It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2002, 11:17 AM   #1

coldplay_2002 HB User
Post bell's palsy

hi i dont know if anyone will be able to help me but i was just wondering if anyone has expierinced bell's palsey and has any advice on it. i was just diagnosed 2 days ago with it and it is very frustrating to me. they put me on a steriod and an antibiotic and i was just wondering if anyone else has some pointers on how to get the pain or tightness to go away. i was also wondering if anyone has had it what there cause for it was...i have read so many reasons as to why you can get it..including pregnancy and my dr never mentioned that. thank you ahead of time.

Old 09-06-2002, 05:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User
What are your symptoms? I've heard of it, but don't know anything about it. A DDS I went to asked me if anyone every mentioned the possiblility that I could have it. I have TMJ and extremely sensitive teeth and gums as well as facial pain, but I think my problem is all related to bruxism and TMJ. Please post when you find out more and good luck with your treatment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2002, 07:17 AM   #3

coldplay_2002 HB User
well i dont think that u have it bc u know if u have it..well i didnt know what it was when i woke up and my face wasnt working! what happens or happened to me is the day before i got a sharp sharp almost unmanagable pain in my jaw area which seemed to be where my wisdom teeth where (which i had pulled about 6 months ago) so i thought maybe it was just a pain from that from the air conditioning or something well later on into the night my ear felt like it had an ear infection. so the next day i woke up and when i went to smile only the right side of my mouth was moving. also my eye wont close all the way and my ears are very sensitive to loud noise and i have a headache and my neck is stiff. but if u think that u may have that u should go see ur family dr. they only put u on steriods and an antibiotic but i hear early detection is good for ur chances of a full recovery.

Old 09-07-2002, 05:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User
No, that doesn't sound like what I have. I'm sorry you have to deal with that. It sounds terrible. Hope the Drs. can relieve your pain and soon!!!!

Old 09-08-2002, 06:24 PM   #5

Clover0411 HB User
I've had Bell's Palsy three times -- once on the right side of my face and twice on the left side. Each time the doctors gave me high doses of B vitamins and electrical stimulation to keep the muscles and nerve responding. The doctors don't really know what causes Bell's Palsy but think it is a virus. You could have it because of the trauma you had to your teeth. There is a nerve that comes up the side of your neck, behind your ear, and out the front side of your ear. This nerve branches off in (I think) three directions, up down and toward your nose. This is the nerve that controls your facial movements. Hopefully you will get full recovery of the nerves, but it could take a month and perhaps ever longer than that. I definitely would be under a doctors care as there are cases when the nerves do not recover, particularly in older people. Best wishes for a full recovery. On the positive side -- when the last episode of Bell's Palsy cleared up --- I lost all the wrinkles in my forehead!!!

Old 03-02-2004, 12:43 PM   #6

jendamme HB User
Question Re: bell's palsy

I've got Bells Palsey to. Im only 18 years old and am going on the third time of having it. I had it one year on one side of my face, then the next year on the other side of my face. Ive now got it again. What causes this? Its so horrible, the worst feeling in the world, and it looks horrible. The doctors said if i ever got it back again they were going to have to run tests on me, cause it wasnt normal for someone of my age to get it and to get it again at that...and so soon. I aint got the money to go to a doctor for it either right now, cause i dont live at home, and no insurance. Someone please help!!!! The doctors gave me a steroid for mine, and it went away within a month....

Jen

Old 03-12-2004, 03:50 PM   #7

bluearmyklt HB User
Re: bell's palsy

Hello there I had Bells Palsy when I was younger and basically its the 7th nerve in your face that some reason freezes or gets damaged it can happen from anything mine was through getting a draft down my ear! Basically it freezes one side of your face. I had earache, my eye wouldnt close properly and one side of my mouth wouldnt work, the effects are like a mini stroke and is uncomfortable but dont worry about it because it will go awaw. I was put on steroids and has cream for my eyes and an eyepatch and after so long it went away. The recover time is different for every person some people start to get better after a few weeks some a fw months but dont worry about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldplay_2002
hi i dont know if anyone will be able to help me but i was just wondering if anyone has expierinced bell's palsey and has any advice on it. i was just diagnosed 2 days ago with it and it is very frustrating to me. they put me on a steriod and an antibiotic and i was just wondering if anyone else has some pointers on how to get the pain or tightness to go away. i was also wondering if anyone has had it what there cause for it was...i have read so many reasons as to why you can get it..including pregnancy and my dr never mentioned that. thank you ahead of time.

Closed Thread