It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2003, 01:46 PM   #1
(female)

Gracie_2003 HB User
Zonegran

Has anyone tried Zonegran? I would like some input if anyone has any. I just started taking 400 mg.

Thanks

Old 11-27-2003, 10:34 PM   #2

VeryOldLady HB User
Re: Zonegran

Gracie, I have tried it and I have typed out a complete list of side effects for my doctor. He ended up taking me off of it and putting me on Keppra, which is a lot better for me. But, keep in mind that different people react differently to different medicines and I'm sensitive to medicine. I won't list them here because some of them aren't on the official side effect list. But if you list your side effects, I'll let you know if I experienced it. But don't feel obligated to list them if that's not what you're trying to ask.

I am experiencing side effects with Keppra also, but the benefits outweigh the adverse effects with this one. The symptoms I do have with Keppra are tolerable, and the only disadvantage is not knowing whether the symptoms are related to the new medicine or alzheimers. I'm guessing it's the medicine since it seemed to happen as soon as I began taking it. Plus, I'm not placing things in strange places right now. I did forget I was cooking a few things today and I almost burned out the motor on my mixer because I forgot I was mashing potatoes. But, they were good potatoes, Boy! Lemmie tell you! Forgetting can sometimes be a good thing.

Last edited by VeryOldLady; 11-27-2003 at 10:35 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2003, 08:26 AM   #3
(female)

Gracie_2003 HB User

Actually, I am loving the Zonegran. I use to have horrible mood swings and they were greatly affecting my work and home relationships, now they are completely gone. I am not zombie-like, but I am just kind of living a normal life now.

I am sorry that you had bad side-effects on the Zonegran and home the Keppra is better for you.

I have not had any memory problems or anything like that.

My only side effect is weight loss which is a good thing after all the crappy meds they have had me on in the past that made me gain.

Thank you for your input and good luck to you!!!

Old 12-05-2003, 07:42 PM   #4

VeryOldLady HB User

Don't be sorry that it didn't work out for me. I'm surprised that my doctor put me on Zonegran, actually. I'm a recovering anorexic and you aren't the only person who has mentioned weight loss as a side effect. I did more googling and have noticed that they are even considering packaging it as a weight loss drug. He was going to put me on Keppra first, but they were out of samples, so he gave me Zonegran, instead. I was only on it for 6 days and in that time, I had a lot of side effects, but I didn't lose weight. But, it's possible that if I were on it longer if the side effects were not present, I may have slipped back into the anorexia. Then again, I'm on a different medicine that is helping in the Anorexia area, so the doctor probably knew something I don't, because I didn't gain. That was a pretty lengthy way of saying "what do I know?" [grin] See? If I was manic right now, I'd know more than the doctor. LOL

But, the Keppra is working great. I'm up to the dose I'm supposed to be and am stumbling around like a drunk. When I smile, my left side of my mouth twitches. But, my hands aren't shaky, and that's all I'm really concerned about. The stumbling just gives me a good excuse to sit around the house. LOL! I am leveled. I miss my mania, but I certainly don't miss my anger outbursts...and neither does my family. I think I'm still hypomanic, which is where my doctor wants me to be. He claims it's so I will continue to be creative, but between you and me, I think it's so I will continue to see him without thinking twice about spending money. If I became stable like "normal people" I would say to myself, "Hey! Wait just a second! I have to pay a copay every time I see you!" [grin] (I'm just kidding)

In the next post, I'll paste an excerpt of my zonegran diary. It's the last day's entry before I decided to stop. I was supposed to have jury duty that week after, but thankfully they "didn't need me" when I did call every day. I think the doctor called them on my behalf, but I can't be sure and I haven't asked them.

In the excerpt, I have changed a few words to protect my family's identity. Other than that, I have left all spelling errors as is. I couldn't type because my fingers wouldn't work. I couldn't think or speak well. I have some of the same symptoms with Keppra, but not nearly as extreme. And reading it has convinced me that I'm not at the beginning stages of alz because the memory problems stopped after I stopped Zonegran. So, I'm thankful you brought this us. OK, here's the excerpt:

Old 12-05-2003, 07:47 PM   #5

VeryOldLady HB User

I have been feeling depressed to the point of feeling like I don't belong and never have. I've been regretting bringing kids into this world because I can't be the mother I should be for them. I've been regretting getting married because I can't be the wife I need to be. My thinking has been flighty, rapid and manic an yet depressed. I miraculously managed to put all my clothes away tonight. I hav some puling up in the room, on the couch and in the suitcase. I wasn't overwhelmed with manic energy when I did this, yet I was able to get it done without feeling overwhelmed. I still need to clean my office area, but I'm not going to rush into anything.
I passed out tonight in the shower. I think it was the heat, but it could have been the meds, too. I think it's neen making me dizzy.
Yesterday I sleptwalked. It was in the afternoon and all I remember was waking up in the living room to my som in my face and asking me,
"should I call someone?" I woke up later that afternoon and remembered the incident and knew what happened because I've slepwalked before (although, I've never woken up in the middle of sleepwalking before).
I may actually be rapidcycling now where before I was going severla days, weeks or months in depression or mania, etc. But I don't know any more and I don't even care. I'm dropping things all the time, running to things. [Daughter] knows my last nerve is rubbed raw and she's holding a saltshaker over me. I feel stupid. I can't think of the simplist terms. I was watching tv this afternoon and totally forgot I was cooking. This is something that aty LEAST stays hovering somewhere leaving a shadow of a reminder in the back of my mind, but I had completely and totally forgotten that I was cooking. Now I have to put my wedding rings on my right hand just to be able to cook any more. I have the same feeling like waking out of a dream occasionally when I'm only thinking. I'll be thinking about something, but them I cna't remember what I was thinking about, yet I'll get "feelings" of bits and pieces about what it was as if I had just woken up. I'm more tired more often and more easily. usually I go an entire night and an still not tired by morning. Now I', tire and it's only 2:30 am. But, since I do have an appointment, I'll go to bed early so I can get some rest.
This is all I can remember right now. I had a headache earlier tonight, but I took an aspirin.

Old 12-05-2003, 07:56 PM   #6

VeryOldLady HB User

Oh, but I'm glad Zonegran is working for you. I'm sensitive to medicine, so don't read my symptoms as a measuring stick. I took this to my doctor and he removed me from Zonegran. The only real guide he seems to go by is, "Do the benefits outweigh the side effects?" In this case, Zonegran definately was not benefitial for me. But we are all different and I'm glad you are benefiting from it.

Even though the Keppra has its side effects, the benefits outweigh them and I'm hoping that they are only temporary. But even if they aren't, I can live with them. I'm willing to make a few sacrifices like stumbling, smiling with a twitch and groping for a few lost words in order to give my family a calmer mother. I may not be purdy to look at, but I'm easier to get along with. LOL!

Closed Thread