HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Bell's Palsy (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/bells-palsy/)
-   -   One month so far (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/bells-palsy/924523-one-month-so-far.html)

junebug 10-24-2012 03:36 PM

One month so far

I just really need some support even some advice. I have been severely depressed since waking up with a paralyzed face on the left side. After a week of severe pain in my neck and behind my ear I finally went to the dr (i never go to doctors and i don't have insurance) He took one look at me and said it was Bell's Palsy and seemed irritated I waited a week to go see him. I took the anti viral meds and steroids and the pain went right away. I noticed my eyelid slowly move following the meds, but it is still dry and does not shut all the way, sensitive to noise, droopy mouth an slurred speech plus no taste on that side. I keep hearing that it will go away but when exactly? That is the frustrating part, it is like a waiting game. I don't want to leave the house, I get anxiety when I do and end up in tears. I have no energy or motivation and I just lay around watching tv trying to forget what's going on. The meds messed up my system my skin is broken out, feel bloated and puffy, and caused some digestive issues. I'm 29 and I think fairly healthy so I am trying to hope for the best (under 3 months.) It's really hard to stay positive when I feel so down and hopeless, just not feeling positive. I don't know how people go on with life for so long with this condition. Is it necessary to go to a neurologist? Maybe try acupuncture? Someone said I should get tested for lyme disease. I'm just very scared and want to return to life again. Do I just wait it out and hope for the best? Anything would help at this point.

junebug 10-30-2012 06:03 PM

Re: One month so far

Update: It's now been 5 weeks since I woke up with my left side paralyzed. I can now slowly close my eye and I haven't had the pain return since taking the meds. I still cannot move my eyebrow or smile. I just want to cry. I went to another dr. today for a second opinion and advice, but again there is nothing to do. He said to do some face exercises, wait it out as he said it was temporary (is it??) But what about the emotional aspect of it? I've been full on depressed, which I know is a counterproductive, but I can't help it. I cannot seem to pull myself out of this funk. I have anxiety about leaving the house, I just want to be alone watching tv all day. Anyone else experiencing this? I have never been so down before. Please help!

PitStop43 11-01-2012 03:07 PM

It saddens me Junebug, that you are going through this. I was 8 or 9 when I started see my drs. My diagnosis is more than bells. I have permenant facial paralysis. It's awful feeling alone not sharing yourself with others. I've been there. I would walk with my head down. Kept myself only to a few friends. I did have surgery to correct my eyelid and smile. But without my family I couldn't have made it. There has been studies done. But each person is different and the effects and duration are not on our timeline. Be strong find family and friends to help cope. You can be better than your face looks. It sound weird, but 1 thing that helps me is looking at pictures of people who faces have been burned. They have a much harder challage ahead of them than I do.
Peace be with you.:angel:

problems101 11-01-2012 11:13 PM

I had bells palsy also and it lasted for two months and then it was completely better. It was a very scary time. I think it will eventually go away... but might take a little bit of time. I think the sooner you get on medication the sooner it goes away. Because you waited a week it might take a little longer but I think in most cases it goes back to normal. I totally feel for you :( I know it's hard but try to get your mind off it by keeping yourself busy. Try not to read too many things on the internet it will just worry you more. Try to stay positive in this difficult time. Things will get better :)

junebug 11-11-2012 10:50 AM

Thanks so much. Feel better knowing that somehow. I am going on 7 weeks but hoping for the best.

lalea878 11-13-2012 09:03 PM

I also had Bells palsy many moons ago...like 20 yrs! It scared the stew outta me! I googled it and found out 1% of the time it is caused by a virus, and 99% of the time by a pinched nerve. I have chronic neck issues and went to a few different doctors, they told me it would either stay the same or get better, told me there was no treatment. I went to my chiropractor who said he could help and it was totally gone in less than 3 weeks with 2 x a week adjustments. Perhaps I woulda totally recovered anyway...dunno..but i could not sit there and do nothing! Good luck to you!

lalea878 11-13-2012 09:09 PM

I do feel your pain! Disfiguring to say the least! Soap in my eyes when washing my hair, sleeping was tough cos i had to worry about my eye drying out since it woulnt close all the way..a crooked smile...ugh. Neck issues preceded mine as well...good luck to u. This happened like 15 or 20 yrs ago to me...freaked me out when I woke up to brush my teeth! I am completely recovered with no trace of the palsy. I saw a chiropractor. Then again, we r all different, and this clears up on its own for many! I will keep u in my prayers (:

mrhorton 12-07-2012 10:18 AM

i actually know the awsome answer to this ! i woke up the same way as you my friend when i was younger and it freaked me out .GET YOURSELF TO A CHIROPRACTOR !!!!!! bells palsy is caused by a pinched nerve that cuts off fuctions to you face . i know its horrible and im sorry this happened but get to a good chiropractor and in a month youll see i was right !!!!

