It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2010, 09:57 PM   #1
(female)

dwainright HB User
Question Scared...Please help me.

Hi everyone, I am wondering if anyone knows how my symptoms relate to M.S. or another medical condition...any info. is appreciated.Thank you ahead of time for your help...

Here is my story in a nut shell....o.k. a big nut shell...almost 15 years...

Well, about 14 years ago I woke up one morning and 3 fingers were numb but it was a painful numbness if that makes sense..it would not go awy do I finally went to E.R..which they found nothing probably slept wrong...ok..cool..the thing is the pain and numbness were there way too long for sleeping wrong..finally it seemed to go away.
A few years after that I began to get numbness in my hands and fingers...tested for Carpal Tunnel..Nope...this still comes and goes.
About 2 years after that I was in a spot I will not discuss here...maybe just say intimate..anyhow I began getting a pain in my head and face.It was horrible and thought I was dying...I could not move my head or neck in any direction that that pain was not there. nor did I go to the hospital as I figured I moved the wrong way.
A few weeks later I started having this horrible pain in my face..go to Dr.. no answers..E.R...no answers..ask around no-one I knew has ever experienced it..It was different in so many ways..One time it is a stbbing, shooting pain or a tearing pain or it could feel like the right side of my face is in a vise being squeeze real hard.This is random,I have tried to pinpoint when it will happen,what makes it happen and what makes it stop..there sre no answers for this, it can happen out of no-where. I can be tense or totally relaxed, I can be in a room full of people or totally alone.
It can last an hour or it can last a month.They can be electricflying or just a dull ache that doesn't let up.
I can take pain pills or nothing. put heat on or ice...either way the pain doesn't let up.
I have layed there trying not to touch my face at all and then there are times I have pressed the metal side of a hammer to my face as to create my own pain to try and be in some kind of control of it.
I have been to several Drs. and er trips with no answers, no tests..One night on an er visit about a year ago a dr..on call finally took the time to figure it out and knew and said I had Trigeminal Neuralgia.
There are times I have no problems and then something new will come along...
Random pains in legs and harms like being punched real hard from the inside out, these do not last long..just a punch here or there,
Numbness in fingers, arms and legs.
Trouble walking, Trip over my own feet and fall.
In the las few years I have had trouble with feeling things, what I mean is I can walk from kitchen to get a soda and carry it to the living room to sit and watch t.v. or whatever, but before I can make it from the the kitchen to living room I drop the soda or whatever because my hand goes numb and I can not feel or hold onto what is in my hands.
I have felt to exhausted just to walk around feels like I just ran a marathon.
I forget things..the scariest I have forgotten or whatever it was..
I drove my daughter to the bus stop one morning because it was really cold and snowing bad out,
When she got home from school I was kind of mad at her and I told her why didn't you wake me up to take you to the bus it was bad out today..she looked at me weird and said mom, you did take me to the bus!
I have had a hard time remembering things that have happened recently as well as in the past and have had to ask family you did this or this happen in my past or childhood because its like I don't really know.
I have this feeling of being shocked when I bend my head forward at times.
I have random buzzing and vibration that goes through as well as other parts of my body.
The buzz in my head kind resembles a guitar string that been stretched and let go..know what I mean.. The vibrations are like a cell phone on vibrate kind of.
Stiffness is another problem I have alot in my legs or like frozen legs..go to get up and just can't make it right away..or my legs are stiff and hurting to walk.
I GET that in my arms also at times.
I get heaviness in my arms and legs like they weigh a ton.
Spams and twitches here and there out of nowhere.
About 5 months ago I woke up and my vision was way off and I couldn't see, it wasn't like a total darkness thing though...just wasn't clear if that makes sense?...I was having bad pains in both eyes but my left eyes seemed so much worse, the pain was alot when I moved my eyes and a really bad pain that seemed to stab me right through my eyes to the back of my head.
It was like a blind or gray curtain was pulled over my eyes or like a black screen from screen door and nothing was really clear although I could still see it.
I could not drive, couldn't walk too far without help or carry Grandbaby around.
Went to Hospital did a CT scan and said I had swelling in my eyes.
Nothing more done or said....Could this be the Optic Nueritis they talk about?
Anyhow made another appointment with Doctor this time I finally found a new doctor who would accept my medical insurance
I go see the new guy..he asked my some questions does the exam thing and talks about the TN..I tell him about my eyes and what the ER said about the swelling..he says whos your Neuro and I said don't have one he says you do now and sets me up and is mad that no-one has referred me to one before now.
A month later I am in the Neuro office being checked out, finger to nose, ect. runs a sharp stick thing down my legs and bottom of feet..never felt a thing.Asks me about my headaches that last for a week straight and talks about my eyes and what the E.R. said and does the flashlight thing in my eyes and says how long have you had a lazy eye(left-eye), which I reply never know I had one.
Does a few more things and says I want you to have an MRI I'm going to set it up right now, come back in a month for TN follow-up.
So I call and confirm MRI appt. with Hosp., they say she wants you to have it as soon as possible can you come in at 7:30 the following morning.
So I go to MRI in morning, they do scans for awhile and then inject dye stuff to do more scans.
I have been told MRI should not be painful or cause any kind of sensations so I do not understand this because when I had mine I had sensations going through my body though they were not painful.When it was over I stood up and felt weak like I couldn't walk and was seeing double.
Scarey.
I have probably left alot out of this but you get the picture of something I have gone through over a period of almost 15 years this year.
To bring up to this day..After the MRI.. I have begun to experience more weird things...
for about a week and a half, my eyes started hurting again and it seems the differnet sounds send weird sensations through my body and it is snowy outside and when someone comes in and the carpet gets wet from their feet and I walk across barefoot it seems to feel like the bottom of my feet are burning.
I have had this painful sensation around my lower back and sometimes up to my chest like I can not breath, I have a burning sensation in the top front of my upper legs and horrible Restless legs at night.
My eyes seem to be moving all the time even when I am trying to fall asleep which makes it hard to fall asleep, Though I do not feel this or the TN once I am asleep.
Anyhow just weird, random and sometimes really painful things that come and go with new and old things each time except the TN which always comes and go.
I don't know if anyone has ever had any of these things happen to them...I have been told I have Bi-polar, F ibro and other things like it's your head but really not alot of tests or blood work done.
I am not crazy, I know my body and what it feels or doesn't..
Neuro Nurse called a few weeks ago...Got results back from the MRI...Dr. is tooo book to get you in right now and the Holidays and all..try to have a nice Holiday and try not to worry too mucha nd she will go over results the 25th of Jan. when you come in.
I am scared of what it could be and scared they will once again tell me they found nothing like other things they have done..I reaally hope by finally having an MRI it will shed some light as to what is wrong and I can get treated...

