It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2007, 07:56 PM   #1
(female)

LilJean HB User
Severe Jaw Pain and swollen lymph nodes behind ears, anyone else?

Hi all,

My father is terminally ill and in the last days of his life so naturally I am VERY STRESSED OUT.

I have TMJ and I wear a mouth guard to sleep every night to protect my teeth from chipping, breaking, etc. I occasionally get sore jaws and it will hurt when I yawn and eat...but this is THE WORST I have EVER had it. I must have ground my teeth fiercely!!!!! My jaw is so sore it is swollen and a bit bruised. I feel like I got punched, real hard, in my jaw. My neck, shoulder, and head are KILLING ME. And - to add more to my already over full plate - two little lymph nodes behind my ear popped out and are swollen and hurt. So, I researched this in depth today and it really looks to be just a severe case of my TMJ...and due to my jaw being swollen my lymph nodes are out to try to heal the jaw.

Anyone else get it like this, with the swollen lymph nodes behind the ears too?

Thanks.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Severe Jaw Pain and swollen lymph nodes behind ears, anyone else?

Tha's kind of how I started - I thought I had swollen glands, salivary gland infection, some type of auto-immune or glandular problem. I think they get swollen more in response to the underlying pain and muscle strain or spasms from the tmj than due to fighting an infection or trying to heal the jaw. Also, understandably you are under enormous emotional stress right now and prolonged anxiety can kick your central nervous system into high gear and trigger this type of physical response as well. You may want to try xanex or other form of anti-anxiety meds for a short time or going to a chiro or massage therapy to help you through this difficult period, My tmj started after both my parents were gone - not sure how I would have been able to handle it had I had tmj back then - but even then I found it to be both emotionally and physically draining - so please do what you can to take care of yourself, even though you have more important issues to deal with right now. Take care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2007, 06:37 PM   #3
(female)

LilJean HB User

Thank you for the reply. I have been on xanax for a while now for anxiety/panic attacks but I am not finding relief from my TMJ from it. I went to my family doc today and she thinks I have some sort of infection! My lymph nodes are all swollen on that side - behind my ear and down the jaw. I never had that before. My jaw is more swollen today and I have a bruise there on my face like someone hit me there! I am in agony. Motrin helps. Moist heat helps...and relaxation helps - but Motrin wears off and I cannot keep taking it due to my ulcer, and the moist heat pack gets colder and I cannot walk around all day with it on my face - and it is SOOOO hard to relax now with Dad so very gravely ill. Ugg when it rains it pours.

I sat with my Dad today, with a moist heat pack on my jaw - in sheer agony. It is much harder to grieve with this pain...urg.

Thanks again for the reply.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

Could or would your med dr prescribe pain meds - most tmj drs prescribe baclofen, amitriptyline, diflusinal. flexeril, neurotin (sp?), skellaxin, naproxen (hey, I sound like a pharmacist - but I have tried them all!) - Motrin even comes in prescription strength - much stronger than OTC stuff. I generally don't believe in pain meds as a "cure" - I refused to take them for the 1st yr of my tmj - but there comes a point when the body just needs some relief so it can cope better.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:00 AM   #5
(male)

jcuk87 HB User
Unhappy Severe Jaw Pain and swollen lymph nodes behind ears, anyone else?

About 6 months ago I my 2nd to back tooth taken out, my wisdom tooth moved gradually down to fill the space once occupied by the extracted tooth and started to cause me some upper jaw pain. 3-4 weeks later I woke up with a sharp burning pain in my shoulder/neck and numb face down the right hand side (could not move or feel from my forehead to my chin).

Due to the problems speaking and eating I immediately consulted my doctor who fobbed me off saying "It is Bell's Palsy, give it two weeks and come back".

Two weeks later I had regained the feeling in my face but the muscles still seemed unresponsive (if not non-existent in some places) which gave me a lopsided smile for a month or so, I read up extensively on Bell's Palsy but it didn't describe/cover the neck pain that I was feeling.

I searched around to see which tendons/nerve bundles connected the shoulders to the head and found that the tendon causing me grief is the main tendon that runs up behind my TMJ, and that the tension was seeming to force the tendon away from my neck/skull (making it tense and stuck out).

I could not open/close my jaw evenly and this left me with severe pains on the top of my head above my jaw (and a odd feeling groove like something wasn't where it should be).

Not convinced by the doctors casually dismissive diagnosis of Bell's Palsy all I was left to assume was that the realignment of my teeth had somehow made my jaw move unevenly causing antagonistic tension in my shoulders, tension which led to a trapped nerve/gland behind my TMJ (resulting in loss of movement/feeling). This has been ongoing now for quite a while and while I do not suffer the bruising/swelling mentioned above I constantly have discomfort in my jaw and I have difficulty opening my mouth fully/squinting my eyes shut and the back of my right ear seems to be swollen and protrudes 1cm further than the left side which only adds to my fears of some type of tumor or cancer.

