It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2007, 11:36 AM   #1
(female)

bookchick HB User
One-sided numbness/no coordination/normal tests---please help!

Hello.....
30 yr old female
No smoking/rare drink

Last May I began having facial numbness. My face wasn't completely numb, but almost like it was alseep or had a little novacaine. It was tingly. It was completely left sided. My Dr. sent me to a Neurologist with these results:

CT Scan-normal
MRI-Chiari malformation very mild incidental finding (not causing symptoms)
B12, thyroid, electrolytes all normal ranges. No anemia either.

I still have the numbness and tingling on and off. Now when I get the "episodes", my arm has the same thing. My face has been numb on and off for a few days and last night my arm did it as well (for the 2nd time). I have no confustion, slurred speech, lack or control or use of my face or arm. My leg was involved on one occasion. It's always the left side.

I have bad muscle jerks. During my gallbladder surgery, I was given Dilantin because I was so "jerky". When I wake up, I literally cannot move. My back is so stiff I have to shimmy onto my side and slowly stretch out.

I also have periods of extreme clumsiness. I"ll pick up my keys and drop them, things just slip right through my hands. I'll trip over nothing. I get really weird vertigo feeling, and have no sense of balance.

I'm really afraid of these symptoms and the doctors have no answers to give. They look at me like I'm making it up. They say it's anxiety.
Hello, I didn't have anxiety until my face went numb!

Any insight, advice, support, anything would be appreciated.

Last edited by bookchick; 08-22-2007 at 11:38 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2007, 12:28 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: One-sided numbness/no coordination/normal tests---please help!

Hi bookchic. (cool name!)
So sorry to hear you have these issues...and I really feel for you having a doctor write them off as anxiety. Thats the hardest thing to deal with, isnt it?

Your symtpoms sound sort of like MS symtoms, but they also resemble so many other neurological disorders. Have you seen a good Neuro lately? Hate to say it, but you need to start over with a doctor who has some compassion and also some ability to dx ! Unforatunaetly, a MRI can change in a week....so I dont know how long ago you had that MRI, but its very possible that anything on it, was too small for the machine to pick up at the time, and is now larger, more identifiable. You should proabaly have it repeated.

Theres not much else I can say here, as your symptoms are so incredible common...but you really should seek a Neuro, one who specializes in diagnostics...if you dont have one, you can post here, with your part of the country and ask for referrals...

Good luck to you and take care. Remember, anxiety DOES make these things worse, so TRY to relax and think positively. I know its easier said then done, been there...but you really need a new doctor, and some new tests to really find out what is causing this.

Nikki

Old 08-22-2007, 01:01 PM   #3
(female)

bookchick HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
Hi bookchic. (cool name!)
So sorry to hear you have these issues...and I really feel for you having a doctor write them off as anxiety. Thats the hardest thing to deal with, isnt it?

Your symtpoms sound sort of like MS symtoms, but they also resemble so many other neurological disorders. Have you seen a good Neuro lately? Hate to say it, but you need to start over with a doctor who has some compassion and also some ability to dx ! Unforatunaetly, a MRI can change in a week....so I dont know how long ago you had that MRI, but its very possible that anything on it, was too small for the machine to pick up at the time, and is now larger, more identifiable. You should proabaly have it repeated.

Theres not much else I can say here, as your symptoms are so incredible common...but you really should seek a Neuro, one who specializes in diagnostics...if you dont have one, you can post here, with your part of the country and ask for referrals...

Good luck to you and take care. Remember, anxiety DOES make these things worse, so TRY to relax and think positively. I know its easier said then done, been there...but you really need a new doctor, and some new tests to really find out what is causing this.

Nikki
My MRI was done about one year ago. The Dr. said it was clean, said anxiety and sent me on my way. I started having the tingling sensations on the entire left side of my body (mostly arm and face) around 430am and they haven't stopped.
It is so scary and frustrating.
I just moved to another state and I don't have my new insurance cards (I have Cobra) so I can't go to a doctor yet. But when I get my info, I will be finding a neurologist.
I freaked out last night, but then calmed myself down. I kept saying you're okay, you can move, talk, think.
I really hope my next doctor is more thorough (sp?). I think because my primary dr. made a note of anxiety on my chart, a lot of my symptoms were ignored.
You said these symptoms can be caused by other problems, what disorders could they be attributed to?

Old 08-22-2007, 01:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

bookchick--I have had some of the same sensations as you. I have had it every single day for 5-7mo.'s They also told me I was getting tension headaches and anxiety. My anxiety came like yours after I was sick and they can't help me or find out anything. It stresses you after being told a couple of times. When in reality they just can't/won't say I can't help you, you should go somewhere else. My family and husband know me and have watched my illness, so at least someone knows what is really going on.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. I would definitely not stop looking as long as you have the means. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 08-22-2007, 01:19 PM   #5
(female)

bookchick HB User

Thanks flowergirl and nik for your help!

It really hurts to feel like the people who are supposed to be helping you think YOU are the problem. They prescribed me zoloft, which goes into a whole other story!

It's so scary...when you start with this numbness, you can't help but think....is it a stroke or something? Then I calm myself and say your facehas been numb off and on for a year, now your arm is following it. My MRI and CT were normal and I'm only 30yrs old.

I'm glad there is a board like this where at least we know if it's anxiety, it's mass anxiety!

Last edited by bookchick; 08-22-2007 at 01:24 PM.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:41 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

jalo123 HB User

hmmmm...ever get worked up for guillan barre? thats another auto immune disorder, however its self limiting, and does not last for as long as you have been symptomatic.