Please help if you have had of these things happen..no-one in my circle of family and friends have had these things happen to them and though they are there for me and supportive I need someone whos been in this to help me and talk to...

Thank you....Hope all will have a Happy New Year!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2010, 10:21 PM   #2
(female)

mskat HB User
Re: Scared...Please help me.

Yes TN is hard to diagnoise, They pulled out my teeth thinking it was my teth was hurting. Well I was misdiagnoise. Now they the tell me it TN as well as bell's palsy.
Pain throught throght the body can also be very painful. Ask your doctor about Fibromylalgia. I get up some in the morning or evening with the day with pain..also my hands go numb,maybe from poor circurilation. I' not a doctor, but I suggest you gt a 2nd opinion. I wish the best

Kathy

Old 01-03-2010, 04:50 PM   #3
(female)

lytchh HB User

Wow, I have about 60% of those symptons but assumed they are not related. Just felt I have accumulated a lot of conditions and a lot of symptons. Now the vibration on the top of my head went unidentified after an MRI. I also have it on my side. Feels like my cell phone vibrating. Plus I am diabetic with the usual nerve damage. Seems no one knows so for now I choose not to worry. Doing me no good until it can be identified.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:12 AM   #4
(female)

joyduf HB User

I am not a doctor. I have a relative who has most of your symtoms. Relative was diagnosed with Dystonia at Emory Hospital by a doctor whose name I do not have. There is help there, but no cure unfortunately. She had symtoms for years before anyone put a name on her problem.
Good luck and blessings, joyduf

