Hello Everyone. I am 27 years old, and have been suffering from a wide range of symptoms for about two years (my symptoms began after I had reached solid recovery from a long term eating disorder, which I have been comletely recovered from for almost 3 years). I have adult ADD, and generalized anxiety and see a psychiatrist about once every three months for meds.
As for my "mystery illness", I've been to just about every doctor under the sun, one of which even told me to get a second opinion with a psychiatrist (after I told him that I have talked to my own psychiatrist and she does not think my symptoms are psychosomatic in nature).
I've had just about every test known to man, had my wisdom teeth pulled (and since developed severe TMJ), and underwent a tonsillectomy late last year in hopes to not be sick all the time (it helped, but my illness has shifted rather than gone away!) I have been referred to, and referred out - so many times, and have even had a doctor tell me he didn't know, and there was nothing more he could do for me.
I was Dx with autoimmune thyroiditis a couple of months ago after an ultrasound of my thyroid, and am on Levothyroxine. But I don't feel better (except for maybe having more energy, otherwise I probably feel worse).
I am just at the end of my rope. I have another doctor's appointment today at 11:15am, with an internal medicine/endocrinologist. I am finding my declining physical health to be seriously impacting my emotional/mental health. I am only 27, but I feel like I'm in my 80's ! I am nervous about seeing this doctor tomorrow. Part of me doesn't even want to go. I can't take another let down. I just don't want to be sick anymore. I want to be well.
I had stumbled upon an article on on CFIDS yesterday (Chronic Fatigue & Immune Dysfunction Syndrome) and it sounded a lot like me, but again, I don't even want to "go there", because I don't want to get my hopes up.
I don't want anything to be "wrong" with me, but at the same time, I am almost looking for something - anything, I am grasping at strings, because with a diagnosis comes hope, and treatment.
I am just putting this out there, incase someone stumbles upon it and it rings a bell. This is my "symptom timeline" I guess you'd say. Well, thanks for listening.
Symptom Timeline June/August 2006:
• Doctor put me on Cymbalta
• Moved into condo
• Body still healing from past with eating disorder, things seem to be going well (recovered since early 2006)
• Quit Smoking (smoker for 10 years)
• Oral Surgery (Wisdom teeth) * Slow, painful recovery – symptoms began: Excrutiating headaches, Vision disturbances, Sinus problems, stabbing pains up left side of face, extreme exhaustion, cannot sleep enough (Followed up with my surgeon, exam and x-rays showed no abnormalities in healing)
Somewhere in this time frame I was Dx with ADHD and put on Adderall XR September 2006 – April 2007
• Profuse sweating despite temperature
• hot/cold sweats
• TMJ/tooth grinding
• neck stiffness
• constant re-occurring infections (mostly strep & sinus, continuous antibiotics, no lasting help.)
• energy decreased further
• waves of nausea (seemingly random)
• severe light sensitivity
• droopy left eye (almost partly paralyzed), occasional pulsating of left eye
• memory starts to decline, easily confused, easily distracted
• heart palpitations (saw cardiologist, heart is in perfect condition).
• Dx with insulin resistance (pre-diabetes) and put on Januvia.
• Switched from Januvia to Actos
• Hungry all the time, weight gain
• Switched from Actos to Metformin 500mg 2/Day
• Little improvement in symptoms, not much
• Vision gets really bad, depth perception problems very debilitating and affecting my driving
• Skin begins to burn and itch
• Develop severe restless leg syndrome
• Muscle pain and weakness so severe it hurts to move
• Feet & ankles swelling often
• Short term memory severely impaired
• Ringing in ears
• Pins and needles feeling in feet/toes, constantly getting bruises/cuts, not knowing how/when
• Always at the Emergency Care Clinic, sick non-stop: infections, strep throat, sinus problems, canker sores, etc. April 2007 – October 2007
• Start going to doctors regularly
• Doctor finds no major abnormalities, refers me to an allergist (allergy tested – normal)
• Xrays, CT Scans – normal
• ENT – blood work okay, ANA negative
• Doctor admits me into hospital in June thinking symptoms might be adverse reaction to the Cymbalta
• Hospital for 1 week, Weened off Cymbalta – start feeling a bit better
• Physically assaulted in hospital – hurt neck (since then I am constantly cracking my neck, constant stiff neck)
• Discharged from hospital, off of Cymbalta, put on Zoloft
• Feel a little better for about a month, but not quite “well”
• Develop constant lingering bitter/metallic taste in my mouth
• Acid reflux gets worse
• Blood sugars not controlled, often very low
• Metformin decreased from 500mg AM & PM to 500 MG AM
• Begin taking ibuprofen or Tylenol to function through the day (control pain, headaches, inflammation)
• Start seeing another ENT
• Tonsillectomy October 2007
• Slow painful recovery
• Sore throat never went away after surgery
• On and off post-nasal drip December 2008-Current
• Dx with Autoimmune Thyroiditis after thyroid ultrasound and evidenced hypothyroid in blood work, otherwise blood work mostly normal
• Dental work, aggravated TMJ, headaches, neck stiffness, facial pain
• Hot flashes, on and off fever
• Random nausea, occasional vomiting
• Energy decreased
• Bowl problems (bowl urgency or constipation, irregular/abnormal patterns, not well digested)
• Small pin sized bumps on skin, occasionally itchy and inflamed
• Generally just don’t feel well, ever …
• Hand & Feet Severe Pain, Cold/Sweaty Toes
• Body/muscle aches increase (Pretty constant, but gets worse with cold weather)
• Continuous post nasal drip, non stop despite medication and nose sprays
• Sore throat (steady since late October 2007
• Left eye feels gritty and like there’s pressure on it
• Occasional difficulty breathing, feel throat closing