I worry profusely about my medical health because throughout my teenage years I badly neglected my body, those around me undermine my problems like I was a hypochondriac because they do not understand the daily annoyance it causes me or the "unsure" diagnosis which didn't set my mind at rest, the cause of Bell's Palsy is unknown and there currently is no remedy so this diagnosis seemed like the easiest thing for my doctor to say that required him not to have to do any real research.

I don't know what is the cause of my discomfort but I hope someone out there has experienced similar and had it diagnosed by a doctor that isn't due to retire this year (and who seems to actually give a damn).

If anyone has any incite into this problem please let me know.

Thanks again - Joe

Old 11-15-2009, 07:52 PM   #6
(female)

suziqu HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcuk87 View Post
About 6 months ago I my 2nd to back tooth taken out, my wisdom tooth moved gradually down to fill the space once occupied by the extracted tooth and started to cause me some upper jaw pain. 3-4 weeks later I woke up with a sharp burning pain in my shoulder/neck and numb face down the right hand side (could not move or feel from my forehead to my chin).

Due to the problems speaking and eating I immediately consulted my doctor who fobbed me off saying "It is Bell's Palsy, give it two weeks and come back".

Two weeks later I had regained the feeling in my face but the muscles still seemed unresponsive (if not non-existent in some places) which gave me a lopsided smile for a month or so, I read up extensively on Bell's Palsy but it didn't describe/cover the neck pain that I was feeling.

I searched around to see which tendons/nerve bundles connected the shoulders to the head and found that the tendon causing me grief is the main tendon that runs up behind my TMJ, and that the tension was seeming to force the tendon away from my neck/skull (making it tense and stuck out).

I could not open/close my jaw evenly and this left me with severe pains on the top of my head above my jaw (and a odd feeling groove like something wasn't where it should be).

Not convinced by the doctors casually dismissive diagnosis of Bell's Palsy all I was left to assume was that the realignment of my teeth had somehow made my jaw move unevenly causing antagonistic tension in my shoulders, tension which led to a trapped nerve/gland behind my TMJ (resulting in loss of movement/feeling). This has been ongoing now for quite a while and while I do not suffer the bruising/swelling mentioned above I constantly have discomfort in my jaw and I have difficulty opening my mouth fully/squinting my eyes shut and the back of my right ear seems to be swollen and protrudes 1cm further than the left side which only adds to my fears of some type of tumor or cancer.

I worry profusely about my medical health because throughout my teenage years I badly neglected my body, those around me undermine my problems like I was a hypochondriac because they do not understand the daily annoyance it causes me or the "unsure" diagnosis which didn't set my mind at rest, the cause of Bell's Palsy is unknown and there currently is no remedy so this diagnosis seemed like the easiest thing for my doctor to say that required him not to have to do any real research.

I don't know what is the cause of my discomfort but I hope someone out there has experienced similar and had it diagnosed by a doctor that isn't due to retire this year (and who seems to actually give a damn).

If anyone has any incite into this problem please let me know.

Thanks again - Joe

Old 11-15-2009, 07:57 PM   #7
(female)

suziqu HB User

Hi joe,

You may not get this message since it is over a year later, but if you do could you let me know what was wrong with you. Did you ever find out? I have the same type of symptoms and also did not take care of myself earlier. I'm very worried. This does not seem normal and is very painful.

Thanks Kim

Old 03-24-2011, 08:18 AM   #8
(female)

mastiod HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilJean View Post
Hi all,

My father is terminally ill and in the last days of his life so naturally I am VERY STRESSED OUT.

I have TMJ and I wear a mouth guard to sleep every night to protect my teeth from chipping, breaking, etc. I occasionally get sore jaws and it will hurt when I yawn and eat...but this is THE WORST I have EVER had it. I must have ground my teeth fiercely!!!!! My jaw is so sore it is swollen and a bit bruised. I feel like I got punched, real hard, in my jaw. My neck, shoulder, and head are KILLING ME. And - to add more to my already over full plate - two little lymph nodes behind my ear popped out and are swollen and hurt. So, I researched this in depth today and it really looks to be just a severe case of my TMJ...and due to my jaw being swollen my lymph nodes are out to try to heal the jaw.

Anyone else get it like this, with the swollen lymph nodes behind the ears too?

Thanks.
I'm sorry to here about you father. I'll be praying for you. I went to the ear nose and throat doctor for what I thought was an ear infection, The doctor had a MRI with contrast of my ears. I thought I had mastioditis. It turned out not to be,it is the muscle behind my left ear. It is swollen making my ear hurt. I found that a mixture of ice and heat works best for me. The doctor suggested I see an Orthopedic sugeron, not because I need sugery but the doctor more about muscles than anybody else.. I hope this helpsyou. I'll let you know what happens with me. Hope you feel better real soon.
Norma

Closed Thread