junebug 12-07-2012 10:27 AM

I am not so sure about this actually. Before the bells palsy I had pain in my neck for a few days and went to a chiropractor for the pain, then the next day I woke up with bell's palsy and first thought it was from the adjustment. I went another time but stopped going, maybe I should have just kept going? I was scared it was doing more harm then good.

BP UPDATE: its been 2.5 months now but I am slowly getting better, I hope it goes away very soon. I still cannot blink or smile. I am trying acupuncture now (5 sessions so far) but I don't know how much it is helping. Has anyone tried this? I wish there was more information to help this get better besides just facial massage and exercises. I really feel for anyone going through such a hard time with this!

mrhorton 12-07-2012 10:30 AM

i had this also ,and your doc is a moron ! i know how imbarrassing it is . but i have awsome news ! get to a good chiropractor !! bells is caused by a pinched nerve in your neck area of your spine .( i replyed but dont know if it went thru ) so dont dispare to much ! and keep you head up ! LITTERALY . when i had it , it took my chiropractor almost a month to get me back to normal . i was a bartender at the time so you can imagine my imbarassment !! and ... once you back to normal youll have some facial twitching for a couple of weeks . dont freak it will all go away ! i hope this help[s you !!

mrhorton 12-07-2012 10:34 AM

i understand the frustration !!! mine got worse too its a healing proses !! but i promise a chiropractor is the cure !!!! sorry about the double responce im new to this page !

mrhorton 12-07-2012 10:41 AM

2.5 months is too long to go w,out use of facial muscles dear , and not smiling will get to a persons heart !!!!! stop with the pins and needles ! and get to a reputable chiropractor !!!!!!!i dont know anything about acupuncter or accupresure ! but i do know for a fact !!!! chiropractics is the way to go for this dear !!!!!get your smile back !!!!!!

Bellepal 01-04-2013 02:29 PM

between the age of 11 and 16 i've had bells palsy 3 times....once i had it both sides too which is apparently really rare. having it during prom was the worst, i put on a dress size taking the steroids and got really depressed.....not asking for sympathy just saying yeah i know how you feel and it WILL get better, dont hide away, get out and enjoy your life like i am with it this time round, i'm no doctor but i'm convinced stress makes it worse so chill out and be with friends and family!!!!! also your mood will reflect on others....my mum was so down when i was depressed so stay strong for them at least!!!!

fingerlakesmom 01-04-2013 06:49 PM

I got BP for the second time on Aug. 21st so I'm 4.5 months in and I feel your pain. Just make sure that you are using your eye drops and try to keep away from stress. The good thing about BP is people won't ask you to do anything since we look like stroke victims!

junebug 02-08-2013 06:15 PM

I am giving another update to my original post. It has been 5 months now. I have not fully recovered but I haven't totally given up. I feel like I tried it all! What has started to help is just focusing on taking care of myself the old fashion way. What I tried; acupuncturist, chiropractor, body healers, getting massages, doing exercises, home remedies, facial steam and hot wash cloths...all that and more has helped some. What I needed was rest! I realized I hadn't slept through the night or gone to bed early in ages and my neck mas killing me so it was hard to get comfortable. When I was finally able to relax I stopped all caffeine and tea so I could get to bed before 10 and started sleeping through the night. Another factor was diet, I found from a natural doctor that I wasn't digesting and absorbing food, lacking protein and eating too acidic. I cut out all grains, sugars, carbs and eat a low glycemic diet with lots of vegetables , fruit and protein and healthy fats. I noticed a huge change in my energy level and mood. I still get upset and cry over this traumatic experience, but now at least my eye produces tears (goodbye eyedrops!) I can move my cheek a little, and some small improvements. I still tape my eye shut at night, I cannot smile, but no one really notices the paralysis. I am slowly regaining normal hearing and taste. I look and feel so much better and I am thankful for that! I hope it won't be much longer, but I expect it will still take some time to be 100% I am still shocked by this, and I fight for strength everyday. I don't know how people do this, but it has completely turned my world upside down. I really appreciate the life I had before and what I looked like. I guess this is what it means to learn lessons the hard way. Hopefully the next post will start with..I healed completely!!