Old 01-04-2010, 01:07 PM   #5
(female)

dwainright HB User

mskat -I know what you mean about the TN and dental work-I also was told it was my teeth although I didn't think they were that bad and ended up having them all pulled and it was not even from my teeth..have had 2 sets of dentures made and can not wear either pair because of the spamsms and pain.

lytchh - I know what you mean the vibrations come from nowhere it's really weird..doesn't hurt just weird and annoying...Good luck and God Bless you!

joyduf -I have never heard of Dystonia...thanks for the info and best wishes to your family member..
God Bless you all and thanks for all your replies.
Dorothy

Old 01-05-2010, 07:06 PM   #6
(female)

needhelp1 HB User

I could have written this article...I have been suffering with alot of the same sympthoms. Burning entire face, front of shins, both forearms and back of shoulders like a bad sunburn or pressure, tingling sensations from head to toe, loud ringing or high pitched noise in ears, back of head itching, ears itching and so on and on and on. I cannot remember things that I need to remember. I cannot remember conversations, past memories or childhood. Head is always foggy and cannot concentrate on work or more than one task at a time. I have always been a great multitasker and I am lucky to get it done one thing at a time recently. It seems to be getting more intense. This has been over a period of 3 or more years but is getting worse.
I go to the neurologist AGAIN tomorrow, hopefully he will be able to tell me something positive. I believe it is some form of neuropathy but what medications will help. Each doctor has their own opinion but nothing has helped. I have tried neurotin (cannot wake up in the morning), elavil (cannot wake up on this either), cymbalta (for fibromyglia ??? tried 6 months only made me not care that I feel bad), trazadone (makes for a good night sleep without morning problems). Brain MRI ruled out MS! But you are not alone - no one knows what it feels like, like you I know I am not crazy. Even though it is harder and harder to feel that way. I will ask the neurologist about dystonia tomorrow. I will let you know what he says maybe it will help to get both of us and peace of mine.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:42 AM   #7
(female)

dwainright HB User

needhelp1-
Good Luck at the Neuro Today!..I really hope it goes good for you..please let me know what happens.
I'm sorry you are going through these things as well..And it's even harder if you have State Medical like I do and hard when differnent doctors says different things yet none can actually do the right test and figure it out..
So far the day is good for me..of course I actually got some sleep last night..so that does help..then again it is only 9:30 am!...lol
Anyhow hoping your day goes good and your doctor visit brings some kind of answers for you today...please keep me posted-
God Bless-
Dorothy

Old 01-08-2010, 08:24 AM   #8
(female)

needhelp1 HB User

Good morning Dorothy - no such luck at the neurologist. He just frustrated me more than I already was. He still insist it is Fibromyalgia even though I only have a few sympthoms. He said it is not neuropathy even though I have 9 out of 10 sympthoms. He didn't even listen to me, in and out of office in 5 minutes. I want a second opinion from a different neuro office. This is the reason it is so frustrating because now your sent back to a different doctor to send you to another. Ughhhhhh! I talked to several friends and family that have Fibro and they do not have anything like we do! Please let me know if you hear anything from your doctors too. Hope your day goes well!

Old 01-10-2010, 06:57 PM   #9
(female)

