It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2008, 11:57 AM   #1
(male)

spw1976 HB User
vist from a child hood friend

I had a recent Grand Mal Seizure at work and was rushed to the hospital. I had general epilepsy as a child but had been seizure free for over 20 years. Im 31 now and a side from the occasional glass of wine at diner I live a pretty health life style.

I went for my second eeg and my neurogist said that epilepsy is back first one showed no seizure activity. Is it common with people with childhood epilepsy to relapse after such a long time? Are their things that provoke a relapse or is that just the deal when you have had epilepsy as a child.

Lately both building up to the seizure and since then I feel like Iíve turned into an emotional wreck. I canít focus at work, cant sleep at night and I feel as if im in a constant state of either sadness or anxiety. It bothers me because I was never like that. I was always happy and wouldnít never let stress get to me. Now it seems like the smallest things gives me the feeling of panic. People have who have known me for years have commented saying im just not the same person which is never nice to hear. Can seizures mess with your emotions or are they not related? Has any one else had a similar experience. Any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2008, 06:34 PM   #2
(female)

everythingisinorder HB User
Re: vist from a child hood friend

Welp, uh. Alright, we'll start with the childhood stuff.
Don't take my word for this, but I'd say that the recurring epilepsy after dormancy isn't -normal- or occuring -often-, per se, but it does happen.

As for the recent relapse... It sounds like stress itself caused the seizure. Have you been having absence seizures at all before the grand mal incident? I'm assuming there's been no head trauma, that's kinda something you'd mention having been Dx'd with a seizure disorder. ;P. Anyway. Stress plays a -major- factor in a number of conditions, not just epilepsy. For my boyfriend, it's Bell's Palsy (which is kinda funny, just not for him ;P). I personally find that when I'm really worked up, upset, euphoric/excited, under pressure, or feeling anxious or restless, I'm waaaay more prone to staring competitions with myself (absence seizures). Typically, either before or after a seizure, I'll have an extreme mood swing. Unfortunately, the pendulum tends to swing towards depressed/irritable/moody. So it's extremely likely that your change in personality has been due to the seizures.

And, welp, if you refuse to accept that stress caused the grand mal, I'm at a loss. Could've just happened. Brain disorders are like time bombs.

My suggestion? Talk to your Neurologist about treatment options. It sounds like you'd need some combination of anti-epileptics, but I suggest Lamictal. Just because I'm on it and have noticed the mood swings with seizures dissipating, even at the very low dose I'm taking. (I'm on such a low dose because: a) I just started the medication a few months ago, and b) the drug presents a risk of a life-threatening rash, and hasn't been proven safe for people under the age of 18, so we're taking it slow).

I wish I knew what more to say about the childhood stuff. My parents say that in retrospect, they were wrong for assuming that my strange tendencies (completely forgetting what I was talking about mid-sentence or walking away mid-conversation, lack of attention in classes, etc) as a kid were just like a "welp, she's in Gifted Reach Out, she must have something different about her brain". My official diagnosis is "seizure disorder NOS", but my Ndoc is thinking juvenile myoclonic now, having stemmed from a form of childhood absence epilepsy. *Shrugs*

Good luck, mate!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2008, 08:26 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User
Re: vist from a child hood friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by spw1976 View Post

Lately both building up to the seizure and since then I feel like Iíve turned into an emotional wreck. I canít focus at work, cant sleep at night and I feel as if im in a constant state of either sadness or anxiety. It bothers me because I was never like that. I was always happy and wouldnít never let stress get to me. Now it seems like the smallest things gives me the feeling of panic. People have who have known me for years have commented saying im just not the same person which is never nice to hear. Can seizures mess with your emotions or are they not related? Has any one else had a similar experience. Any suggestions?
After I had my GM seizure seven years ago, I turned into a different person for about 3 months. I think it was just the fear of going through it again, because I was awake through a lot of it. I was anxious and depressed for a few months until I felt more secure that the medications were working. So in my case, it was a direct result of the fear of having another GM. I don't know if that's what you're going through or not.

Closed Thread