It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2007, 12:25 AM   #1
(female)

mmstrong HB User
Unhappy 30 Year Old Female w/ Night Sweats

My doctors cannot figure out what is wrong with me... Please help! I started having night sweats in January 2007. I had them for about 3 weeks. They came back in April for about 2 weeks and then again this month (June 2007).

My doctor said that I am too young to be pre-menopausal. He said that if I were, he could write a book about me! I had a ct scan to rule out lymphoma. I have been to a hematologist / oncologist 3 times. I was also tested for TB. I just had a virtual physical today. Everything is checking out normal.

I have noticed that when I am going through my night sweat phase, I become very fatigue during the day. I have experienced tingling/numb sensations in my feet when I wake up in the morning.

I am wondering if this has anything to do with dental work performed last year. My dentist could not do a root canal, because my tooth had hardened. He explained it as "nature's root canal" and put a crown on it. I have pain in that tooth a few times a month. I am also wondering if the night sweats are being caused by some type of bug that I may have caught while visiting the Dominican Republic in September 2006.

Please give me your opinions and your feedback. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2007, 09:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: 30 Year Old Female w/ Night Sweats

You don't mention thyroid blood levels testing. Was that done?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2007, 10:43 AM   #3
(female)

mmstrong HB User

Yes, my thyroids were tested. These tests came back normal.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

Some women, few as they are, have gone thru early menopause in their 30's and one that I know of in her late 20's so your doctor doesn't know everything. It may be rare but it does happen. I went thru menopause at 43 which is young by menopause standards.
Any fluctuation in hormones will cause annoying symptoms, even perimenopause which for me started at about 35. They may want to check your hormone levels just to see if they are fluctuating at all. I had night sweats the week before my period starting when I was 34. THey told me I was too young also, but obviously they were wrong.
Have they checked your kidney function? Blood sugar levels?
Have you seen your gynocologist?

Old 07-08-2007, 06:28 AM   #5
(female)

were2alike HB User

I have heard an seen ppl have a septic infection around the heart from dental carries but im not saying thats whats going on

Old 07-08-2007, 09:01 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi mmstrong. Since you are having other symptoms besides the sweats, I think Lyme disease may be a possibility.

Lyme disease is a multi-system bacterial infection caused from the bite of an infected tick. It is the second fastest growing infectious disease in the US after AIDS and the number one vector-borne disease in the US. It is in every state. Many people are bitten by ticks without knowing it. They are tiny, and they inject a numbing agent so you cannot feel them on you.

Below is a Lyme symptom list. You can have any combination of symptoms.

Unexplained fevers, sweats, chills, or flushing
Unexplained weight change--loss or gain
Fatigue, tiredness, poor stamina
Unexplained hair loss
Swollen glands
Sore throat
Testicular pain/pelvic pain
Unexplained menstrual irregularity
Unexplained milk production: breast pain
Irritable bladder or bladder dysfunction
Sexual dysfunction or loss of libido
Upset stomach
Change in bowel function-constipation, diarrhea
Chest pain or rib soreness
Shortness of breath, cough
Heart palpitations, pulse skips, heart block
Any history of a heart murmur or valve prolapse?
Joint pain or swelling
Stiffness of the joints, neck, or back
Muscle pain or cramps
Twitching of the face or other muscles
Headache
Neck creeks and cracks, neck stiffness, neck pain
Tingling, numbness, burning or stabbing sensations, shooting pains
Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy)
Eyes/Vision: double, blurry, increased floaters, light sensitivity
Ears/Hearing: buzzing, ringing, ear pain, sound sensitivity
lncreased motion sickness, vertigo, poor balance
Lightheadedness, wooziness
Tremor
Confusion, difficulty in thinking
Difficulty with concentration, reading
Forgetfulness, poor short term memory
Disorientation: getting lost, going to wrong places
Difficulty with speech or writing
Mood swings, irritability, depression
Disturbed sleep-too much, too little, early awakening
Exaggerated symptoms or worse hangover from alcohol

When Lyme disease is a possibility, it is very important to see a knowledgeable doctor. Many doctors do not understand Lyme and treat with outdated protocols. No test is completely reliable, and results can vary by lab.

Besides Lyme, ticks can also transmit several co-infections including Babesiosis, two types of Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Mycoplasma. It is estimated that 60% of people who have Lyme are co-infected. It may affect treatment choice and progress. It is important to be tested for these by a Lyme reputable lab such as IgeneX in Palo Alto, CA. Night sweats are one of the major symptoms of Babesiosis.

If you think this is a possiblity and you would like a doctor recommendaiton, let me know.

I hope you can get answers soon.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:00 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I think the possibility is good that your trip to Dominica might be the culprit. Malaria springs to mind... intestinal parasites another.
Have those been investigated? Many US doctors don't know beans about these things and would never think to test for them unless the patient insisted on it.

Last edited by midwest1; 07-08-2007 at 10:00 AM.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:10 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Isis498 HB User

Are you taking any antidepressants? Or are you diabetic on medication? Both of those can cause night sweats, my Mom had those.

Your trip could indeed be responsible somehow. You could also have a deep seated infection in your jaw from that tooth problem, without pain. That happens more commonly than people realize. And sometimes is hard to even see on x-rays.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:13 AM   #9
(male)

bellissimo45 HB User

it could be stress doing this to you. stress is the culprit for alot of problems mentally and physically

Old 07-15-2007, 07:27 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Wow, lots of great answers! Echoing the last one, about stress. That did happen to me. When I was waiting to find out whether my doctor would/could do a surgery for my weird back problem, everytime I even thought about it (many times a day, of course), I got an awful rush of adrenaline. After a while, I started having hot flashes and sweats. Although I was old enough to be heading into menopause, I hadn't had those things happening before. As soon as my doctor and I decided to go ahead with surgery, I felt such relief that he could help me, and I didn't have ANY more hot flashes or sweats. Weird, huh? I asked my ob/gyn if I could have been having them purely from stress and not related to menopause. He said absolutely yes!

So, are you under unusual stress?

Also, some pain medications can cause night sweats. Are you on anything like that?

Do you have an appt to follow up with your doctor and get some more testing done?

Hope you get some answers!

Emily

Last edited by BlueAtlas; 07-15-2007 at 07:29 PM.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:03 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Isis498 HB User

But did you have these during the night while you were asleep?

Last edited by HBMod07; 07-16-2007 at 01:20 PM. Reason: removed direct quote

Old 07-16-2007, 12:39 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isis498 View Post
But did you have these during the night while you were asleep?
Yes, sometimes. I would wake up and throw off all the covers. Then 1/2 hour later I would be cold and pull the covers back on until the next episode, then throw them off again. It was disconcerting and frustrating!

Emily

Closed Thread