terrylee94 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Scared...Please help me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by needhelp1 View Post
I could have written this article...I have been suffering with alot of the same sympthoms. Burning entire face, front of shins, both forearms and back of shoulders like a bad sunburn or pressure, tingling sensations from head to toe, loud ringing or high pitched noise in ears, back of head itching, ears itching and so on and on and on. I cannot remember things that I need to remember. I cannot remember conversations, past memories or childhood. Head is always foggy and cannot concentrate on work or more than one task at a time. I have always been a great multitasker and I am lucky to get it done one thing at a time recently. It seems to be getting more intense. This has been over a period of 3 or more years but is getting worse.
I go to the neurologist AGAIN tomorrow, hopefully he will be able to tell me something positive. I believe it is some form of neuropathy but what medications will help. Each doctor has their own opinion but nothing has helped. I have tried neurotin (cannot wake up in the morning), elavil (cannot wake up on this either), cymbalta (for fibromyglia ??? tried 6 months only made me not care that I feel bad), trazadone (makes for a good night sleep without morning problems). Brain MRI ruled out MS! But you are not alone - no one knows what it feels like, like you I know I am not crazy. Even though it is harder and harder to feel that way. I will ask the neurologist about dystonia tomorrow. I will let you know what he says maybe it will help to get both of us and peace of mine.
Multiple Sclerosis doesn't always show up in your brain. This disease affects the nerves and that can be on any part of the brain OR spinal cord. I am going thru much of the same for quite a few years, getting worse over the past 5 though. today i lost my balance 4 times and fell once...caught myself on another. my eyes constantly hurt...blurred, foggy. and numbness over my entire back but worse on the left ...up my neck and then it switches over to the other side of my head...which is new over the past 3 weeks. many many more but i really dont like typing that much! i have learned to "listen to my body"...and not to give in to some doctor who wants to diagnose with numerous small things and give you prescriptions that , sometimes, you dont necessarily need. i dont go for the 'bipolar' thing very well...if your body is numb...your body is numb!!!!! when you are falling down to the floor...bipolar has nothing to do with it! MS is a tricky one...it likes to play 'hide and seek'. I wish you the best...and listen to your body!

Old 01-12-2010, 04:11 PM   #10
(female)

surreygal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylee94 View Post
Multiple Sclerosis doesn't always show up in your brain. This disease affects the nerves and that can be on any part of the brain OR spinal cord. I am going thru much of the same for quite a few years, getting worse over the past 5 though. today i lost my balance 4 times and fell once...caught myself on another. my eyes constantly hurt...blurred, foggy. and numbness over my entire back but worse on the left ...up my neck and then it switches over to the other side of my head...which is new over the past 3 weeks. many many more but i really dont like typing that much! i have learned to "listen to my body"...and not to give in to some doctor who wants to diagnose with numerous small things and give you prescriptions that , sometimes, you dont necessarily need. i dont go for the 'bipolar' thing very well...if your body is numb...your body is numb!!!!! when you are falling down to the floor...bipolar has nothing to do with it! MS is a tricky one...it likes to play 'hide and seek'. I wish you the best...and listen to your body!
Hi there:
Have you been checked for auto-immune diseases? I have Sjogren's Syndrome with brain lesions. I was mis-diagnosed with MS originally. It turns out many auto-immune diseases such as Sjogren's can cause neurological dysfunction that mimics neurological diseases. When I am having a flare-up, I am exhausted with "brain fog"; I also experience intermittent symtoms and signs including the following: foot dragging, bladder urgency/incontinence, blurred vision, "holes" in my vision, trembling, headaches, sudden unexplained nausea, constipation, rashes, numbness and tingling in cheeks, face, fingers, toes, drooping right eyelid, etc.
There are no definitive tests for auto-immune diseases, but there are "markers" for each. In my case, blood test showed nothing significant, but I had a lip biopsy that showed positive, and with my symptoms, I have been positively diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome. It is a "chameleon disease" and often misdiagnosed. It can present in so many different ways, depending on which organs it is currently attacking. This is only one of many auto-immune diseases that you could possibly have. That would be my recommendation to pursue, and NO you're not crazy! (Been there--don't give up!)

Old 01-13-2010, 06:21 AM   #11
(female)

needhelp1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylee94 View Post

Old 01-13-2010, 06:39 AM   #12
(female)

needhelp1 HB User

Thank you for responding - just left the doctor again. She is sending me to the Mayo Clinic. The doctors in our area do not seem to know or want to take the time to find out what is wrong. She did have me do some films today just to make sure it is not any compressed discs. But I did just get some information from a Medical director for a pharmacetical company - he mentioned that I may be have more intense sympthoms now from side effects from the drugs I am on. When I thought about that, my prescriptions dosages were changed 4 months ago and that is how long I have had the ringing in my ears, burning shins and arms. My face has burned for 3 years so I know that didn't cause that. The doctor switched medications today taking me slowly off cymbalta and changing to topromax. The medical director also suggested (as did you) a Spinal tap, Spinal MRI and evoked potentials test of the brain response to test for MS. I am willing to do anything to find out what this is and if it can't be cured, control it so it quits controlling ME! I really hope that these boards help all of us. Have a blessed day!

