It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2011, 10:36 AM   #1
(female)

devi01 HB User
4th time lucky...

Okay, I need some opinions.
But here's the story first;

I'm a 19 year old female. I'm quite fit. And I have Bell's Palsy now for the 4th time. I had it when I was 7, 9 and 12 before this time.
I know for a fact it's Bell's, because first of all, I can see it and the doctor confirmed it (who's the best on the subject around where I'm from).

So I went for tests this week, and as it turns out, a person gets Bell's Palsy if you're really unlucky, twice, even if you're very, very unlucky, so I'm lucky with being unlucky? Anyhow, we found it strange that I got this for the 4th time.

After millions of tests, it turns out that HLA B27 is some sort of a cause of this? I understand what the doctor meant, but I'm not a doctor, I can't find a way to explain it to other people now.

And might I add, that now after being stuck with this for 2 weeks about already, all the pain I had in the beginning is coming back. What works for the pain?

I just want to know what other people think.
I'm also diagnosed with arthritis, and we always thought HLA B27 is some sort of an arthritis?

Anyone else know of someone who's had it more times than is usual? Or anything at all?

Old 03-10-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User
Re: 4th time lucky...

Quote:
Originally Posted by devi01 View Post
Okay, I need some opinions.
But here's the story first;

I'm a 19 year old female. I'm quite fit. And I have Bell's Palsy now for the 4th time. I had it when I was 7, 9 and 12 before this time.
I know for a fact it's Bell's, because first of all, I can see it and the doctor confirmed it (who's the best on the subject around where I'm from).

So I went for tests this week, and as it turns out, a person gets Bell's Palsy if you're really unlucky, twice, even if you're very, very unlucky, so I'm lucky with being unlucky? Anyhow, we found it strange that I got this for the 4th time.

After millions of tests, it turns out that HLA B27 is some sort of a cause of this? I understand what the doctor meant, but I'm not a doctor, I can't find a way to explain it to other people now.

And might I add, that now after being stuck with this for 2 weeks about already, all the pain I had in the beginning is coming back. What works for the pain?

I just want to know what other people think.
I'm also diagnosed with arthritis, and we always thought HLA B27 is some sort of an arthritis?

Anyone else know of someone who's had it more times than is usual? Or anything at all?
I have known people who had a Bell's Palsy once but never 4 episodes. Perhaps you hold a record! HLA B27 is an antigen and tends to show up with people with inflammatory disease. It may also show you have inflammation somewhere and with Bells Palsy in the facial nerve. The hole where the nerve comes through from the skull is a perfect fit for the nerve.This means if the nerve gets inflammed it enlarges and gets squeezed and stops the conduction and your face could droop. My worry would be that you could have an episode that would permanently damage the nerve. Ask your doc what immediate steps you can take to stop the inflammation if this condition comes upon you agin.
James.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2011, 08:50 AM   #3
(female)

Nicole26 HB User

I am sorry for all your "luck" you have been having. I had bells palsy when I was about 14. It lasted a couple months and passed. I still have a slight droop in the eye of the side that was affected. But the doctors told us there was a very slim chance of this reoccurring. And so far it has not. I also have a friend that got it and his never went completely away. I hope you can get all this figured out and get back to normal. I am sending you good luck! :-)

Old 03-25-2011, 09:08 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

Have you been checked for Lyme disease? Bell's palsy is one symptom as well as athritic pain. Just a thought.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:13 PM   #5
(female)

MrsBell HB User

I've had Bell's Palsy thrice now. They've tested me for MS and various other diseases. Nothing came out positive. I've been lucky enough to have it in rapid succession all within 13 months and on both sides. I am always ready for it to come back. Chicago's best neurologist, confirmed it every time. He was astounded.

Are you also prone to cold sores? Did you have the chicken pox? I'm wondering if you, like myself, have the varicella-zoster virus that lies dormant.

I find that gently massaging my face with the Bell's helped with the droopy side effects with help from a good physical therapist.

The following user gives a hug of support to MrsBell:
lgoroza (06-08-2011)
Old 03-19-2012, 07:32 AM   #6
(male)

abhishek7 HB User

dear,
i also have 4th times........& i think its our bad luck

Old 08-15-2012, 06:21 PM   #7
(male)

robnchest HB User

Yes, I have had it more than 10 times and have it again now. I have had several test, but they point to nothing other than Bells Palsy. I am now looking into surgery!

Old 01-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #8
(female)

Bellepal HB User

i've had it 3 times :/ first when i was 11 on both sides then twice within a year!!!!!!!! i've never experienced any pain with it though just the obvious lack of facial movement -_- could it be anything else???

Old 09-06-2013, 09:30 PM   #9
(female)

deblucas HB User

I have had it 3 times. Once 13 yrs ago, just the hanging muscles hurt. Then 2 yrs after that, caught it in time and face did not drop all the way. I can tell when brushing my teeth, when I spit it out, it went in a different direction, lets just say not normal. Then two yrs ago, I noticed my eyebrow was lower. So instead of going to emergency room because it was Sat, I waited and then Monday it dropped all the way. But this time, it hurt really bad. And I mean really bad. The pain came from the lower back of my ear all the way to the front by my jaw. Then the pain would shoot up above my ear and had the worst head ache. I would of traded it for a toothache in a heartbeat. That is how bad it was.

Once they started me on aclovore and the steroids it took about 7 days to get back. Since the last time of getting, every behind the ear neck pain I get, scares me.So I know they say it is not normal to get more than once, and my new doctor said it was impossible. Needless to say, I fired him. I know it happened and read forums to where this happens more often than the doctors think. So hang in there, there are more of us out here going through the same thing,.

Reply Reply