It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
(female)

scoobylou22 HB User
tingling and strange sensations in my face so worried

Hi everyone,
About 2 months ago I started with a slight tickling sensation just under my left eye after about 2 weeks it progressed into a tingling sensation down the whole left cheek but mainly around my cheek bone area and outside corner of my eye, this happends everyday in varying degrees sometimes I only have it 5 or 6 times and its only mild but it can be countless times a day. The attacks last only a few seconds and it kind of feels like burning tingling, its not painful just annoying almost like when you scratch yourself and its like a very mild stinging feeling. Sometimes it feels like a tear is running down my face or a feather is attached to my eye lashes and it tickled my cheekbone when I blink. I've been backwards and forwards to the doctors and they arnt sure what it is they asume its some kind of neuralgia type thing. I'm being referred to a neurologist and waiting for my appointment to come through which I have been told could take a few weeks. The problem is I'm starting to have slight tingling on my right side of my face also and I'm absolutely terrified I might have something really serious wrong with me. Does any of these symptoms sound familier? Is it possible to have bells pausy without weakness?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2012, 10:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User
Re: tingling and strange sensations in my face so worried

hi -- don't want to be one of the viewers who didn't reply. I had Bells Palsy very young which is very unusual (age three), but had very classic symptoms: extreme one-sided weakness to the point food would dribble from my mouth. I have no memory of the condition, but do remember my mom telling me I was allergic to the sun. I think she didn't want me to go outside for fear I would get teased.

From my understanding, Bells Palsy is typically caused by inflammation of the nerves where they enter the facial area. Typical treatment is a short course of steroids. Have you been treated at all? Maybe your doctor could prescribe the steroids while you are awaiting your appointment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
(female)

scoobylou22 HB User

Hi thanks for your reply I have recently been refered to a neurologist, he did a basic neurological exam which didn't indicate any problems. I did a range of tests like walking in a straight line, touching my nose and he spent a lot of time proding me with pins all over my body to see if I could feel it etc. Im waiting for an appointment for an MRI scan at the moment. I will keep you informed on what they find

Old 03-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
(male)

muzzfactor HB User

Hello, I think I am beginning to get the same thing. I keep getting a sensation like a tear is running out of my left eye and onto my cheek but nothing is ever there. It has started to worry me little. Let me know what you find out. Good Luck!

Old 03-25-2012, 07:22 AM   #5
(female)

Jacy56 HB UserJacy56 HB User

I had bells palsy but it came on very suddenly. Started with numbness on the right side of my face. Progressed quickly -slurred speech,drooping mouth. Thought I was having a stroke even tho I was just 40 at the time. Now 15 years later I am experiencing tingling in face and temples. Had MRI and normal. Neck MRI showed bulging discs in neck. Physical therapy helped but I still get the tingling daily. The doctors are not too concerned but it is very annoying.
Good luck with the MRI. Let us know how it went.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jacy56 For This Useful Post:
scoobylou22 (03-27-2012)
Old 03-27-2012, 07:03 AM   #6
(female)

scoobylou22 HB User

Thank you for replying Muzzfactor are you still having these symptoms or was it just a one off? I havnt got anymore information yet im still in limbo. My MRI scan is on Friday and I have to go to the docs for some more bloods but I will keep you informed. If your still having the strange sensations I recommend going to your GP and set the ball rolling because the whole diagnosis process seems to be taking ages

Old 03-27-2012, 07:07 AM   #7
(male)

muzzfactor HB User

Hello scoobylou22, last week it was very consistent, happening multiple times during the day, but this week it has become for sporatic, only a few times so far this week. Please keep me informed and I will keep you in my prayers.

The following user gives a hug of support to muzzfactor:
scoobylou22 (03-27-2012)
Old 03-27-2012, 07:17 AM   #8
(female)

scoobylou22 HB User

Thanks Jacy I was wondering if it could be a problem with my neck also as a few months ago I stupidly decided I was going to attempt a shoulder stand when I hadn't done one for 10 years. Thinking back it was about the time all this started. I will keep you informed its nice to know I'm not the only person with a tingly face :-)

Old 03-27-2012, 07:23 AM   #9
(female)

scoobylou22 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzfactor View Post
Hello scoobylou22, last week it was very consistent, happening multiple times during the day, but this week it has become for sporatic, only a few times so far this week. Please keep me informed and I will keep you in my prayers.
The fact that yours has improved is a good thing hopefully it might just go away in a week or so. You should go to the docs though just to be safe. Any strange sensations need to be investigated :-)

Old 04-16-2012, 04:13 AM   #10
(female)

scoobylou22 HB User

well its been 4 months since onset of symptoms and im still in the dark as to what is wrong. I have been for 2 MRI scans and still havnt got any results back i got a letter 3 days after the first scan saying the doctor wants some more images and i freaked out thinking they must have found something bad but when i rang up they just said that they hadnt got a clear view of what they wanted to look at and not to worry. I suppose if they had of found something i would have been contacted...i hope so anyway!

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: scoobylou22
Jacy56 (04-17-2012), SweetPeainSF (04-17-2012)
Old 05-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #11
(female)

scoobylou22 HB User

It's now been 5 months both MRI scans clear, waiting for a follow up neuro appointment. Symptoms have improved quite a lot and the tingling has now just gone back to a ticking sensation on my left cheek at the worst a slight buzzing sensation but all the other tingling on the other side has completely gone

Old 05-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #12
(female)

Jacy56 HB UserJacy56 HB User

Glad to hear of your progress. I am still tingling but not as much as before. Less anxiety also helps.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #13
(male)

Wellensmurf HB User

I have had the same thing happen, seen doctors, MRI, and they say they can not find anything wrong.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wellensmurf For This Useful Post:
scoobylou22 (05-23-2012)
Old 05-23-2012, 02:28 AM   #14
(female)

scoobylou22 HB User

thank you wellensmurf im glad to know im not the only one going through this but obviously im sorry that you are because its awful not knowing. I was so relieved when i recieved the letter from the nurologist saying they found no leisions and the scan was normal, but at the same time i wish they could just give me a simple diagnosis like oh yeah its a pinched nerve it will go away in 6 months etc. Without a diagnosis i feel that until this completly goes away or they find something im just in limbo not knowing. I keep thinking that maybe its the early symptoms of somthing bad but its not advanced enough to show up on scans yet but then i have to tell myself off for being so negative. I had a rubbish night last night coz my face seems to have taken a step backwards again it was nearly better but now some of it has come back :-(

Last edited by scoobylou22; 05-23-2012 at 02:30 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to scoobylou22:
SweetPeainSF (05-23-2012)
Old 07-18-2012, 02:10 AM   #15
(female)

scoobylou22 HB User

I have decided to update this post mainly just to help other people who may be experiencing the same thing, I have not found any answers for this problem anywhere, there seems to be plenty of threads posted on facial tingling but nobody ever comes back with what they were diagnosed with or if they ever got better.

7 months on- symptoms of the facial tingling HAD almost completely gone until last night they started up again, I have no words to describe how frustrated and peed off I am right now!!! It's not as bad as when it first started but its still back! I'm now thinking this could be allergy related as my toncills are also infected and swollen today. I'm going to the doctors the day after tomoz to moan at them again lol

The following user gives a hug of support to scoobylou22:
SweetPeainSF (07-19-2012)
Closed Thread