Old 01-14-2010, 07:23 PM   #13
(female)

terrylee94 HB User

i have worked on and off in the health care system in Ontario since 1991, and i have to admit that i had really no idea of how many different "neuro" illnesses were out there in this world. MS was first mentioned to me from a doctor in Toronto in approx 1985...i moved shortly after and everything seemed to get a little better...so i went on with life in total denial and as long as i felt good, never thought about it much after. Then something else happened, that really didnt seem to be bad enough for a hosp check, but i went anyways...in emerge the dr asked me if i was ever tested for MS..hmm ..another in 2000 also very seriously said i was showing symptoms of MS and that he was concerned and wanted me to start being "tested". This doctor was filling in for my fam dr. and when my family dr returned he was angry for me being told that and said there was absolutly nothing wrong.
Then I really started to be concerned and ever since I have been fighting to get someone to figure out just what is going on with my body. It is so frustrating and definitly adds to the stress of the illness alone.
Tests are now being done but i have to fight to get the doctors to take me seriously and actually DO something about it.
My body is numb and tingly...all the time. the severity of it comes and goes but it is always there. it got terrible as soon as my last child was born in 2004. I was 39 and it was not an easy pregnancy by any means but the strange thing was, just as they were cleaning my son up and weighing him i suddenly had a burning sensation in my left leg, just above my knee..to the outside of my leg..i immediatly told my doctor . it remained numb..not tingly..numb in that spot for about a year and then the same thing started to happen in my Right leg! same spot but other leg.?? then in my upper back, shoulder and neck all on the left side. Now, since 2007, it is travelling to my right side, like my leg did but not very badly ..yet. but in seems to have somehow 'crossed' and now affects the Right side of my head!! My eyes hurt enough to make me physically ill and dizzy at times. my right eye is the worst it seems, and i have a bad sudden pain coming from the back of my eyeball. being on this computer hurts my eyes so im never here for long. my lower back hurts, this could be from a work injury during a patient transfer but i would assume it would have gotten better by now because its almost been a year since the incident...thus, WSIB has ended my claim because they believe my symptoms are more of a systemic nature and they put me on med leave right away. HOWEVER.....they could be absolutly right. my sciatic nerve is a killer so i am careful of how i walk at all times and my toes and lower legs are numb and tingly all the time...comes and goes in severity but nevertheless, it is still there. i see double! not always, thank goodness, but sometimes it has me blinking alot..or someone face is totally distorted. it makes me feel a little 'seasick' at times. also blurry , foggy and one day i couldnt even see anything straight ahead in my vision!. it scared me so i picked up a book and looked at the pages and i couldnt see a damn thing when looking straight at the word i was trying to read. i could see the words outside of the 'blank spot' but anything straight on simply disappeared. not black either..a beige color...empty, like a veil but only over the centre of vision. does that make sense? my nerves twitch and i have to be careful when holding a cup of tea because my hand can suddenly jerk or twitch and down goes the cup. I 'wobble' a bit as well, walking can be difficult at times. my legs seem a little stiff from trying to fight it all and keep me balanced. like i said last week...in one day i lost my footing 4 times, fell once, caught myself on another . i get exhausted from all of this...going back to work is definitly not an option for me right now.
now im an "older" single mom who is soon going to be ending medical employment benefits in a few weeks and my doctor is trying everything to get me to "forget about it". ..and thats putting it nicely. i have to actually confront him to do any testing. something is definitly WRONG!!! i dont care what it is anymore, but whatever it is, I dont want it to get any worse. Obviously this is spreading so if there is something that can be done to try to put it at rest while they try to figure out what it is would be something to consider. If whatever it is could be 'slowed down' then thats what i want to know. I have a five year old little boy and a 16 yr old son as well. i need to be the best i can be for them. its been a little rough lately .
I have a CT scan in Peterbourough in early Feb. we'll see what happens next. ...Terri

Old 07-24-2010, 11:06 AM   #14
(female)

IveBecomeSoNumb HB User
Smile Re: Scared...Please help me.

