It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2004, 09:04 AM   #1

PollyPrissyPants HB User
abilify vs seroquel??????

hi again...my doc has just added abilify to my lithium and i nearly fell over at the pharmacy....60 pills cost 798.00 which my insurance only covered half (thankfully they at least covered that much)...anyway, i spoke w/ psych and he said i could try seroquel but it has a sedating effect...with the lithium already knocking me out, i really dont want/need more sedating side effects...but on the other hand, i certainly cant afford 350.00 a month for the abilify...anyone have any experience they can share with me about either of these drugs??

as for the lithium, so far i'm just sleepy, nauseaus and have the dreaded tremor....not feeling a whole lot better mentally...well maybe some of the agitation is down, because i really dont care about squat right now...
thanks for your help....PPP~~~

Old 03-04-2004, 10:30 AM   #2

cindy12345 HB User
Re: abilify vs seroquel??????

my daughter takes seraquel and she doesn't get sleepy from it anymore she did for about the first 2 weeks and even as they have increased her amount it hasnt' affected her that way

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2004, 12:54 PM   #3

Curls22 HB User

Hey, my pdoc wanted me to take seroquel along with my wellbutrin. i have taken the seroquel a couple of times because i told him that i only wanted to take it when i felt super edgy, manic, or anxious. it conks me out!!! OUT OUT! Like, i remember the first time i took it, i was flipping out for some reason, and it took a little while for it to calm me down, just like a half hour, but then i fell asleep. i had to wake up in the morning to take a test, but then i came back home and fell back to sleep until the next morning practically. it was pretty ridiculous, but i guess it did keep me from hurting myself, so i dont know. for me, the sedating effects are pretty strong. i dont even remember that test i took... wow... that will be fun getting the grade back... Good luck with your decision. that is a lot of money for the abilify. I guess, you could maybe try the seroquel and see if it works and does not sedate you, just an idea. Bye!

Old 03-04-2004, 01:37 PM   #4

PollyPrissyPants HB User

thanks...thats what i'm worried about, being totally zonked out...anything sedating seems to do that to me in extremes...even twilight sedation for minor surgical procedures konk me out way longer that normal...my doc suggested taking them only when i'm in a psychotic state but quite frankly, the hallucinations are too scary and i dont want to see another one...and if its a aggitated state, i'm not sure i could realize i needed meds because my reasoning is gone in that state...so, i'll try the abilify since i already filled a month and take it from there...i'm so tired, physically and emotionally...i just want it all to end....
PPP~~~

Old 03-05-2004, 03:44 PM   #5
(female)

lockedaway HB User

Hi there, I was on seroquel for a long time. I took it at night and it used to make me sleep very well. Is there anyway you can just take it at night before you go to bed? That's what I did and it seemed to work for me. I didn't feel groggy in the morning at all after I got used to it, which took a week or two but it really helped and it was covered by my insurance. I didn't notice any other side effects from seroquel either. I have yet to try to ablify so I don't know the side effects of it, but I was happy with seroquel for the long time period I was on it. Good Luck!

Old 03-06-2004, 07:43 PM   #6

sunflower64 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyPrissyPants
hi again...my doc has just added abilify to my lithium and i nearly fell over at the pharmacy....60 pills cost 798.00 which my insurance only covered half (thankfully they at least covered that much)...anyway, i spoke w/ psych and he said i could try seroquel but it has a sedating effect...with the lithium already knocking me out, i really dont want/need more sedating side effects...but on the other hand, i certainly cant afford 350.00 a month for the abilify...anyone have any experience they can share with me about either of these drugs??

as for the lithium, so far i'm just sleepy, nauseaus and have the dreaded tremor....not feeling a whole lot better mentally...well maybe some of the agitation is down, because i really dont care about squat right now...
thanks for your help....PPP~~~
hi ppp my husband takes lithium and abilify and lots more his abilify wooks the best i can really tell a differents but i do have great insurnce . sunflower64

Old 03-07-2004, 06:41 PM   #7

sunflower64 HB User
Talking Re: abilify vs seroquel??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower64
hi ppp my husband takes lithium and abilify and lots more his abilify wooks the best i can really tell a differents but i do have great insurnce . sunflower64
taking the meds will help you take one day at a time.

Last edited by sunflower64; 03-07-2004 at 06:42 PM.

Old 03-24-2004, 03:45 PM   #8

fayf HB User

I am on a high dose of seriquel at night and I take a lower dose during the day and neither knocks me out They say my tollerence for drugs is pretty high. I also have been a hep.b carrier for the past 20 years and now it's active so they want me off the seriqueil They never said why but I assume it's to do with my liver.

Old 03-26-2004, 10:55 AM   #9

sunflower64 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayf
I am on a high dose of seriquel at night and I take a lower dose during the day and neither knocks me out They say my tollerence for drugs is pretty high. I also have been a hep.b carrier for the past 20 years and now it's active so they want me off the seriqueil They never said why but I assume it's to do with my liver.
hi sorry i havent wrote i have been really buzzy my husband is beening a little hand full. so your on seriquel to, my husband only has to take it if he starts to get mean it will slow him down a little bit, I sure hope the abilify works for you sorry to here how much you had to pay but its worth it. It saved my marriege and gave my husband some kind of life. good luck and keep in touch

Last edited by sunflower64; 03-26-2004 at 10:56 AM.

Old 03-27-2004, 05:21 AM   #10

Natasha1981 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curls22
Hey, my pdoc wanted me to take seroquel along with my wellbutrin. i have taken the seroquel a couple of times because i told him that i only wanted to take it when i felt super edgy, manic, or anxious. it conks me out!!! OUT OUT! Like, i remember the first time i took it, i was flipping out for some reason, and it took a little while for it to calm me down, just like a half hour, but then i fell asleep. i had to wake up in the morning to take a test, but then i came back home and fell back to sleep until the next morning practically. it was pretty ridiculous, but i guess it did keep me from hurting myself, so i dont know. for me, the sedating effects are pretty strong. i dont even remember that test i took... wow... that will be fun getting the grade back... Good luck with your decision. that is a lot of money for the abilify. I guess, you could maybe try the seroquel and see if it works and does not sedate you, just an idea. Bye!
Seroquel decreases dopamine in your brain while Wellbutrin increases it. Wellbutrin has a greater potential than SSRI's to drive someone into mania. I'm just confused as to why your doc would prescribe that combo.

Old 03-27-2004, 04:52 PM   #11

sunflower64 HB User

good luck with the abilify it will work just give it a chance sunflowe64

Last edited by sunflower64; 03-27-2004 at 04:53 PM.

Closed Thread