It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
(female)

Lolsy HB User
Bells palsy shock

Hi

I'm struggling to come to terms with having Bells Palsy.
I let myself get too run down. Started with shingles 7 months
ago, then a chest infection which supposedly reactivated the virus, causing this. The doctors gave me steroids, and facial exercises. I'm scared. How do people accept and cope with this? I don't feel like im the same person anymore- half my face gone.

I have complete facial paralysis on the left, 4 days in, unable to blink or close eye. Muscles aching and sore. Why has noone really heard of this condition?

Old 11-10-2011, 06:50 AM   #2
(female)

janado HB User
Re: Bells palsy shock

If you're only 4 days in, give it time!!!You will get at least some movement back, no one can tell you how much or when, but you have to be patient. Be careful with the exercises, Don't over do them, especially at the beginning. Give yourself time to heal, rest and recuperate. Bell's is a reminder that we've over done it. So take the time you need without guilt!

Jan
3 time survivor of Bell's Palsy!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
(female)

California Ann HB User
Smile Re: Bells palsy shock

I had bells palsy at the age of 45. Of course it hit about 4 pm on a Friday afternoon and my pc dr was out of town. I got on the internet and did all the research I could and did everything that I could. I stood in front of the mirror for hours trying to do the facial exercises, compresses, tried to use straws. I did it all from the very minute I felt the symptoms. The only thing I wouldn't do was steriods because by the time I went to my dr it had already been 4 days and i was doing all I could. It is now 11 years later and I don't even remember what side I had it on. Don't give up it might take a while but you should improve.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:58 AM   #4
(female)

redcaboose1708 HB User

I had Bell's last year, I was discouraged, thinking I was going to have to deal with this illness for at least 20 weeks.
Then, I went back to online and found a Chiropractor who told about doing exercises several times per day.
I cured my Bell's Palsy withint 4 weeks....no symptoms left at all.
I disagree with the comment that you might be over-doing the exercises. Each time I would go into the bathroom, after washing my hands I would stand in front of the mirror and say my ABC's( make you use your muscles ( mouth ) extensively while doing this )
I then would do the Chiropractor's facial exercises, taking my thumb & index finger of my right HAND, starting at the top of My EYEBROW, and working down towards the back of my ear, pinching my skin from the top of my Eye BROW to the back of my ear.
Make NO MISTAKE....my BELL's PALSY was severe. I couldn't drink anything, and even using a straw was difficult.
You need to make sure that you tape your eye shut at night, ( make sure you use either eye drops perscribed by your Doctor, or there is ointment you can get over the counter at your local pharmacy ( I really perferred the ointment at night )
While at home those first 2-3 weeks, I would tape my eye shut, as it felt better.
Again, I can not stress the pinching exercises enough. IF you didn't know me prior to the diagnosis of Bell's Palsy, you would never know I had had it in April of 2011.
I also did not take the medication that was offered. I didn't think it was something I needed to do, and the Dr. agreed with me.

IF you have any other questions, don't be afraid to ask...BUT DO DO those pinching excercises EACH time you think of it, or when going to the bathroom ( I think I actually did these exercises 8-10 times per day, and I also would wake myself up every couple of hours to do the exercises, and go back to sleep.

Last edited by Administrator; 12-02-2011 at 12:53 AM.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:32 AM   #5
(male)

artemisthegreat HB User

Lolsy, I know it's difficult, but please remember most people recover within a few months. Also, count your blessings that this isn't something permanent like stroke, where your arms and legs are affected by paralysis!

Best of luck to you!

Old 02-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #6
(female)

redcaboose1708 HB User

I think that most people who are dx'ed with Bell's Palsy really don't believe that tthis condition will get better within time. I was amazed at the progress I made.....I was completely "CURED" as I mentioned within 4 weeks......to the amazed of my Primary Dr. ! Must tell you it's going to be 4 months at best,and I didn't take the steriods either...just did the exercises I found online that a Chiropractor did online ...OF course I will admit I probably was accessive about the exercises ! Everytime I went to the bathroom after washing my hands,( I also said the ABC's as well as the hand exercises ) I stood in front of the mirror and did the exercising using my hand.....from the top of my head, to my lower neck.....then repeated the ABC's
I am proud to say that it worked, and I think anyone that does those excercises in access as I did, will see IMMEDIATE RESULTS.....

Last edited by redcaboose1708; 02-07-2012 at 09:00 AM.

Closed Thread