Antidepressants can also have an impact on cns symptom, and help it get back into balance. I think as a society when we look at someone taking an antidepressant we jump to the conclusion that the person does not have a legitimate illness...WRONG ANSWER!! My son-in-law has a history of ruptured disks in his back and he was perscribed Paxil for it..it helps with his pain! It is NORMAL for people to suffer anxiey, and depression from Chronic illness that disrupts your life and causes pain! So please dont get hung up on that,,,it clouds the water when your going after a diagnosis, and some physicains will zero in on that!!!
good luck
Janet

Old 08-22-2007, 01:55 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Hi book chick
You asked about other disorders. i dont want to start listing things, because Im not trying to scare you. However, even with MS, they have to rule out brain infections, Lyme disease, Lupus, Balls Palsy to name a few....MS is so hard to diagnosis, that its not unusual to rule out everything else to come up with a diagnosis.

I agree with what Jalo wrote about anxiety drugs. Some docs do prescribe them for a good reason, only to have the insurance companies and others look at you like you have a mental problem. Its not always the case that they are perscribed for anxiety or depression. Many of those drugs have other uses.

I woke up at the age of 39 with total and complete numbness of my hand, going up into my chest. I DO know the fear you experienced. I thought I was having a stroke myself...this was my first MS symtpom, and you should know, it has never gone away. A year later, I still have no use of my left hand or my fingers...I manage. I use voice recognition when I have to type more than a few sentences, and I still drive, cook, take care of my family, etc. Its not always easy, and sometimes its painful, but I manage and try not to complain.

Theres a whole lot of anxiety with this and any other disease. The NOT knowing will try to take you down quickly. Yes, anti-anxiety drugs do help, and its not a bad idea to take them when needed, however make sure that you are not abusing them, or allowing your "what ifs" to control you. As soon as you can, please do look into another doc. Many people here will tell you horror stories of going thru 2 or 3 doctors before finding one which they click with, who takes them seriously and actually help them. Do NOT immediately assume something horrible is wrong with you. It wont help you to think like that. Just try to take this day by day until you can get more help. Even with Cobra, if you feel that things are out of control, you can go to the ER and they HAVE to see you. ok? Try to relax...and yes, we are all here to help you vent and regain control.
Hugs,
N

Old 08-23-2007, 01:19 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

zandvoort HB User

Hi Book chick- this is for you too Flower girl-

I am putting in a list of Lyme symptoms. Lyme is something that probably less than 100 docs in the US can diagnose properly. There is a lot of poor informationo out there. My many docs thought I had MS or it was just in my head. Finally, through God's help, I think, I found teh symptom list for Lyme and there it was! I found a Lyme Literate Doc (LLMD) on the Lyme board on this site and now am being treated.

I know how awful it is to have no one believe you. I too was a seemingly healthy 44 year old. My tests looked phenomenal! BUT- none of my docs seemed to know that it is common to have a false negative Lyme test! Now that I do research on the disease, I cannot believe there is so much false info out in the medical community. If you see similarities on the symptom list and would like to investigate, please go over to the Lyme board. There is a lot of help and info there.

Unexplained fevers, sweats, chills, or flushing
Unexplained weight change--loss or gain
Fatigue, tiredness, poor stamina
Unexplained hair loss
Swollen glands
Sore throat
Testicular pain/pelvic pain
Unexplained menstrual irregularity
Unexplained milk production: breast pain
Irritable bladder or bladder dysfunction
Sexual dysfunction or loss of libido
Upset stomach
Change in bowel function-constipation, diarrhea
Chest pain or rib soreness
Shortness of breath, cough
Heart palpitations, pulse skips, heart block
Any history of a heart murmur or valve prolapse?
Joint pain or swelling
Stiffness of the joints, neck, or back
Muscle pain or cramps
Twitching of the face or other muscles
Headache
Neck creeks and cracks, neck stiffness, neck pain
Tingling, numbness, burning or stabbing sensations, shooting pains
Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy)
Eyes/Vision: double, blurry, increased floaters, light sensitivity
Ears/Hearing: buzzing, ringing, ear pain, sound sensitivity
lncreased motion sickness, vertigo, poor balance
Lightheadedness, wooziness
Tremor
Confusion, difficulty in thinking
Difficulty with concentration, reading
Forgetfulness, poor short term memory
Disorientation: getting lost, going to wrong places
Difficulty with speech or writing
Mood swings, irritability, depression
Disturbed sleep-too much, too little, early awakening
Exaggerated symptoms or worse hangover from alcohol

Old 08-26-2007, 11:31 PM   #9
(female)

sundr0p HB User

hi bookchick
i also have chari . with either a tumor or syrinx inside the spinal cord. from what i have learned is people with chari very often have a syrinx inside the spinal cord. i was curious if they mentioned that to you at all or if they did any further mri's. it took months and months and doctor after doctor for them to find mine. i have a some of the same things you mentioned with the jumping of the hands, legs, arms etc. my right side is my worst side. my balance is way off (i m sure many people have thought i was drunk ..)
im not sure if you have did any research on chari itself but i have learned alot on it since i found out. one of the first things i learned is you need to find someone who actually KNOWS about it for your doctor. i cant even remember the number of doctors who blew me off saying it was in my head. its so important to find the right doctor.
also, i was first told that i had mild chari. but, i sent my mri's to a NS at johns hopkins and he totally disagreed with the NS i was seeing at the time. most say 'mild' like its nothing but from what i experience and from what i have researched 'mild' dont always mean no problems or symptoms
anyway good luck with your struggles and i will keep you in my prayers.

Closed Thread