It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2004, 07:55 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

keystone206 HB User
Lamictal anyone?

I began week 2 of Lamictal Satuday and it's my understanding that I won't see a difference for sometime with it. Does anyone else here have any experice with it. Are we allowed to talk about that here?
I haven't noticed anything, but some friends of mine seem to have noticed a slight change, until I had my coffee this morning

Old 11-29-2004, 05:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User
Re: Lamictal anyone?

The wife has not taken this med. Sorry

Mudhound

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2004, 05:44 PM   #3

Jaclynann HB User

Hi Lynda
My 11 year old daughter is on lamictal for the depression side of her bipolar. It does take a while for it to take effect, but for her, it does work. I, myself, was on it for my epilepsy and to be honest, I didn't realize that I was depressed until about a month after I started taking the lamictal. I started to feel better than I had in months! Then I found out they use it as an anti-depressant and I realized I had been depressed.... I had to stop taking it because I developed a rash - but I felt awesome while I was on it! Good luck with it!

Old 11-29-2004, 08:18 PM   #4
(female)

lsj99 HB User

I noticed a difference pretty quickly but I was also VERY depressed when I started it. I'm up to 50 mg and am working slowly (to avoid rash) to 100 mg. I increase by half a pill a week. I am feeling better than ever so for me this has been a GREAT med. I got extremely depressed while taking lithium so this is much better. Good luck!

Old 11-30-2004, 04:08 AM   #5

mother of six HB User

I have been taking Lamictal for 2 1/2 years now. I was using along with an AD but I have since stopped taking the AD. Now I just take 200 mg. of Lamictal and I seem to feel alot better . I don't remember how long it took to kick in but once it does it seems to work very well at keeping your mood swings to a minimum.

Old 11-30-2004, 04:32 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

keystone206 HB User

Thanks everyone! My trouble seems to be more mania than depression. I was on AD meds, which aggravated the mania after 3 years. My pdoc says for now he will just treat me for the BP, but may put me back on AD meds later.
Thanks for your time.

Old 11-30-2004, 10:17 PM   #7
(female)

mccarty911 HB User

i have been taking lamictal for a little over a year now, and have had great results from it...
if you are concerned about your doctor taking the AD out of your cocktail, talk to him/her about it...
my doctor explained to me that lamictal has AD medication within it, and took mine away -- however, i again taking it -- the AD in the lamictal was just not cutting it and i needed something more...
just remember this, you are the one that lives with yourself everyday, explain what you are feeling and don't be afraid to ask about adding or taking away a medication away.
this is the opinion of a 10 year veteran of bipolar...
bipolar is not just a disorder unto itself -- it is mania and depression...
i personally have to be treated for both at the same time... because my roller coaster of bipolar is mania and depression all at the same time, just sometimes one is a little stronger than the other one, but the lesser one is always there...
i realize that this is probably a little more information than was asked for... so in that i will say that i am sorry...
have a good day...

Old 12-01-2004, 04:18 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

keystone206 HB User

Mccarty, Thank-you! I will ask, when I go back. By the time I go back I will be up to 100 mg of the lamictal. I guess I will have to see at that point if it is making any difference. I had no idea that there was any ad in it.
It's weird how this all came about. All of my symptoms started about 3 weeks after I started Topamax for headaches. When I told the pdoc what I was taking he said that should be helping with the mania! Anyway, he did say he could treat me for both, so I will ask, I do feel not myself, but I know there will be an adjustment period in all of this. Thanks again!

Old 12-01-2004, 06:34 AM   #9
(male)

becksA HB User

I was d/x'd with Bipolar II, (depressive only)...and have been taking Lamictal for about 3 weeks now. I'm up to 75mg daily, and I think I'm noticing a change for the better...However, I've read stories that it's a cycle with Lamictal, where you feel better, but it plateaus out, then starts to go back down...so you increase the dose, then feel much better. After a while, it begins to go back down (mood), so you increase even more.
Anyway I've read this is the cycle until the dose is just too high and you need to go off it. Has anybody had success with Lamictal at the same dose for an extended period of time? Thanks

Closed Thread