It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2009, 03:18 PM   #1
(male)

mezba HB User
Unhappy Anyone talk out of one side of their mouth?

Hi there!

I don't know whether this is even the right category to be posting this but I guess it could fall under a 'cosmetic' problem if anything else. For about the last 5 years or so now I have been talking slightly out of the right side of my mouth. It seems as if the muscles have weakened on one side around the side and of my upper lip slightly and this gives me a distorted look when I talk. I have heard about peoples jaws being affected after having their wisdom teeth removed, which I had done 10 years ago, and can affect the shape of the mouth but there has been no apparent change to my jaw line. It is really starting to affect my confidence in a big way as I constantly notice people whom I am talking to playing with one side of their own mouth and this distracts me from what I am trying to say. This may seem trivial but I just don't know why this has happened and I don't know whether it will get worse over time.

Anyone with any advice or experience of this happening to themselves or someone they know please get in touch.

Cheers

Old 03-17-2009, 07:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User
Re: Anyone talk out of one side of their mouth?

Hi!
It sounds a little like Bell's palsy. I had a friend who had it. it can last awhile but it does go away. Ask a doctor, there might be something you can take for it. Look it up. Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2009, 09:10 PM   #3
(female)

amms2125 HB User

That does sound like Bell's Palsy. Mine got bad and I had it for 3+ months. It is just treated with rest and a steroid. Hopefully it isn't that but you may want to look into it Good luck and best wishes!

Old 03-19-2009, 01:32 PM   #4
(male)

mezba HB User

Thanks for the advise guys, I'll check it out and see what the craic is. Thanks again x

Old 03-23-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
(female)

OmegaDiva HB User

I would imagine after 5 years it's a tad late for any treatment. I read up on this stuff a year ago and as far as I can recall Bells Palsy aswell as RAMSEY HUNT SYNDROME is something where treatment should be started ASAP as I believe there is a limited time for improvement 3-6 Months?.

Providing you didn't suffer suffer any vertigo type symptoms, sickness, nausea, soreness inside the ear at the time this all started, we can count RH Syndrome out as this condition is often confused with Bells Palsy - the only factor they typically share is the drooping of the face and sometimes an upper eyelid, apart from that they are very different. RHS is part of the Herpes Zoster virus (a form of shingles!)

Some facial excercising may bring some improvement

Last edited by OmegaDiva; 03-23-2009 at 04:08 PM.

Closed Thread