It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2007, 08:41 PM   #1
(female)

oceangirl19 HB User
Anyone get eye pain with migraines!?!?!

So one neurologist dx me with MS and optic neuritis and
one neurologist dx me with migraines that caused a swelling
of the artery nearest to my optic nerve thus causing constant
pain with eye movement. This pain has not gone away for months
with horizontal eye movement. Wondering if anyone else has ever
that this problem, since I had never heard of this before going to
this neuro.

Thanks!
Rachel

Old 10-16-2007, 01:43 PM   #2
(female)

Dee2000 HB User
Re: Anyone get eye pain with migraines!?!?!

Hi Rachel,

I was on Topamax for migraines and got wierd eye pain while taking it.

Do you have high blood pressure?? If it's your optic nerve, do you have a family history of enlarged optic nerves? I'm sure they ruled out glaucoma.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2007, 05:27 PM   #3
(female)

tua40178 HB User

I would suggest, if you had the opportunity, to get another opinion from a neuro-ophthalmologist. The eye pain that you are experiencing can certainly be from anyone of your diagnoses; the treatments for those diagnoses are however so different that you must be sure of what is causing the pain.

I've had a very similar experience. I've experienced ocular pain for years and had a malformed optic nerve. My Ophthalmologist was thinking the worst (MS, Glaucoma) but luckily sent me to the neuro-ophthalmologist who gave me a simple diagnosis of migraines. Knowing what was really causing the pain in my eye has left me much better equipped to handle it.

Don't be afraid to speak up for yourself! Communicate with your doctors about your concerns with their diagnoses. Theres often a lot more then they let on to.

As far as your eye pain, I may have one trick to help that! Peppermint oil is often sold in preparations with Lavender oil and packaged for migraine pain relief. They come creams, oils, balms,and all kinds of different forms. I've found it to be the most powerful medication for relieving eye pain and pressure. You can just rub some around your eye and let the peppermint work as a natural analgesic.

Good Luck,
Shannon.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:03 PM   #4
(female)

dbrister HB User

OceanGirl,

I think we might have twin cases of MS! I've read several of your posts and we have a LOT of the same issues. I had a "Bell's Palsy" type attack, optic neuritis, tons of migraines with pain in the eye that was attacked by ON, and terrible thrush with steroid use. Sounds like our most recent attacks even hit around the same time (I was hospitalized on 8/13 for 9 days).

Hang in there!
Dolores

Closed Thread