It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2008, 09:55 AM   #1
(female)

Saymymind HB User
what would cause tingling to the right side of the face in diabetics?

what would cause tingling to the right side of the face in diabetics? I am a new diabetic, who takes 500 mg Metformin twice a day. Otherwise the changes to my diet have been causing controlled BGL and weightloss. I also make sure to drink 6 - 8 16 oz glasses of water a day. Yesterday the right side of my face began to tingle, it is a strange tingle, It also has like a hollow feeling to it. There is no facial drooping, vision changes or other symptoms. I increased my water intake, but it is still there. Has anyone ever heard of anything quite like this?

Last edited by Saymymind; 10-13-2008 at 10:03 AM.

Old 10-18-2008, 01:47 PM   #2
(female)

kind1 HB User
Re: what would cause tingling to the right side of the face in diabetics?

Please call your doctor, and let them know of the tingling, if even having to ask his 'answering service' to contact him by beeper. He or she may also want to refer you to an endocrinologist (deals with hormonal disorders and insulin is a hormone) if you haven't already talked with one to follow up and monitor your condition.

Please do make sure that you check your blood sugar as often as the doctor recommends. Some people may need to check their sugar levels more often than others. If really concerned about your symptoms, please don't hesitate to call 9-1-1. I'm hoping that you get some answers soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2008, 06:07 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

The symptoms you describe are similar to those of bell's palsy which affects the nerves in the brain (cranial nerve VII), in which people with diabetes have a higher risk...these symptoms also show up in patients with lyme's disease as well.

The following website has more info:

[url]http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/bells/detail_bells.htm[/url]

Last edited by bethsheba; 10-20-2008 at 06:10 AM.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:23 AM   #4
(female)

robinegg HB Userrobinegg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saymymind View Post
what would cause tingling to the right side of the face in diabetics? I am a new diabetic, who takes 500 mg Metformin twice a day. Otherwise the changes to my diet have been causing controlled BGL and weightloss. I also make sure to drink 6 - 8 16 oz glasses of water a day. Yesterday the right side of my face began to tingle, it is a strange tingle, It also has like a hollow feeling to it. There is no facial drooping, vision changes or other symptoms. I increased my water intake, but it is still there. Has anyone ever heard of anything quite like this?
Hi Saymymind
This sounds like diabetic neuropathy do you ever get it in your feet too?

I would discuss this with your doctor and as you are on metformin I recommend getting your B12 levels checked as this medication can cause low levels and the tingles and numbness that comes with a B12 deficiency.....
It is worth asking for B12 serum, Hcy & MMA these are elevated if yor serum reads normal.......

Good Luck

Closed Thread