It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2004, 02:08 PM   #1

zoeee HB User
Anyone not take antidepressants?

Hi all,

Was reading another post and it got me to wondering how many other people do not take an antidepressant with their mood stabilizer?

I have always considered my problem to be with depression. Recently I have found out that some of what I have always considered depression is actually mixed episodes, so I don't know it that makes a difference or not.

I have take several AD's since I was 13... They either stopped working for me or caused what I now know was (hypo)mania.

My doctor knows my history, and I wonder if this is why she has not given me an antidepressant? It hasn't been that long, and this is only the second mood stabilizer I have tried with my current doctor.(Frist Topamax, and now Trileptal) The only other time I was on Depakote ER, but not long enuff to make a comparison, and with a different doctor.

If you can't take an AD, then what works for depression? Do mood stabilizers alone help?

Anyone in the same boat?

Take care everyone,

zoeee

Old 08-19-2004, 03:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User
Re: Anyone not take antidepressants?

I was diagnosed Bipolar Type I in 1985 while in a manic phase. While I was stabilized on Lithium I did end up taking an anti-depressant for probably two depressive cycles. (Untreated I would have 2 "down" and 1 "up" or so a year).

After that the Lithium seemed to do it's thing on the depressive side too & I haven't needed anything else since then.
(Although with menopause I should probably be on something - HRT even altho it's supposed to be so bad. Oh well.)

I get my rx from my family physician; no therapy in years although I went so long I could analyze myself anyway!

I am officially termed a "compliant lithium responder" and I know how lucky I am to have found the med that works for me...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2004, 03:49 PM   #3
(female)

Mikayyla HB User

My doctor told me that the mood stabilizer Lamictal is excellent for depression and is usually prescribed for bipolars with depression issues. He wanted to put me on it, but I refuse to take a mood stabilizer after a bad experience with depakote. He doesn't give me a hard time about it because he says that the Geodon I take has mood stabilizing properties so the bipolar thing is covered under the Geodon. He prefers that I be on a mood stabilizer and says that if things get worse or I change my mind, that he'd like to put me on Lamictal since it targets depression very well. So if you can't take an antidepressant, ask your doc about Lamictal (or also look up Lamictal on the internet to get more info)

Old 08-19-2004, 06:44 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

weasel HB User

zoeee, i do not take ADs and i am on lamictal. i struggle mostly with the depression side of this illness, and this has worked very well so far, we will see if it gets me through the winter.

Old 08-20-2004, 06:50 PM   #5
(male)

burg HB User

Removed due to personal reasons, do not wish to have post here

Last edited by burg; 10-30-2007 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Removed due to personal reasons, do not wish to have post here

Old 08-21-2004, 08:05 AM   #6

bridgey1128 HB User

I know what you mean. My Topamax has greatly helped me with my hypomanic side. I am not as hyper and talk people's ears off until the bleed, but the depression side is horrible. It does NOTHING for my PMS. So once a month I become pretty much suicical. It's horrid. I am going to the Dr Monday so maybe I can suggest bi-therapy . I love my Topamax mainly because of the lack of side effects but the GOOD side effect of weight loss!! YAY! but the depression thing is unbearable. I feel so hopeless. Maybe because I had so many episodes of depression in my life that I didn't notice how bad my PMS was! Now it's painfully obivious. WHen my hormones kick in, there is nothing the Topamax can do. This is a very informative bullitin board. I am really glad that I joined here.

Old 08-21-2004, 06:54 PM   #7
(male)

BrianKosh HB User

I have only known of two people who have taken OTC meds that seems to have worked for their MILD depression.. constant but mild..
If I were not on AD, I would not be here..
I did read that some anti-depressants can cause depression, but that could have just be pharmaceuticals trying to scare people into thinking one drug is bad so u buy theirs.. Have u ever taken trazodone? it is in generic so it won't cost u like the newer major ones who swear they work... I never noticed the newer ones to work long enough.. w/o increasing the dosage.. every few months..

U may want a second opinion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoeee
Hi all,

Was reading another post and it got me to wondering how many other people do not take an antidepressant with their mood stabilizer?

I have always considered my problem to be with depression. Recently I have found out that some of what I have always considered depression is actually mixed episodes, so I don't know it that makes a difference or not.

