It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2004, 08:47 AM   #1
(female)

Mikayyla HB User
Talking What weird/funny things have you done while psychotic?

During my bipolar psychosis, I believed that I was been harassed by evil spirits. The following are some odd behaviors I did out of my delusions, which I laugh about now---

1) Everynight I would chop up 4 cloves of garlic, spread them on a piece of bread and eat it -- to keep away the evil spirits.

2) Everynight going to sleep I would place the taperecorder next to me and record my sleeping -- trying to pick sounds of the spirits (because the school semester that my psychosis started, I was recording lectures with a particular teacher, and these strange voices were coming out on the tapes that did not occur in the classroom--so I thought I could catch them while sleeping??)

3) I went to an attorney and paid $200 for him to keep a letter to be disclosed at my death (explaining the satanic conspiracy against me).

4) I went to every book store in my town and bought out "The Satanic Bible" to "keep away initiates into the order" (regarding delusion of satanic conspiracy)

Of course, I did more strange things than these--but they were more typical of paranoid psychosis.....but I thought I'd share these 4 because I laugh about them now and think they're so funny.

What odd/funny things have you done during bipolar psychosis?

Old 08-02-2004, 03:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User
Cool Re: What weird/funny things have you done while psychotic?

Well now for the lighter side of this illness.
The wife has done some things in the past.

1. She thought a goat was in our bedroom. She woke up saying ‘I see his horns!” By the way we have a goat now. This was 10-15 years ago before she was dio.
2. She still thinks the FBI, CIA or somebody has bugged our cars. I wonder what they are listening for?
3. She hears the dog talk sometimes. To her it is real. It’s kind of funny because I sometimes speak for the dogs. I tell her and others that the dog told me something.
4. She has a habit of looking under the bed. I sometimes put my foot down on the other side and wiggle my toes. I know, TMI (to much information).

Mudhound

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2004, 09:30 PM   #3
(female)

Mikayyla HB User
Re: What weird/funny things have you done while psychotic?

Ha ha, thanks Mudhound for lifting my spirits. I got a good chuckle.

Yeah, I've got the same problem with the car bugging issue your wife has. Sometimes I start talking out loud in the car to "them". And now with people having hands-free cell phones in their cars, if a neighboring driver looks over at me, I probably don't look so weird anymore--- they probably figure I'm talking on the phone!!! When I was in a deep psychosis I believed the radio was communicating to me through song. I would ask the radio a question and the answer would be the next song that comes on. It's amazing how logic flies out the window when you're ill. When sane, I'm the most logical person you could know. Heck--at my college, I am a tutor for the Philosophy Critical Reasoning classes!! Isn't that ironic!?!?!

Anyway, thanks for lightening things up. Does she believe you when you say the dog told you something?

Old 08-03-2004, 07:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

1) I was convinced that I was giving a secret deposition in court from a rather large 70's style boombox in my living room.

2) The fact that my favorite number is 8 and that that the number 8 laid on it's side is the sign for infinity meant something so cosmic that even now it has a small amount of power over me!

3) Songs on the radio had secret meanings directed at me. I kept a "candle in my window on a cold dark winter's night" for months! A couple of the songs meant that I should call specific people - the odd thing is that many times they needed to reach me at that time.

4) BTW, my doctor's brother is bipolar and he BROUGHT a goat to a family wedding...

Old 08-03-2004, 04:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User

I make up stories about the dogs. Lisa and everyone else get a good laugh at them. I do not believe she thinks it’s real.

One story comes to mind:
We had this dog that came home one morning a little beat up. Well he did have a small cut or two. I told Lisa that he told me that 30 deer got around him and had him cornered. The dog says “there was one in front, one in the rear, and one on each side of me. They (deer) got the best of me.” What is so funny is that dogs can’t count! LOLOLOLOLOLOLO

Mudhound

Old 08-03-2004, 07:22 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mudhound you are an absolute treat!!!

Old 08-06-2004, 11:09 PM   #7
(female)

Mikayyla HB User

Wow guys, thanks for sharing.

I've got another one---you know how new cars now come with what's called "daylight running lights"? Basically, the car's headlights are on all the time, so when you're driving during the day, you're headlights are on. Well, people driving with their headlights on during the day started around the time of a psychotic episode. So, I thought that the drivers were members of the satanic secret society and that driving during the day with their headlights on was a way for them to recognize eachother!!

Old 08-07-2004, 07:15 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

You know, those are the kind of connections that I always used to make!!
Not so much connected to the satanic side, but just big ol' Cosmic Connections - which of course only I could see.

The interesting question of course was whether my brain chemistry disorder made me more aware of actual connections that I no longer see since I've been stabilized, or whether it caused me me make connections that weren't there to begin with...

Hmmm....