First off... Hello.. I just found your thread & I hope that you have found the answer to what is wrong..

Secondly.. Here's my back story..

I walked down the stairs and almost fell down them one night, my feet kept going right out from under neath me which I just blew off as being clumsy. Though now that I'm thinking back on everything, I never really was the clumsy type... maybe after a few drinks but I don't do that anymore. So a few weeks past and I notice my last three toes are numb and there is no reason for them to be. I tell my boyfriend, he blows it off to a pinched nerve and so do I.. I then start work at Target & wake up one morning and my right hand is numb.. I think wow this weird but prob slept on it wrong. I go about my week and eventually it goes away but only to be followed by the shock of taking a hot shower & then my scalp goes numb. I freaked out at that point.. It hurt to even brush my hair. A few weeks it goes away.. I will admit at this point I was way scared but didn't have the money to afford a ER visit so I thought maybe it would go away.. Next I started having shooting pains in my right arm followed with a dull ache whenever I would move it and at this point.. I had had enough and went to the ER. They said it was nothing and that it was prob just fatty build up in the tissue.. or something like that.. So I go home and think nothing of it.. Summer comes and I start noticing the heat effects me pretty bad now.. I've never liked the heat but it never made me feel sick to my stomach or cause me to stumble around like a sloshed drunken fool like I was on my walking home from work. I was waiting to hear a cop pull up behind me and pop out going .. Ma'am have you been drinking tonight.. lol.. So.. onwards I go home and forget about it and blow it off to being tired. Then the really scary thing happens.. My entire body went numb.. From the tips of my toes to right above my breast. Everything except my head and arms.. EVERYTHING else went .. *Very embarrassing but even my girly parts and my bum*.. I told my boyfriend and he seemed a little shocked and scared but blew it off to me sleeping wrong on the couch. Well two days go by and no longer can I wear clothes because it feels like someone made a suit of armor out of brillo pads for me to wear. My feet were dragging and felt like a ton to lift. (I had to work like this for three weeks 6 days a week.. horrid I must tell ya) So.. finally after day 4, I said no there is majorly something wrong.. I go to the ER.. and they are dumbfounded and even admitted it.. Said they had no idea and that they wanted to send me to a Neurologist after taking 3 tubes of my blood and finding no infection and all was completely normal in it. Scanned it for everything under the sun and nothing showed up. It took about a month to get into my neurologist and my body numbness disappeared 3 weeks after seeing the neurologist but only to be followed back by a weird sensation (Which I found out when I seen my neurologist, it's called electro shock or pulse) that would shoot down my spine to the tips of my toes when I would bend my neck down.. Never up or side to side just down. I also started having urinary urgency or UI which turned to Bowel Urgency and BI .. So.. I go to my neurologist.. Explain everything here and his face goes white.. To say the least a week later I have a MRI date & someone that would be willing to help me even with my lack of health insurances. The only thing out of his mouth when I asked him why I needed to go for the MRI was.. MS.

Where I'm at now:

I'm scheduled for my MRI on August 13th and then go back to my neurologist on the 27th. He is breaking my MRI and MRI on my spinal cord into two parts so that I won't be overwhelmed with bills and so that he can still see me even with them.

Since the neurologist appointment:

I have noticed more and more I'm getting forgetful, I drop things a million times over and get so frustrated. Someone will tell me something and five minutes later I can't recall it. I can't get enough sleep and my headaches never leave. I have had a headache almost every day and they last for 3-7 days only to disappear and reappear. Bright lights sometimes triggers them but not as much as smell. Traveling in the car makes me nausea and dizzy. I've been having way more dizzy spells then I have ever had in my life. lol. And I am starting to have tingling on just the right side of my head. Sooooo

Don't give up... It's not all in your head believe me.. Everyone kept telling me that until I went to the neurologist and my boyfriend heard from his lips all the things that I was saying had names. I will never forget his face.. He looked at me like omg.. I'm soo sorry. Everyone will brush it off because some of the symptoms you and I both have experienced are bizarre and not many people experience them like we have. Hang in there.. and keep us updated ..

Closed Thread