I have take several AD's since I was 13... They either stopped working for me or caused what I now know was (hypo)mania.

My doctor knows my history, and I wonder if this is why she has not given me an antidepressant? It hasn't been that long, and this is only the second mood stabilizer I have tried with my current doctor.(Frist Topamax, and now Trileptal) The only other time I was on Depakote ER, but not long enuff to make a comparison, and with a different doctor.

If you can't take an AD, then what works for depression? Do mood stabilizers alone help?

Anyone in the same boat?

Take care everyone,

zoeee

Old 08-24-2004, 12:31 AM   #8

zoeee HB User

Thanks everyone for all your input.
Will definitely have to talk to my doctor about it... I don't think I want to go through it again without anything.
I am really interested in finding out more about Lamictal. I wonder why she didn't just give me that one.
I have never taken Trazodone.
What kind of OTC meds are there for depression? I go back in a month, but if she still won't put me on anything, then I may look into that.

bridgey, I know what you mean about the PMS!! Whatever mood i'm in seems to be intensified negatively by it. That's the worst. Topamax didn't help whatsoever. I don't know if a dose increase would do it or not? That's what she would have done if I wasn't having weird vision problems. I actually think the Topamax made things worse? Maybe it was just bad timing tho. This time with the Trileptal, the PMS thing wasn't nearly as bad. Maybe that's a good sign.

Take care all, and thank you again

zoeee

Old 09-22-2004, 11:55 PM   #9

tricksaturnsc2 HB User

Depakote is for depressive type bipolars. If you are a depressive type & have a mood stabilizer w/ no ad, it can cause you to be depressed.

If you take the wrong mood stabilizer (like i said i recommend depakote for depressives), then cycling will occur, & cause a kindling effect, which means each subsequent episode will be more severe & harder to treat. every bipolar should have a mood stabilizer, and only the most euphoric / psychotic shouldn't have an antidepressant.

If the mood stabilizer dosage is high enough (lithium 1800-2100 mg's/ day, depakote 1500-2000mg/day) there will be no cycling.

Last edited by tricksaturnsc2; 09-22-2004 at 11:55 PM.

Old 09-24-2004, 12:45 AM   #10

zoeee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricksaturnsc2
Depakote is for depressive type bipolars. If you are a depressive type & have a mood stabilizer w/ no ad, it can cause you to be depressed.

If you take the wrong mood stabilizer (like i said i recommend depakote for depressives), then cycling will occur, & cause a kindling effect, which means each subsequent episode will be more severe & harder to treat. every bipolar should have a mood stabilizer, and only the most euphoric / psychotic shouldn't have an antidepressant.

If the mood stabilizer dosage is high enough (lithium 1800-2100 mg's/ day, depakote 1500-2000mg/day) there will be no cycling.
I don't know about only the most euphoric/psychotic being the only ones who shouldn't have an antidepressant. Anyone who becomes manic/hypomanic, or has rapid cycling from an AD probably shouldn't take it.
In the past when I was ONLY on an AD, I had alot of trouble. I was hoping that with a mood stabilizer added, perhaps I could take an AD.
Ever since stopping the Topamax, I haven't had a severe mixed, or depressed episode. I have had what could probably be hypomania, so my doc has increased the dose of my Trileptal again. I take 1200mg (600mg morning and nite)
I took Depakote briefly, and Valproic Acid, which is the cheaper -- i guess the generic-- version. That was over a year ago, prescribed by a different doc. No insurance at the time, so i stopped taking it. Decided to wait for insurance. Which is now.
Trileptal doesn't require blood work. So I like that part.
From what I hear Lamictal works well for depression for some people. Not just Depakote. Different drugs have different effects on different people.
Can't say Depakote will work for depression in everyone. Really, can't generalize anything about meds. It's all individual.
Blah blah blah... this is getting too long

have a great day,
zoeee

Old 09-24-2004, 01:36 AM   #11
(male)

BrianKosh HB User

hey, I asked my psychiatrist about mood stabilizers, technically we refer to the part that contols the mania and/or the drugs that soften the ups and downs, but his comment was they are all mood stabilizers.. Anti-depressant stabilizes the depressive part and lithium and such that controls the mania part is a stabilizer.. makes sense, sense depression and mania are not a normal state of the mind and body..
It is true, what works for some fails for others, been there done that.. this is why the doctor or all drs. do not just have one pill as in one pill fits all.. no offense intended by my comment.
which brings me to I am off welbutrin, and on Lamictal alone, and am doing better than mixing the two together.. kinda weird, I pulled myself off the Welbutrin and then the doctor agreed that it was a good idea.... uhh, in a way that is a bit scary.... if he didn't think it was a good idea to be on the welburtrin, why did he leave me on it?

