset in childhood or adulthood.

I did alot of research on it cause it was new to me. The gene carries the trait, and the trait can be passed down from one family member to another. It is treatable and the family I that was on tv had to eat everything completly gluten and wheat free. After they changed their diet none of them have been sick to this day unless they had the a cold or flu.

Here are the bad side effects that happen to a person if they are allergic to gluten. Since nurtients can't be absorbed some vitamins that aren't absorbed can cause a larger portion of the small intestine to become damaged, with gas, and bloating.

Without the following vitamins the stuff in brackets can happen. Vitamin B1 and B12 (numbness in extremities), Iron (anemia), Folic Acid (birth defects), Calcium and Vitamin D (bones and muscles), Vitamin E (nerves), Vitamin A (eyes) and Vitamin K (blood clotting)

Common symptoms are: diarrhea ,constipation ,
abdominal pain , excessive gas , fuzzy-mindedness after gluten or wheat ingestion ,burning sensations in the throat , querulousness, irritability , inability to concentrate
pale, malodorous, bulky stools , frequent, foamy diarrhea
itchy rash,anemia ,chronic fatigue ,weakness , bone pain , easily fractured bones , abnormal or impaired skin sensation ,paleness ,pot belly with or without painful bloating, Joint and bone aches, wite flecks on finger nailts.

There are so many things if you do a search you will find tons of info.

Why not just try for a month to eat things with out gluten and wheat. If that family that I saw on tv can do it so can you. They had 4 kids ages 4 months to 6 years of age. There has to be some kiind of glutne food out there that you will like.

It cheaper than doctors at the moment. Good Luck

Jenteal

Old 03-23-2007, 09:50 PM   #6
(female)

ashley84 HB User
Post Re: Please Help. I'm tired and I'm running out of fight.

Thanks, I didn't know ALL those symptoms could come from a gluten-intolerance!

To add to my other post... I haven't eaten meat in over a month. I ate a chicken breast with broccoli tonight (at about 8:00, its now 11:30). At first I was really nauscious, my stomach hurt, it felt like it was a solid mass... 30 minutes later I was starving and ate a fruit cup. I feel like I need to eat the entire kitchen right now. I haven't been ravenously hungry like this since I last ate meat. Think I'm staying away from meat now! This sucks lol. I've got a bottomless pit for a stomach right now.

Old 03-24-2007, 03:48 PM   #7
(female)

ashley84 HB User

It seems like every disease has the same symptoms? When researching how do you tell whats a possiblity to get tested for?

Old 03-24-2007, 05:48 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Jenteal HB User

It'a test for celiac disease but because the symptoms are varied and similar to other diseases like crones disease, chronic fatigue, iron deficiency, irritable bowel syndrome and intestinal infections can all have similar symptoms.

There may be a cross over between gluten intolerance and some of these illnesses; an personcould have a combination of issues worsened by unsuitable food choices. YOur doctor can test for raised levels of certain auto-antibodies in their blood. The antibodies are produced when the body senses a dangerous allergen, like gluten when eaten

If the results indicate an allergy to gluten the doctor may perform a small intestine biopsy. That tells the damage to the villi in the small intestine.

I don't know for sure if a blood tests is the only way to test for an allergy to gluten but you can try keep a food diary and record what you eat at specific times throughout the day; also record symptoms and when they appear. That may help you fiqure out what foods are making you ill and when you go to your doctor the info will help him.

I try to do as much foot work before I go to any doctor simply becuse I haven't any health insurance.

Jenteal

Old 03-25-2007, 08:26 AM   #9
(female)

ashley84 HB User

I've never been tested for it, but my last doctor had me do a food diary along with reactions to the foods. Everytime I ate wheat I was wheezing up a storm. Even though I'm not allergic to wheat... she thought it could be the gluten. She suggested try gluten-free foods, and I loved it because I didn't feel a strain on my body. My husband, then fiance, noticed a huge difference in me. I wasn't falling asleep at 6pm at night. He was so excited because he could actually take me out at night haha. I heard the, "I love you being on this gluten-free diet". I was having chronic diarrhea that suddenly stopped when my diet changed. I went back for a while and ate a lot more pizza than I should have. The chronic problem came back, and once I got my act together it went away again. Its hard to tell if it was the gluten-free or the multivitamin that's helping the most. Probably a combination... considering I could be absorbing the vitamins better now. Its only been about a week since I made the drastic change.

Could my joint swelling be from the month of eating gluten when I shouldn't have been? That appeared on Thursday. There's no more pain or 98.9 degree fever (my normal temp 97.3-97.6). Just a bit of stiffness in my joints, and occassional knee pain.

