It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2012, 02:21 AM   #1
(female)

dlcohen04 HB User
story

I get home and I am sitting in my living room talking to my roomate for about an hour. As we are talking I start to notice I am talking out of the side of my mouth and everything feels really dry. I decide to go look at myself in the mirror at this point. I realize that my smile just isn't right and I am having trouble winking my eye. My nostril won't flare on one side and I also can't scrunch one side of my nose. I begin freaking out and luckily my doctor is able to see me on a Saturday.

The doctor tells me I have Bell's Palsy and its a good thing I realized it right away. The sooner you realize you have it the easier it is to control at the beginning.

Luckily I never had it too terribly. Laughing was weird...I had to cover my mouth when I laughed because it was way off. My right side would smile real big and the left would be a tiny smile. I couldn't pucker my lips, it was like a crooked pucker. Eating was difficult and if I chewed on my left side all the food would get stuck over there! I couldn't blow up my cheeks with air. I couldn't raise my eyebrows evenly. It was hard to drink without it spilling out of my mouth.

The progress: So I noticed it the night of July 27th and the 28th was when I really knew there was something wrong. The week prior I noticed a weird sensation in my eye and food wasn't tasting right. This is because you can lose 2/3rds of your taste buds with BP. Today is August 9 so it has been just about two weeks in. I have good news! I am almost all better. I can laugh like regular again without it getting all out of control. I can eat and drink almost normally except still dont want to chew too much at once on the left. I can almost flare my nostril all the way and my nose can almost scrunch all the way on the left side. When I pucker my lips its not a perfect pucker but getting close. The bottom line is that at the moment I am really the only person who can notice these slight differences. No one else can tell at all. I am hoping I will go back 100%...right now I would say im at like 90% Super close to being all better.

My face is sore by the way. It is tender to the touch on the left side. And my eye is a little sensitive to the sun, I just make sure I wear sunglasses outside because I just started squinting like crazy if sun gets in my left eye, but even that is not as bad as it was.

So here I am, two weeks in, and almost 100% recovered. I have come a long way in these two weeks and I was so scared at the beginning. I write this just to let you guys know that not every case lasts a super long time and things do get better. I read that you can get it more than once and that scares me. All I can do is try to stay as healthy as possible.

i wish everyone the best of luck and please if you have any questions about my experience feel free to ask me. I have spent the past two weeks learning about this so I feel like I know almost everything you could know about this!

Last edited by dlcohen04; 08-21-2012 at 01:22 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

« Bells Palsy | teena »