It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2007, 05:58 PM   #1
(female)

AngieBaby77 HB User
I hurt all over...doctor ignores me...lymph infection...need advice!

Hello everyone. I am 29, female. Had a painful armpit lump which doc said was fibrocystic breast changes. Pain got worse even after my period recently ended so I went to ER today. ER doc says it is an infected lymph node. Started me on Zithromax. I took two pills today and I am to take one each day for four days after.

That was earlier today. Since then, I feel even worse. I not only hurt under my armpit, but all over. My breasts and chest feel sore in different places. My lower back aches. I feel achy and sore all over my body.

I am scared that I have cancer, or some kind of dangerous lung infection, or kidney infection.

I even paged my doctor and he hasn't even called back. Because I am also being treated for Generalized Anxiety Disorder (with Celexa and Xanax), he treats me like a hypochondriac.

I am wondering if I have fibromyalgia. In a way, I hope I do because it is benign and could explain all my aches and pains.

I have been aching, hurting and crying all evening. I don't have any family to accompany me to the hospital or doctor and basically I feel loney, scared and sore all over. I have a bad habit of imagining the worst case scenario.

Could my bodily pain be fibromyalgia? Could it just be a side effect of the lymph node infection? Should I go back to the ER? I feel like everyone treats me like a hypochondriac and I dread the embarrassment but as I said I hurt all over.

Basically I don't know what my next step should be. I took two Advil (400 mg each) and .5 mg of Xanax and I am just waiting for relief so I can try to rest. I don't want to run out to the ER and waste hours there for nothing but I don't want to ignore something serious either.

Thanks,

Angela

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2007, 11:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: I hurt all over...doctor ignores me...lymph infection...need advice!

Hi Angela. I am sorry you are feeling so crummy.

You may want to consider Lyme disease as possibility. Lyme disease is a multi-system bacterial infection caused from the bite of an infected tick. Lyme disease is the second fastest growing infectious disease in the US and the number one vector-borne disease in the US.

Below is a Lyme symptom list. You can have any combination of symptoms.

Unexplained fevers, sweats, chills, or flushing
Unexplained weight change--loss or gain
Fatigue, tiredness, poor stamina
Unexplained hair loss
Swollen glands
Sore throat
Testicular pain/pelvic pain
Unexplained menstrual irregularity
Unexplained milk production: breast pain
Irritable bladder or bladder dysfunction
Sexual dysfunction or loss of libido
Upset stomach
Change in bowel function-constipation, diarrhea
Chest pain or rib soreness
Shortness of breath, cough
Heart palpitations, pulse skips, heart block
Any history of a heart murmur or valve prolapse?
Joint pain or swelling
Stiffness of the joints, neck, or back
Muscle pain or cramps
Twitching of the face or other muscles
Headache
Neck creeks and cracks, neck stiffness, neck pain
Tingling, numbness, burning or stabbing sensations, shooting pains
Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy)
Eyes/Vision: double, blurry, increased floaters, light sensitivity
Ears/Hearing: buzzing, ringing, ear pain, sound sensitivity
lncreased motion sickness, vertigo, poor balance
Lightheadedness, wooziness
Tremor
Confusion, difficulty in thinking
Difficulty with concentration, reading
Forgetfulness, poor short term memory
Disorientation: getting lost, going to wrong places
Difficulty with speech or writing
Mood swings, irritability, depression
Disturbed sleep-too much, too little, early awakening
Exaggerated symptoms or worse hangover from alcohol

When Lyme disease is a possibility, it is very important to see a knowledge- able doctor. Many doctors do not understand Lyme and treat with outdated protocols. No test is completely reliable, and results can vary by lab.

Besides Lyme, ticks can also transmit several co-infections including Babesiosis, two types of Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Mycoplasma. It is estimated that 60% of people who have Lyme are co-infected. It may affect treatment choice and progress. It is important to be tested for these by a Lyme reputable lab such as IgeneX in Palo Alto, CA. Bartonella can cause swollen lymph nodes.

If you think this may be a possibility if you would like doctor recommendations, let me know.

Zithromax is one antibiotic used to treat Lyme. There is a reaction called the Jarisch-Herxheimer Reaction (herx). Often, when people who have Lyme take antibiotics, their symptoms become worse or they get new ones. When the antibiotics kill the bacteria, toxins are released making them feel sicker. It can be very scary when it happens, but it is a good sign the antibiotics are working. Although it can vary individually, many people experience this at the beginning of treatment and every three to four weeks. This may be why you feel worse.

It is also important to learn as much as possible. I recommend reading Dr. Joseph Burrascano's 2005 Diagnostic Hints and Treatment Guidelines For Lyme and Other Tick Borne Illnesses. He is one of the top Lyme doctors in the country, and many Lyme doctors follow his protocols. I also recommend the book "Everything You Need To Know About Lyme Disease (2nd edition)" by Karen Vanderhoof-Forschner.

I hope you feel better soon.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:58 PM   #3
(female)

AngieBaby77 HB User

I was thinking it might be because I found a tick in my hair the night before last, the day before I went to the ER and got the Zithromax. The doctor did say it looks like the tick bit me but I was able to get the tick off easily and no parts remained in my skin. The tick looked flat and not engorged, my husband thinks it couldn't have given me Lyme disease. I don't know how long it had been there or how long symptoms take to develop but it did look brown and not engorged. It came off when I scraped at it with my fingernail.

I just worry because I've also heard that infected, swollen armpit nodes can be cancer related. I am scared because I used to smoke a lot of cigarettes for 15 years, and still smoke a little herb. And several years ago I had a CT which showed a benign calcified lung node on the left side which is where the swollen node is.

Maybe I'm being silly. I wonder if I should have gotten an X-ray. Every doctor I see is pretty dismissive. My doc told me to take the Zithromax then call back in ten days if the symptoms persist after that.

I guess that's my only choice, but I thought I would ask here because if it sounds cancer related or something I should probably go back right away. I'm so anxious about this and I feel so weak and achy.

Last edited by AngieBaby77; 07-24-2007 at 12:59 PM.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi Angela. Tick attachment time is irrelevant. The tick that bit me was on for three hours at most, was not engorged, and it transmitted five diseases.

Improper removal also increases the risk of infection. For future reference the only proper way to remove a tick is with tweezers by grasping the mouthparts as close to the skin as possible and pulling straight back.

Did you save the tick?

You had symptoms after the bite, and you are reacting to the Zithromax like someone would who has Lyme disease. You really should be evaluated by a Lyme doctor and tested for all the co-infections. Getting the proper treatment early in the infection may reduce the chance of long-term complications. Proper early treatment gives the best chance for a cure. Believe me, it is hard to imagine how serious untreated or under-treated Lyme disease is.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:05 PM   #5
(female)

AngieBaby77 HB User

No, I did not save the tick.

I am on Zithromax, should that take care of the problem? I don't think I have a Lyme disease doctor in my area.

What should my next step be? The ER doc seems to think Zithromax will cure any Lyme. Do you think it will be enough or do I need to see anyone else?

Closed Thread