It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2008, 09:07 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

*Versailles* HB User
Question Progressive weakening of facial muscles

So, I've had this for years....in fact probably over a decade now. My left side of my face it just weaker...it really shows when I smile when one side does a full smile and the other just looks like a sad attempt. My eye seems to be a bit droopy on the same side as well.

Anyway, I've noticed it is gradually getting worse...to the point that even when I'm making no facial expression at all, I can see the difference...especially in my mouth...one side just looks so much weaker than the other.

I know Bell's Palsy can cause weakness on one side of the face...but usually it comes up very quickly...like within days...this has been going on for over a decade. I really am embarrassed to go to the doctor because I figure they will shrug it off and make me feel stupid for going.

Is it possible this is something serious? Or am I just worrying too much?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
Re: Progressive weakening of facial muscles

No self respecting physcian will take this lightly. It could be a sign of a serious disorder, you should see a neurologist right away.

It might be something as simple as a pinched nerve or nerve damage from a virus you had years ago . . . Or it could be a slow growing tumor putting pressure on one of the crainal nerves or damage from a stroke you never even knew you had.

I don't mean to spook you. 9 times out of 10, when there are no other symptoms, it's a just pinched or damaged nerve - but you should see someone to make sure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread