It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2011, 12:26 PM   #1
(female)

StayGolden HB User
Question Can this be Bell's Palsy?

Hi,
I have posted on a few boards but I also wanted to post here because my doctor did mention something about Bell's as well as maybe MS. So trying to rule these out.

First I experienced a headache that lasted for about 2 weeks straight it was a weird temple achy pain but not severe. It was different from a norm headache. After that I developed scalp numbness followed by left face numbness which included half my lip which felt like novacaine numb by dentist feeling,as well as left arm was numb at same time but don't know if it is related to face. After the numbness subsided after a day then the twitching in my face started..I had twitches in my cheek,nostrils,lip, jaw line.
Also symptoms are inner ear pain which feels like a ear infection but with no infection and feels like it is spasming and tight. Does this sound like Bell's Palsy? Has anyone had these symptoms or any of them being diagnosed ith Bell's Palsy and not MS or anything? Please help.Thank you.

Last edited by StayGolden; 12-15-2011 at 12:26 PM.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:37 PM   #2
(male)

chasman08 HB User
Re: Can this be Bell's Palsy?

I had Bells at one time. I couldn't drink without getting it all over me. I could not close one eye and it watered. I went to a neurologist and he had me do a simple test. He had me to try to hold as much air in my cheeks as possible. If you can't hold any, then he said it was Bells palsy. It's about a month recovery period. You will probably be given steroid injections.

The Following User Says Thank You to chasman08 For This Useful Post:
StayGolden (01-12-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

deeannek HB User

I had what was diagnosed as Bell's Palsy in July 2010. The night before I had a terrible pain behind my right ear and before bed I told my hubby, I think I have an ear infection and I probably better call the doctor. Woke up the next morning went down for my am cigarette (I know smoking bad) anyway I kept trying to light my cigarette but it just kept going out. So I thought it was broken got another same thing. For some reason I looked in the mirror and saw that the right side of my face-my mouth was way over on the right. I looked like a Picasso. Long story short. My hubby freaked out and made me go to the ER even though I was sure I didn't have a stroke. Also I couldn't talk or eat anything and had to use a straw to drink. When I did talk I sounded like a drunk-got hung up on twice trying to call the doctor's office! So all the mouth stuff you report sounds right . But as far as I have been told that it only involves the face. I have been recently diagnosed with myasthenia gravis after having another Bell's Palsy attack. But that is very rare so...doesn't mean anything for you. I hope you are on steroids and antibiotics or you could have permanent damage.
If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Isn't Bell's Palsy just the craziest thing?
Good Luck,
Dee

The Following User Says Thank You to deeannek For This Useful Post:
StayGolden (01-12-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
(male)

Harry504 HB User

I currently have Bell's Palsy (day 11) and after the first couple hours of tingling sensation I have been able to feel everything fine. The problem is the muscles just don't respond on the left side of my face. Everything, left side of lips, left eye (wont blink on its own and almost impossible to shut without help) my left check is non responsive, the left side of my nose would not respond and my forehead on the left side wouldn't move. Now I am starting to get some very minor movement in the forehead and check, but my smile still looks terrible and eye still wont come close to blinking on it's own. I didn't experience any other lose of muscle use anywhere else except to my face. Before the symptoms started I had a mild head ache for 3 days in the same spot behind the left side of my ear. Hope that helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to Harry504 For This Useful Post:
StayGolden (01-12-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #5
(female)

mramirea HB User

Doesn't sound like Bell's Palsey. You should see a doctor. Bell's only affects you face. The problem is in your neck area. Which usually cause a headache feeling, but is your neck hurting. It doesn't affect any other part of your body. I never heard of anyone having twitches with it. But then I had never heard of it when I was diagnosed. The paralysis on the left side of my face was gone within a few of days and was back to normal in 2 weeks. I've read that it can be much worse and longer lasting than when I had it. You may be only having a muscle spasm which can be caused by stress. I've had something similar in the past when I am very stressed. Once I relax it goes away. Good luck

Old 02-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Bell's Palsey can be a symptom of Lyme's disease. The people on the Lyme boards may have more info for you.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
(male)

Harry504 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mramirea View Post
Doesn't sound like Bell's Palsey. You should see a doctor. Bell's only affects you face. The problem is in your neck area. Which usually cause a headache feeling, but is your neck hurting. It doesn't affect any other part of your body. I never heard of anyone having twitches with it. But then I had never heard of it when I was diagnosed. The paralysis on the left side of my face was gone within a few of days and was back to normal in 2 weeks. I've read that it can be much worse and longer lasting than when I had it. You may be only having a muscle spasm which can be caused by stress. I've had something similar in the past when I am very stressed. Once I relax it goes away. Good luck
I couldn't move an inch on my left side of my face for about 6-7 days after I first got it. Then, very very very slowly I was able to start to have movement in my cheek. I am now going on 34 days since I first got it and I have about 25-30% movement back. It's moving slow, at this rate im guessing it's going to take me 2-3 months before I get back to normal.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:11 PM   #8
(female)

mramirea HB User

It could take you longer than that. You should have never waited. It's still not to late you shold go to the doctor. Anything that stops the movement of any part of your body should be taken seriously. Every type of illness effects people on different levels, different severities. This could get better and come back on you in a few months even worse. Don't play with your life, go to the doctor and know for sure. Good luck.!

Closed Thread