It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2008, 08:35 PM   #1
(female)

novembersea HB User
Question Zoster or HSV 2 look like

I went to urgent care two weeks ago, I had a rash in my upper buttcrack. They said looks like herpes. It healed within a week and I went to my GP when it was healed, but she could see the remaining scarring. She said it looks like herpes zoster, I said herpes or zoster, she said they are "treated" the same with the same drugs. Do these look the same? I am confused. I am awaiting a blood test to see what it shows up (she said if it made me feel better to get a test, I of course said YES). It was 2 months since my last sexual relationship, (not the avg 2-20 days to contract) so just hope she didn't get my hopes and just used "zoster" as a general term. I know that is a chickenpox virus/Shingles.

Has anyone had a dr diagnose visually this same scenario?

Last edited by novembersea; 01-20-2008 at 08:43 PM.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

matter of time HB User
Re: Zoster or HSV 2 look like

My boss is bald and I noticed what looked like herpes on his head. He did not know what it was and I just said "It looks like a virus"..Turned out it was shingles and they gave him valtex for it. He still has faded scar.

I did not want to volunteer that I had herpes 2 and it looked the same LOL.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2008, 08:13 AM   #3
(female)

novembersea HB User

Well I had Bell's Palsy last May, so wonder if it is Zoster since they are related.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:40 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ornament HB User

I believe that Bell's Palsy and Herpes Zoster are different strains of the herpes virus, which there are many different strains - depending on their location. Do an internet search on Herpes Strains and you should find the answers, that you're looking for.
Good Luck, -Ornament

Old 01-21-2008, 01:58 PM   #5
(female)

novembersea HB User

Well my test came back positive for HSV 1, but HSV 2, it was .15 which is too low, but my IGM antibodies were high, which means recent or recurring infection but does not detect which strain and "could" be zoster or 1 or 2. I would have to test again in 4 weeks or so to check if HSV 2 develops into IGG. I just called the lab, so I basically am "negative" for the 2, which is genital, but have to do more research on the 1. I am still waiting the Zoster test. It was not complete yet. : (

Old 01-21-2008, 04:22 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

catharine101 HB User

I'll re-post this in case someone doesn't read the other thread where I posted it today.

November - The IgM test is useless.

IgM detects numerous different types of antibodies - some of which have nothing whatsoever to do with herpes. A positive test means nothing, it doesn't even indicate a recent infection. There is no way of telling how old an infection is unless you have prior, negative results. Antibody levels vary in your blood at different times depending on whether you are fighting an outbreak, shedding, or reacting to something else.

Don't waste your money on these tests. You want the HerpesSelect IgG test to test for the HSV2 in a few months. I'm not sure what they use to test for the Zoster, but IgM isn't going to help you.

Also, HSV2 doesn't "develop" into IgG. The IgG test is specific to Herpes Simplex. So it's more like your body producing enough antibodies to register positive on an IgG test. And keep in mind - HSV1 and HSV2 can both occur in either location. Just because you test positive for HSV2, doesn't necessarily mean it's genital (although by far it's most common there). Both strains are capable of living in either location.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:27 PM   #7
(female)

novembersea HB User

Well my test said Postive for HSV 1 IGG and Negative for HSV 2 IGG, (.15 for HSV 2, which they said was negative). I just didn't know if I should retest for HSV 2 later, being it's already been 2 months prior to the test that I was active.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:45 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

catharine101 HB User

It usually takes 3 - 4 months for the antibodies to develop to a point where they would show positive. I'd wait another month or two, and then get re-tested.

Closed Thread