It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2007, 05:53 PM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: Something most certainly wrong.

Thanks bethsheba!

Tick-borne illnesses can be very serious when untreated or under-treated. Because the majority of doctors are ignorant about them, many people become much sicker.

I hope the women you know who were dealing with Lyme are better.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:57 PM   #17
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhat View Post
...I would say acid reflux is NOT what is wrong. acid reflux can make you uncomfortable and not sleep at night, but fever, chills so bad you shake the bed??/ No that doc is just putting you off because he does not know what is wrong. check for LYME........
golfhat,

I'm so glad you posted...I agree with you. Although I haven't experienced Lyme Disease, the symptoms he describes are not the symptoms I experienced for 20 years with acid reflux. I, too, think the doc doesn't know what's wrong!! And like you and ticker, I suspect Lyme Disease.

I do hope you've recovered fully!

Bethsheba

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2007, 06:00 PM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi golfhat. You are right that two weeks is never long enough treatment for Lyme disease. It is my understanding that six weeks of the proper dose antibiotics is the minimum treatment time for an infection caught within two weeks of the bite. The antibiotics kill the bacteria when they are reproducing, which is estmimated at four weeks. Six weeks of treatment will cover one growth cycle in a new infection. If symptoms are still present, further treatment is warranted. A longer infection needs longer treatment.

Babesiosis is one tick-borne co-infection and it is similiar to malaria. It can cause the symptoms you describe.

Sometimes people who have Lyme can keep the symptoms at bay until their immune system becomes suppressed in some way (illness, accident, divorce, etc.). Then symptoms ermerge. The Lyme bacteria do not like the heat. When you were at the beach, I think it is possibe that the heat stirred up the bacteria and caused the symptoms. I am only speculating here because I am not a medical professional.

You may want to consider seeing a Lyme knowledgeable doctor for an evaluation.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:57 AM   #19
Veteran
(female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User

Thank you for the advice Ticker. And everyone else who has had experience with Lyme.

It was my sister who finally said 7 years ago "I think you are having a re-occurance of Lyme ---"

The occurances stopped after the first 3 or 4 years after the initial infection. Then 3 years ago that trip to the beach must have triggered it. someone mentioned stress---that year we were with my very pg daughter (she was due in a month)and her husband and 2 year old plus my husband's family--yes I can say I was feeling some stress that summer. I spent all my time with my daughter and taking care of the two year old to give my daughter some freedom.

Babesiosis has also been mentioned as a possible ailment. Once the dr. got a negative on all tropical diseases why didn't he test for Lyme and Babesiosis?
Amazing.

Can I be tested after all this time for L and B?
Thanks for the info. As of this summer I am symptom free and feeling good.

Last edited by golfhat; 08-12-2007 at 09:58 AM.

Old 08-12-2007, 03:33 PM   #20
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

You're welcome, Ticker...

The women are doing fine as far as I know...thank you for asking.

Now back to my reading your posts!

Take care!

Bethsheba

Old 08-12-2007, 04:40 PM   #21
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi golfhat. Unfortunately, most doctors are ignorant about these diseases.

It is important to be tested at a Lyme ruputable lab such as IgeneX in Palo Alto, CA. Maybe your doctor would be willing to do the test? I believe you can get the kit and bring it to your doctor. The doctor's office draws the blood and the results are reported to the doctor. Maybe you could get the Western Blot test and tests for Babesiosis as a starting point.

No Lyme test is completely reliable. Many people do not test positive by CDC standards. On the Western Blot test, it lists several numerical bands with a + - or IND after each one. The CDC requires several bands to show for it to be considered positive; however, many people who have Lyme do not have this many bands. Lyme doctors often look at which bands are positive. Some are specific for Lyme.

If you get the Western Blot done be sure to get copies of your results. If you need help interpreting them, let me know.

Good luck!

Old 08-12-2007, 04:41 PM   #22
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bethsheba, you are funny!

Old 08-13-2007, 01:44 PM   #23
(female)

tiff-cher HB User

Thanks ticker!!!
It sounds like something I really need to check into. Just knowing that it could be something else makes me feel better!! t-c

Old 08-13-2007, 06:34 PM   #24
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiff-cher, do not give up! Keep me posted on your progress okay?

Old 08-14-2007, 01:41 PM   #25
(female)

tiff-cher HB User

I will for sure!!! Thank you for caring!!!!!! t-c

Old 08-14-2007, 07:15 PM   #26
Senior Veteran
(female)

You are welcome!

Old 08-24-2007, 12:54 PM   #27
(female)

tiff-cher HB User

ticker,
I have moved up my follow-up appt because of a bunch of stuff going on. I'm gonna talk to my doc about lyme disease...this week has been really bad and I'm going to try to get him to write an rx for a ten's unit...maybe I'll get some relief!!! tiff-cher

Old 09-09-2007, 07:49 AM   #28
(female)

tiff-cher HB User

ticker
Would you believe I forgot to ask my Dr. about Lyme Disease????????? but he did give me an RX for a tens unit........I just can't believe that I forgot!!!!! tiff-cher

Old 11-19-2007, 01:58 PM   #29
(female)

tiff-cher HB User

Ticker...if you see this!! I did talk to my doc about lyme disease and he doesn't think that is what is going on with me, so he didn't order any labs, or anything...I still have my good days and my bad days. My next visit with him is in January, if I can make it that long!!
tiff-cher

Closed Thread