Old 09-24-2004, 10:59 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

*music23* HB User

Among some other stuff I am on Lamictal, a mood stabilizer that also has antidepressant qualities. That was mentioned.
I didn't see anyone mention Anafranil (generic is called clomipramine). I am also on that. It, like Lamictal, is a mood stabilizer with antidepressant qualities. Years ago, when I started it, I was in a depressive phase. 48 hours later, it felt like a cloud had lifted. Yet it caused me no mania. Worth checking out.
Kristina

Old 09-24-2004, 05:23 PM   #13

mjss HB User

Lamictal works great for me. I'm also on Wellbutrin. BrianKosh- why did you feel you needed to go off the Wellbutrin? Do you feel better without it? I'm very interested because sometimes it's hard for me to tell what is working and what should be changed. Thanks!

Old 09-25-2004, 04:10 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User

the wife was just taken off the anti D. I wonder if this will cause her to be depressed? I sure hope not.

Mudhound

Old 09-25-2004, 03:10 PM   #15
(male)

BrianKosh HB User
Exclamation Re: Anyone not take antidepressants?

I keep typing something out and then erasing it, I am not sure if the outcome of what i did was good or bad for me.. And although I did start again... I was on two AD's. First I pulled one off, weened myself off, but was off 99.9% of it for about 4 weeks.. (consumming of the pill itself) I then stopped the other one, knowing I was running out I reduced the dosage slowly.. I actually did a cold turkey for 2 days, but ... every have a really bad case of the flu, and I don't mean head cold.. but really bad stomach case, where you turn white and get faint.. the minute I to the AD again, at a lower dose, I was fine... ANYWAY..

I was off the second one for a little over 3 weeks... I felt gretaer than great, I hadn't felt THAT good for the last 2/3rds of my life.. This is why I start questioning stuff... I know, full well A LOT of people have to take meds.. When my Ulcerative colitis is really active, I am not going to be the one to experiment at THAT point in time for an alternative.. But ever since I started taking newer AD meds, I start to wonder, I even doubt my own judgement when I am on them.. AND THERE IS fine print that drs are not telling you about the med. because it only happens to 1% but what if you're that 1%...

ANYWAY.. is it a good idea to pull off, I do it as experimentation... I could have felt better because of the lesser dosage, or it was the wearing off, or it was a fluke and there was still enough in my system to leave me happy....
( I WAS VERY HAPPY for those 3 weeks..) BUT... possibly by guilt or restarting the med.... one monday morning, I paid for something... SEVERE depression.. ( so bad I cheated w/ something just for the feeling of the side effects.. weird, my dr knew I did THAT once before, but said noting about it..) So now I am back on one of the two meds.. I wish I could tell u something that would be more positive, but I can only give u a recent experience.. I don't know.. maybe the meds cause depression, maybe they actually do good. (makes one wonder 5 years after the fda approves a med they then say it's not as safe as they were made to believe..but then the base that one 1% of the population whose drs may have been quacks..) Maybe the chemicals in our bodies don't play well with others or we just plain lack something and never know it.. the med I am off was wellbutrin the one i am back on is Lamictal.. (why did I actually restart...i got freebies to take,... it umm.. it keeps my restless leg issue quiet.. as expensive as the drug is.. it's better than taking darvocets.. it doesn't have the buzz that the narcotic had, but it's not a narcotic is it... it ALSO still keeps the crying and weird thoughts of a gun, away.. I guess I should have added that too.. seems a bit more important vs. cost....)

good luck..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudhound
the wife was just taken off the anti D. I wonder if this will cause her to be depressed? I sure hope not.

Closed Thread