It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
(female)

Millicent74 HB User
Unhappy Looking for some answers...

Hi All,

I am new to the boards and hoping to even just get some ideas of what might be going on with me. About 3 months ago I started to get tingling and numbness in my left hand. It rapidly progressed to upper arm paralysis. I went for tons of blood work and an MRI. That ruled out MS and they didn't see any lymphoma. The blood tests did not show any thyroid problems. I asked my doctor if it could be ALS and she said that ALS presents itself symetrically (I have since found out this isn't always the case).

I haven't been able to use my arm in over 2 months now. I have went to physio and that isn't helping either. In fact my arm seems to be getting worse - even my lower arm is showing symptoms now.

I also have some other symptoms that may or may not be related - dizziness, vertigo, over heating and rectal bleeding (I have had a barium enema and sigmoidoscopy which came out normal, going for colonoscopy in the new year).

Anyways, my doctor doesn't seem too concerned but umm, I can't move my arm!!! And it is getting worse!

Does anyone have anything even remotely similar? Could it be lupus? ALS? Parkinsons?

I did not have any injury to trigger the arm problems...they just showed up.

Oh and it isn't carpal tunnel (those sets of nerves aren't affected).

Thanks for any feedback.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2009, 03:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User
Re: Looking for some answers...

Have you had an MRI

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2009, 03:53 PM   #3
(female)

Millicent74 HB User

Yeah, I had the MRI of my brain and spine - the results came back normal.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User

You sound like me to a degree....normal tests, odd things going on, no answers.

I assume you have been tested for lupus already and had an EMG to rule out NM diseases.

Do they have any clue what it could be?

I am being treated for POSSIBLE lyme but thats from an LLMD and I just dont buy it, I live in the city. Though I did start to feel somewhat btr after starting treatment yet some came back.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:31 PM   #5
(female)

Millicent74 HB User

Yes, have been tested for Lupus, all vitamin and blood type tests come back normal. I finally found out I have either crohn's or colitis but no one can explain the other symptoms.

I haven't been tested for lyme, but given my location and the fact that I don't walk around in the woods on a regular basis I just don't see how lyme might be possible.

The whole thing is frustrating and scary and making me feel a bit crazy.

Sorry to hear you are going through similar.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:48 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User

Millicent, I had the hands tingling thing too, it started to go up my arm, you know what helped get rid of it for me? I went to my chiropractor, I had a vertebra out in my neck which was connected to my nerves in the hand and arm, the numbness went away after a day or two. I can put my neck out from talking on the phone, or more like holding the phone with my shoulder and not my hands. Could it be your neck is out and you don't know it. My neck didn't really hurt at all, but it was out big time.

I had whiplash when I was younger so I have a curve that shouldn't be there at the top of my spine, when I get the hands going to to sleep on me, I know it's time to visit my chiropractor again.

By the way, there finding out that even mosquitoes can carry the lymes now. So don't rule out lymes either.

Best of luck to you, I'll receive a notice if you post back. Hope you find some relief. Diana

Old 02-07-2009, 08:04 PM   #7
(female)

seekfind HB User

I live in the city, too. And I have Lyme Disease. It is EVERYWHERE. I've heard of a case of someone getting it from a tick in Central Park (NYC).

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2626 View Post
I am being treated for POSSIBLE lyme but thats from an LLMD and I just dont buy it, I live in the city. Though I did start to feel somewhat btr after starting treatment yet some came back.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:10 PM   #8
(female)

seekfind HB User

Lyme could be VERY possible, actually.

I have Lyme Disease and developed food allergies from it. It looks an AWFUL lot like chron's. I would swear I have it (esp. when I eat the food I'm allergic to). You may want to google: Bell's palsy of the gut. I initially was misdiagnosed with IBS (when it was Lyme).

I want to point out that you don't have to have EVER walked in the woods to get Lyme disease. I have never walked in the woods. I'm a city person. I have Lyme Disease.

And since the tests for Lyme are faulty, it most likely will come back negative, if you can even get a doctor who will test you for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millicent74 View Post
Yes, have been tested for Lupus, all vitamin and blood type tests come back normal. I finally found out I have either crohn's or colitis but no one can explain the other symptoms.

I haven't been tested for lyme, but given my location and the fact that I don't walk around in the woods on a regular basis I just don't see how lyme might be possible.

The whole thing is frustrating and scary and making me feel a bit crazy.

Sorry to hear you are going through similar.

Last edited by seekfind; 02-07-2009 at 08:11 PM.

Closed Thread