The one thing I can't figure out though is my exhaustion. Yesterday, we ran errands for about 2 hours. I fell asleep in the car for a half hour, and then when we got home... passed out for another 2 hours. Then practically fell asleep sitting up and standing. Then last night I slept about 11 hours. I ate plenty of gluten-free foods. It could be the heat. I have a high sensitivity to heat... I took a 10 minute hot shower yesterday, and my HR was 120 when I got out. Too many symptoms. I think doctors are just as baffled as I am.

Last edited by ashley84; 03-25-2007 at 08:32 AM.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:03 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ashely, I highly recommend getting the thyroid tests done that are mentioned in the above post. Low body temperature and fatigue like you describe can also be symptoms of a thyroid disorder.

Last edited by ticker; 03-25-2007 at 10:04 AM.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:30 AM   #11
(female)

ashley84 HB User

I've had those test done over and over since 11 years old. That's always THE first thing doctors check for (once they hear my mom has a slow thyroid and my grandmother has lupus). Could it be they are reading the tests wrong? I'm smaller than the average woman at 5'0", 102lbs, and very small boned. Could "normal" be high for me?

Last edited by ashley84; 03-25-2007 at 10:40 AM.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:30 AM   #12
(female)

ashley84 HB User

I have another random question. I took the parasite thing into account about 6 months ago. I took the wormwood combo and itched like crazy all over my body for 2 hours the first time. I kept itching, I felt pulls underneath my skin, and what not... I read if your itching its working. After the 4th day, I felt nothing... so on day 5 I took nothing. I've been out of the country 7 times in the last 10 years (some, counting as 1 trip, were to 2 or 3 countries at once) so I figured why not... can't hurt. I went back a month and a half later and took some more doses of the herbal combo. I felt absolutely nothing... I forgot I even took it. I figured it stopped working and never took it again.

I've been assuming because of that... parasites are not an option for cause of my symptoms.

Last edited by ashley84; 03-25-2007 at 10:38 AM.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:40 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Ashley. I suggest getting those specific thyroid tests done. Yes you can have "normal" results but they may not be optimal for you. Thyroid disorders can be genetic. It is important to have the antibodies tested. You can have normal results with the other tests but elevated antibodies. This would warrant treatment.

The herb you took may work for some but not all parasites. If you have any tick-borne illnesess, I do not think it would have been effective against them.

Last edited by ticker; 03-25-2007 at 06:41 PM.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:48 AM   #14
(female)

ashley84 HB User

I'm staring to really consider hyperthyroidism as the other cause. I read a list of 36 different symptoms, and all my symptoms gluten-intolerance and hypoglycemia cannot explain were there. The rapid heart rate, dry hair, frequent BM, high sensitivity to heat, tiredness, why I can barely move and still lose body fat, muscle weakness, changes in my vision, palpitations, hand tremors (I was diag w/ benign essential tremor), Diarrhea, upset stomach, and sometimes I'll bloat for no reason. I'll be ravenously hungry, eat for 4 hours, and I don't gain anything. I used to get SO frustrated with the more I ate the hungrier I was... that I just woulndn't eat... then I'd get sick and that'd only last 30 more minutes lol.

I bought a HR wristwatch to monitor it during different activities, a pedometer to show how little I move during the day, I've been writing down my food & calorie intake, and I've been writing down my weight/body fat %/lean body mass.

This is what I've found so far today:

- Between 8:30am and 12:00pm, I already consumed 577 calories, and after running errands for an hour... was starving 45 minutes after eating.

- Animal protien consumption makes me rediculously ravenously hungry within 45 minutes after full consumption. I have an overwhelming urge to eat everything in the kitchen... probably consume 500-800 calories after that.

- HR goes from sitting: 55 to standing: 93. Walking around the apartment HR: 100. After eating, walking to the sink: 118. Sitting in a cold car: 78 within a few minutes the temp raises to feel hot, HR becomes: 88. I carried my purse, 2 bags (one featherweight, one heavy) up the stairs HR was 148. Walking around Target HR: 95. Sitting on the computer: 73, and getting up walking to other side of apartment: 104. Walking around apartment: 114 then raised to 118.

- I slept a total of 24 hours, I was asleep for 12 on Saturday. Sunday laid around didn't do much... got sick a couple of times. This morning I just went to the library & walmart, came home, and weighed myself at about 11:30. I weighed 102.2lbs, 19.2% body fat, 78.4lbs of lean body mass. For being 19% body fat... I should be quite active of a person, but I'm not. I'm always sick... hence, I'm always on the couch.

My thyroid always looks normal on the regular T-4 tests. The symptoms match up extremely well. I've been sitting on the couch for 15 minutes now on the computer. My HR is 68.

Closed Thread