It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2007, 09:25 PM   #1
(female)

___vintaqe HB User
Exclamation Can't figure out what is wrong with me!

About 2 months ago I began experiencing pains in some of my joints, but I didn't really think too much about it. About 3 weeks ago I started feeling horrible. I started to experience severe joint paints that would jump from one spot to another, there was constantly a spot that aches! The pain now rests soley in my knees and hips. The pain is so bad that my knees will give out on me just walking to the bathroom. About a week ago I started feeling symptoms of a UTI. My boyfriend's father is an oral surgeon, and was able to prescribe me an antibiotic called Bactrim DS (I don't have health insurance, so I can't afford a doctor). Immediately after taking it I thought I noticed an allergic reaction ; chest pain, sore throat and difficulty breathing, so I stopped taking it. (but the chest pain, sore throat and difficulty breathing haven't subsided!) It feels like it has turned into an Upper UTI, but feels more intense than the ones I've had before. I have a constant, dull pain in my bladder which extends around both of my sides, and everytime I urinate it feels like my bladder is being ripped. Last night while I was getting ready to go to bed, it felt like someone stabbed me in my throat, and the pain wouldn't go away, I just had to sleep it off. Today I started feeling like I was coming down with the flu, but I don't feel like I have a cold. I became feverish, cold/hot flashes, sweats, nausea, body shakes, sudden fatigue, unable to concentrate, dizzy spells (which have been happening since first sign of symptoms).

I'm 20 years old, and never really have been in great health. I don't know if any of these symptoms are connected with each other, but they all happened around the same time. Does anyone know what it could be?

Last edited by ___vintaqe; 08-14-2007 at 09:33 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2007, 09:40 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

penybobeny HB User
Re: Can't figure out what is wrong with me!

This sounds an alot like Lymes Disease... a whole lot.

If you think you might be developing a UTI infection you need to up your water intake (dilute the urine) and drink cranberry juice to find relief, but it would very much be worth it to bite the bullet and take on the expense of seeing a Dr... a UTI that is not taken care of can become a kidney infection and then you will be in real trouble.

Not to mention that Lyme's Disease is nothing to play around with and the earlier you get treatment the lower the chances of lifelong complications.

Your symptoms could be Lymes, Lupus, Rhumatoid Arthritis.... there is alot that can be going on and having a small bill that you will have to make payments on now will be much better than a hospital stay and huge bill in the future... your health is the most precious thing you have!

Old 08-14-2007, 10:25 PM   #3
(female)

___vintaqe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by penybobeny View Post
This sounds an alot like Lymes Disease... a whole lot.

If you think you might be developing a UTI infection you need to up your water intake (dilute the urine) and drink cranberry juice to find relief, but it would very much be worth it to bite the bullet and take on the expense of seeing a Dr... a UTI that is not taken care of can become a kidney infection and then you will be in real trouble.

Not to mention that Lyme's Disease is nothing to play around with and the earlier you get treatment the lower the chances of lifelong complications.

Your symptoms could be Lymes, Lupus, Rhumatoid Arthritis.... there is alot that can be going on and having a small bill that you will have to make payments on now will be much better than a hospital stay and huge bill in the future... your health is the most precious thing you have!
Before posting this I was definitely considering it being Lyme's Disease (I have about 100 mosquitoe bites all over my body so it would be hard to even see if I have a tick on me). Thank you for your opinions! I'll definitely look into seeing a doctor.

Last edited by ___vintaqe; 08-14-2007 at 10:28 PM.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:40 PM   #4
(female)

1954 HB User

sounds like cfs or fibromyalgia combination with an infection. could also be a touch of mono with the sore throat but you can also have that with cfs.
but frankly sweetheart you need to go to a doctor.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:31 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi vintaqe, I agree that it sounds like Lyme disease. Lyme symptoms wax, wane, and migrate around the body like you describe. When someone has flu-like symptoms in the summer, Lyme should be considered.

Below is a Lyme symptom list. You can have any combination of symptoms.

Unexplained fevers, sweats, chills, or flushing
Unexplained weight change--loss or gain
Fatigue, tiredness, poor stamina
Unexplained hair loss
Swollen glands
Sore throat
Testicular pain/pelvic pain
Unexplained menstrual irregularity
Unexplained milk production: breast pain
Irritable bladder or bladder dysfunction
Sexual dysfunction or loss of libido
Upset stomach
Change in bowel function-constipation, diarrhea
Chest pain or rib soreness
Shortness of breath, cough
Heart palpitations, pulse skips, heart block
Any history of a heart murmur or valve prolapse?
Joint pain or swelling
Stiffness of the joints, neck, or back
Muscle pain or cramps
Twitching of the face or other muscles
Headache
Neck creeks and cracks, neck stiffness, neck pain
Tingling, numbness, burning or stabbing sensations, shooting pains
Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy)
Eyes/Vision: double, blurry, increased floaters, light sensitivity
Ears/Hearing: buzzing, ringing, ear pain, sound sensitivity
lncreased motion sickness, vertigo, poor balance
Lightheadedness, wooziness
Tremor
Confusion, difficulty in thinking
Difficulty with concentration, reading
Forgetfulness, poor short term memory
Disorientation: getting lost, going to wrong places
Difficulty with speech or writing
Mood swings, irritability, depression
Disturbed sleep-too much, too little, early awakening
Exaggerated symptoms or worse hangover from alcohol

When Lyme disease is a possibility, it is very important to see a knowledgeable doctor. Many doctors do not understand Lyme and treat with outdated protocols. No test is completely reliable, and results can vary by lab. Lyme needs continuous, aggressive treatment.

Besides Lyme, ticks can also transmit several co-infections including Babesiosis, two types of Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Mycoplasma. It is estimated that 60% of people who have Lyme are co-infected. It may affect treatment choice and progress. It is important to be tested for these by a Lyme reputable lab such as IgeneX in Palo Alto, CA.

Babesiosis is similiar to malaria, and it can cause many of the symptoms you have.

Often, when people who have Lyme take antibiotics, their symptoms become worse or they get new ones. When the antibiotics kill the bacteria, toxins are released making them feel sicker. It can be very scary when it happens, but it is a good sign the antibiotics are working. Although it can vary individually, many people experience this at the beginning of treatment and every three to four weeks. This is called a Jarisch-Herxheimer Reaction (herx). It sounds like you may have experienced this.

If you would like a doctor recommendation, let me know.

It is also important to learn as much as possible. I recommend reading Dr. Joseph Burrascano's 2005 Diagnostic Hints and Treatment Guidelines For Lyme and Other Tick Borne Illnesses. He is one of the top Lyme doctors in the country, and many Lyme doctors follow his protocols. I also recommend the book "Everything You Need To Know About Lyme Disease (2nd edition)" by Karen Vanderhoof-Forschner.

The Lyme board on this site has a lot of good information.

Hang in there okay?

Closed Thread