It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2008, 05:33 PM   #1
(male)

desmond16 HB User
Need Help With Facial Paralysis.

My name is Desmond, and I'm 16 and from Ireland.

I've been a very healthy guy all my life, and besides having asthma (which is practically non-existant anymore) I had it well. I play alot of sports, and I love martial arts and gyms. My life changed when I became 13, the unlucky number many say. In September 2005, I was diagnosed with Bell's Palsy. Of course, I had never heard it, and of course, I was confident I could rid myself of it. Having gotten steroids and reflexology, my face healed 100% fully, with not even a slight bit of permanent damage. It only took less than 6 months. Yet, during this period of recovery, my coughing began to accelerate in frequency, by almost triple. Having gotten many x-rays on my chest, which all showed up completely clear, it was obvious the problem was based in my head. Then, a very unique trait developed which I still have to this day, but only, it's worse. I snort down my nose all the time, or ''blow'' down my nose all the time. I havent touched drugs or anything, heh, but I cannot find a record of anyone on the net who has a similar problem. My mother is convinced my sinuses are damaged, and that my airways are malfunctioning since I snort to clear my nose, to be able to breathe. Now, my question is, wasn't it the perfect time for this to develop, when the Bells Palsy came along? Would I be like this if I hadn't gotten BP? If your not in shock by now, take a breath, because worse is to come.

Having been on top of the moon with joy, because it had healed so well, I felt like this sickness was behind me, but...

2 years later, in October 2007, I got bells palsy, again, and having read some of the statistics, for someone of my age, and my build, and my good health, that is EXTREMELY rare.

4-6 percent of people get BP again within a ten year period, I didn't even need 3 years.

To this day, August 9th, 2008, I still have BP. I have been to Physios, Acupuncturists and Reflexology, and even though the wrinkles in my forehead are a tiny bit better, it hasn't moved. My nose and cough are now even worse, and I have a constant frustration flowing through me, even in the happiest times, such as my birthday. Always wheezing to get up flem, which doesn't exist, always blowing my nose to clear space that isin't there. Staying sane is a problem right now.

Finally, I have read alot of documents about it, and what astonishes me is that, even with our hightech, advanced technology, we cannot figure out what causes it? Or even what a specific treatment is? Another thing that has me in shock is, the whole dry cornea idea? My eye on the affected side is always WET, and it often leaks on my face with tears, it is NEVER dry.

I wonder, is bells palsy what i actually have?

Please give me some suggestions.

Desmond.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2008, 06:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: Need Help With Facial Paralysis.

I am sorry you have/had bells palsy, it is no fun. I had it at age 35 and I am now 73. BP tried to come back each time I gave birth to our children (3 yrs apart). Stress is a factor in it's return. It was 10 years before my face stopped hurting and even today when I get tired the side with BP will bother me. Fortunately I do not have a sagging or twisted face.

I also have dry eyes and do believe part is due to having had BP.

The eye that stays wet is most likely dry eye condition. Dry eyes sometimes will stay moist but the moisture is too thin to be much protection for the eye like regular tears. Try using a good lubricating eye drop in both eyes.

I was told it all depends on how your health is at time BP strikes as to how well you will recover. I took Predisone for 4 weeks. My doctor told me there was nothing more the medical profession could do, prayer would see me thru.

Since you were in good health, I am sure in time you will fully recover.

Last edited by Misty800; 08-09-2008 at 06:17 PM.

Closed Thread