Old 08-07-2004, 07:33 PM   #9
(female)

Mikayyla HB User

I ask myself that question all the time! I mean I know somethings I thought were complete delusions. But other "insights" I had I still wonder about. But at the time, boy oh boy, with those cosmic connections I was making everywhere -- I thought I had my own personal peephole into the universe.

Old 08-08-2004, 03:24 PM   #10

seawater HB User

Mikayyla

Loved your post.

But you know about the Patriot Act...

I'm afraid to share anything that might be used against me in a court of law someday. How's that for being paranoid?

Ah, but all of you made me chuckle. And I needed that.

Thanks.

Old 08-08-2004, 06:57 PM   #11

plumloco HB User

Hi! I am new and I happened upon this board. This was the first thread I read and got the best laugh of my life so I decided to post. Here lately I have been really down because last summer I was admitted to the hospital with mania after 11 years between hospital stays. At the time I thought this aspect of my illness was behind me (hospitals that is). When my meds took affect, I was so embarrassed and felt guilty at all the crazy things I had done. Even though it has been a year, I was still having a difficult time dealing with the feelings because the memories still tend to pop into my mind, although things are a little easier.

When I read this thread, it actually helped me to see a lighter side and even chuckle at myself. Thank-you.

Here are just a few of the things I did last summer:

I taped a sign to my lamp post that read "looking for a body guard, to apply just knock on the door."

I bought two hamsters so I could watch them for any reaction if someone tried to gas my home.

I had a garage sale complete with a sign that read "Med lady garage sale" and carried things out of my house to the street. I also managed to carry a 40 gallon garbage can, complete with garbage, to the side of the curb, placing it next to the rest of the stuff. Needless to say, nothing was sold.

I refused to use the bathroom in my home and instead drove to the gas stations.

I was pretty bonkers...

Appreciate this thread.

Last edited by plumloco; 08-08-2004 at 08:17 PM.

Old 08-08-2004, 08:13 PM   #12
(female)

Mikayyla HB User

Wow, I'm so glad you're enjoying this thread. I think it's important to have a sense of humor about our past, no matter how embarrassing it may have been. While of course this illness is tragic and painful, laughing about our odd behaviors is a way to forgive our past embarrassments and lighten the load a bit. I hope this thread grows and we continue to hear more of people's kookiness.

Old 08-12-2004, 07:50 PM   #13

Hope_for_better_days HB User

I've got a few...

-While working in California for the largest computer maker, I became convinced that Microsoft was about to steal an idea that I had for a website and that their spies were drawing closer. When my boss wouldn't listen to me about the alleged threat, I told him I 'was taking a few days off'. I went straight to the San Jose airport, asked for the next flight across the country to NYC, and hopped on. Once in NY, I went directly to the company's Madison Avenue headquarters, slipped through security and headed straight to the President's office in order to inform him of the situation with Microsoft. Security intercepted me on like the 17th floor. I said ''How did you guys find me?", to which they replied, "You're wearing a black 10-gallon cowboy hat." Needless to say, my boss and the 3 security guards that met me at the airport when I returned to California were hardly amused.

-A few years earlier, convinced that the CIA was tracking me and closing in, I put anything that could ''identify myself or members of my family" into a green trunk and stored it away. When my roomates asked what had happened to all my 'pictures and stuff' I would only say that it had been placed in an 'undisclosed location' and if any guys in black suits and shades came looking for me, to notify me immediately yet dicreetly, while denying that I had ever lived there. I also wiped my room for 'prints' frequently, just in case.

Old 08-13-2004, 12:10 AM   #14

EnchantdFirecat HB User

Once, when I was at a VERY large concert I got it in my mind that the only reason the concert was taking place was to gather a large group of people all in one area so they could wipe us all out at once it didnt help when half way through the concert airplanes started flying over. Needless to say I had a major anxiety attack and ended up with sunstroke .

Old 08-13-2004, 03:07 PM   #15
Senior Veteran

bluesnowflake HB User

oh, you guys made me laugh. Now I am wondering if anything I have done in the past is actually totally out there. Can't think of anything, although I am sure that my family can recite a few things. Ah whatever. I enjoy me.

blue

I did think of one. For a VERY long time, I know I was going to have an episode because I would spend 6-10 hours straightening the tassles on the 9 rugs I have, straighten everything in my apartment, including in cupboards, garbages, etc. I wouldn't sleep as I was too busy making sure it was perfect. And I would never dust, so I knew when someone moved something. I hated that, because then I would have to dust as there was two marks and that wouldn't be acceptable. I know I get compulsive too, weird touching and counthing things at times. But those would only happen as I was progressing more into a mania state, full blown I would be extraordinarily messy. I loved mess. And I won't look directly at phone cords because they make me sick. lol that sounds so stupid.

Closed Thread