It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2004, 11:40 AM   #1

vturner1 HB User
Mismanagement of money

I'm new here. I have read and heard that one symptom of BPD is the mismangement of money. I certainly have a problem in this area but was wondering if others here do too. Has you doctor said that the problems handling money are related to your BPD? I've heard especially about spending sprees in a manic phase...what about general mishandling of money? Would like to know others thoughts and feelings on this subject. Thanks

Old 07-23-2004, 02:06 PM   #2

zoeee HB User
Re: Mismanagement of money

Hi vturner!
You would probably have to talk to a doctor if this is causing some serious problems, but just general mishandling of money? Are you talking about Borderline Personality Disorder? BPD. Impulsiveness is a symptom there also, but there are other ones that would have to be present. Same goes with Bipolar Disorder...just general mishandling of money wouldn't make for a diagnosis of either one, I doubt. Is that the only concern you are having at this time? If the only troubles are financial then why would you think that was bipolar or borderline? Why not go to a financial site? There must be some other worries you are having? I may be way off, but if there is anything else you need to talk about then don't hesitate. There are really great supportive people here!
Take care,
zoeee

Last edited by zoeee; 07-23-2004 at 02:08 PM. Reason: oops :)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2004, 02:19 PM   #3

vturner1 HB User

Thanks for your reply Zoeee. No, money is not my only problem and a financial site is not going to help me. I have been diagnosed as Schizo Affected Bipolar for a year and a half. My Therapist has suggested that some of my impulse control problem is rooted in my manic behaviour. I was just curious if this problem with money management is common with folks that are bipolar. I've read that it is... but was looking for confirmation here.

I am also concerned about the dosage levels of the meds my doctor is giving me. In particular the Effexor XR. I hear it is very difficult to get off of and it seems the higher the dossage the bigger the problem would be. I'm at or near the highest recommended dosages of my other two meds as well. I am looking forward to some day when I don't need the levels of meds I'm at but concerned about the withdrawl process.

Reading the ealier posts I know there are some very supportive and caring people that use this site.

Last edited by vturner1; 07-23-2004 at 02:27 PM.

Old 07-23-2004, 03:11 PM   #4

zoeee HB User

Ok, I see! I just saw your other post as well....(D'oh!) I just thought maybe there was more to the story...or something--That's what I get for trying to be Nancy Drew! lol Sorry about that!

Well I can give you my input about money and Effexor XR kind of all in one swoop. Prior to being diagnosed bipolar, I was on Effexor for 2 years. I was on a lower dose tho, 75mg. However, for those 2 years I was out of control. Money definitely being one of the many problems I encountered. I guess that was a drug induced mania, i'm not sure the exact term, but it was pretty bad. I no longer have credit cards or a checking account.(Not completely by choice) But in a way that's helpful because I find that it's harder to part with actual cash. So I guess that's one trick?

The withdraw was bad. I don't know what dose you are on? I think 75mg almost the lowest dose possible. Even still, just missing one day I would still feel the effects. The worst thing is the head-blips...moving your head or blinking..you get these random blips in your head..you can hear them even. You feel awful...you just want to sleep, dizzy, anxious, generally not right. They are supposed to take you down very very gradually, and then maybe it isn't very bad?
I can't imagine being on such a high dose! Talk to your doctor, and hopefully someone else on here will know more about it.
Take care,
zoeee

Old 07-24-2004, 02:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

Before I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder I definitely had problems regarding money. Very impulsive, buying and paying for stuff with checks without bothering to worry what the balance was!!

Most lists of common symptoms for Bipolar Disorder will list overspending, over gambling, impulse shopping etc as as ONE of the symptoms.

Truthfully, if there are family or friends who are willing an untreated Bipolar (or one who is not yet stabilized on medication) would probably be better off financially having someone else handle their money until there is a more permanent "plateau" between manic and depressed....

And welcome to the Boards!!

Last edited by Ruth6:11; 07-24-2004 at 03:00 PM.

Closed Thread