It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2007, 05:26 PM   #1
(male)

ucla187 HB User
Bells Palsy Recovery

Just over a month ago my brother was diagnosed with Bells Palsy. I would rate the paralysis as 'severe' as he was able to blink his eye slightly when he concentrated...but forehead and mouth functionality was still at 0%. About a week after seeing the first signs he took steroid/anti-viral medication and everything they recommend. One week afterwards (2 weeks after initial paralysis) he started noticing improvement.. His eye was looking much less irritated and dry, and he was blinking better and more often. In addition, when he concentrated he was able to speak on both sides of his mouth and no longer was he drooling when he ate. We rated his functionality at about 25%, or 'moderately severe'...much better than initial onset.

This was very promising as most people start getting better after about 3 weeks (some people much longer) and after only 2 weeks my brother was noticing improvement. However, this only continued for 3-4 days then improvement suddenly stopped. It's been about 2 weeks since that time...and still no change in his condition. I'm very worried about his recovery process. The fact he improved so quickly was great news...but now after this slowdown I'm wondering about the long-term. Has there ever been a person documented that started seeing improvement after only 2 weeks...then never got better? Is Bells Palsy really a wait and see game...or is there a chance his paralysis could be permanent?

Last edited by ucla187; 09-01-2007 at 05:27 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2007, 05:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User
Re: Bells Palsy Recovery

Took my Mom many months to fully recover. Thye told her to chew gum to expercise the muscles. All day adn night unless going to bed. She fully recovered. It sounds simply but it worked for her. This does take time.

Closed Thread