It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2003, 10:16 PM   #1

jgurl1976 HB User
Panic attack vs. Seizure

A few weeks ago I posted regarding an episode I thought was a seizure. However the more I research the more I wonder if it was a severe panic attack. I have never had a panic attack before. I felt it coming on. I got real scared, hot then cold then sweaty then I passed out. Can any one relate to this. I have read that the first panic attack is the worst. I also beleive I have had one seizure prior to this episode. It was totally different from this most recent episode that why I think this one was a panic attack & not a seizure.

Jen

Old 12-10-2003, 02:00 AM   #2

VeryOldLady HB User
Re: Panic attack vs. Seizure

My understanding is most people are unconscious during a seizure. If you're conscious, it's probably just panic, fear, etc. But, I may be wrong.
The following link posted below (a Gummit website which complies to the forum rules) will probably prove me wrong, but it has a lot of information in it:

[url]http://www.ninds.nih.gov/health_and_medical/pubs/seizures_and_epilepsy_htr.htm[/url]

I hope it helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2003, 10:20 AM   #3
Inactive

KimRick HB User

My fiance had a violent seizure last Friday night; BELIEVE me when I tell you that you'd know it if you had a siezure or not. He threw himself out of his chair, slammed his face into another chair, cracking his head open, and started convulsing on the floor. He lost consciousness somewhere in between hitting his head and convulsing and when it was over, he had NO clue of what was going on - why he was on the floor, why everyone was hovering over him and making such a fuss. It happened so fast, like a heart attack - suddenly. He couldn't remember his name, date of birth, etc. It was horrible!

Old 12-10-2003, 10:45 AM   #4
Inactive

thickman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimRick
My fiance had a violent seizure last Friday night; BELIEVE me when I tell you that you'd know it if you had a siezure or not. He threw himself out of his chair, slammed his face into another chair, cracking his head open, and started convulsing on the floor. He lost consciousness somewhere in between hitting his head and convulsing and when it was over, he had NO clue of what was going on - why he was on the floor, why everyone was hovering over him and making such a fuss. It happened so fast, like a heart attack - suddenly. He couldn't remember his name, date of birth, etc. It was horrible!
OH NO... I hope your fiance is doing better.

Old 12-10-2003, 12:10 PM   #5
Inactive

KimRick HB User

He's ok, now. The neurologist said that his brain activity was normal and said that the seizure most likely happened because of ALL the medication his doctor had him on! My fiance told him that the doctor also had him on anti-seizure medication to counteract the tremors he was having from taking all the rest of his meds (although he's NEVER had a seizure in his life) and the neurologist firmly stated that UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES is anyone who's never had a seizure supposed to be taking anti-seizure medication. If you are taking it and you've never had a seizure, once you get off of it, you're prone to having seizures! When the attending Dr. in the E.R. heard about the amount and dosage that his psych doctor had him on, she nearly had a heart attack! Her only question was, "how are you still breathing!?"

My only comment is PLEASE be careful of what & how much you take.

Old 12-10-2003, 12:20 PM   #6

PollyPrissyPants HB User

so does anyone know if neurontin is an anti seizure med?? i know its an anticonvulsant, is that the same thing?? i was on neurontin for four years for my BP and now i'm a little concerned about now being prone to seizures...actually my pdoc doesnt know i've stopped taking it but i had started having hallucinations and out of body type experiences and since i've stopped the neurontin, i havent had any....i hesitate bringing any of this to his attention because i'm in the middle of a divorce and i worry that it could be used against me if a custody issue comes up...i know there is patient/dr confidentiality but i'm worried a court could subpoena my medical records...once the divorce is done, i'll take better care of my disorder ...in the meantime, i'm just putting one foot in front of the other best i can....
PPP~~~

Old 12-10-2003, 01:23 PM   #7
Inactive

KimRick HB User

I would think that an anti-convulsant and an anti-seizure medication is the same thing . . .

Old 12-10-2003, 06:32 PM   #8

rainonwindow HB User

It is common to not lose consciousness during a seizure with certain kinds of epilepsy. The type of seizure where you don't lose consciousness is now called a simple partial seizure. The sole manifestation of this kind of seizure can simply be sudden fear. These seizures can also consist of sudden dread for no reason, laughter for no reason, objects can disort in size and shape. The seizure can also consist of deja vu, an intense sense of 'knowing', a smell etc.

I guess my point is that - yes - what appears to be a panic attack can be a seizure instead. Whether or not you lose consciousness is not an indication of whether or not you have a seizure disorder. And it is common with partial seizure to not know or be sure it was a seizure - it can simple be that you know something isn't right but don't know what it is.

I was diagnosed as bipolar for 10 years and none of the medications worked. It is clear now that the medications greatly aggravated my symptoms. What I had was not a bipolar disorder but temporal lobe epilepsy. I was diagnosed with epilepsy in my 40s but was told by the epileptologist that I have had it since childhood. I simply didn't know that the simptoms I had could be due to seizures.

Last edited by rainonwindow; 12-10-2003 at 06:34 PM.

Old 12-10-2003, 09:24 PM   #9

VeryOldLady HB User

So I was wrong about being conscious. Eh, that's what links are for. There's also a seizure (if I'm not wrong about this) that is called Narcolepsy, which causes sudden collapse when you laugh. I can't remember if the person loses consciousness or just loses muscle control. I dunno. I hope no one is taking notes.

A lot of seizure meds are distributed as mood levelers. I don't think 'leveler' is the word I'm going for, but it evens out your mood...supposedly. But, I'm not sure if it's used because they think this is a seizure disorder or if they had discovered that this levels out the moods...like a side effect being a target cure. For instance, I think Rogaine was originally used as a high blood pressure medicine, but was then discovered that men on that were comenting to their docs that it had helped them grow their hair back, so it was repackaged as a hair restoring drug (I think it was Rogaine...or a drug like that...I remember the facts, but not the specifics). Aspirin is used as a heart medication.

My doctor has told me that bipolar people should never be on antidepressants. So, if we are bipolar, and we listen to the doc who said no non-epileptic person should be on a seizure drug,...what should we take?

The point I'm trying to make is that even doctors disagree with each other. I don't have the degree to say who's right or wrong...and I've pretty much proven that I don't know a lot about the subject of siezures. I have had experience with bipolar, though. And yet, I couldn't say for sure that this isn't caused by epilepsy. I have had a lot of unexplained fainting spells in my life, and I have had a seizure a couple times in the dentist chair. So, who knows?

Last edited by VeryOldLady; 12-10-2003 at 09:42 PM.

Old 12-11-2003, 11:24 AM   #10

jgurl1976 HB User

I know for sure I had a seizure about 2 years ago. My boyfriend called EMS and everything. It was terrible. However this episode was very different though. The first episode I was VERY confused after it was over. This time I became alert very quickly and aware of most of what had happened. It makes me feel better to know Im not the only one who has some sort of spells and just to let you know anti-convulsants are the same as anti-seizure meds. I am on Klonopin which is a benzo and anti-convulsant. I did miss that moring dose but I dont think my dose is high enough to cause a seizure after only one missed dose. Thanks for all the input!!

Jen

Closed Thread