It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2005, 08:35 AM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

kiehn HB User
Re: Bipolar and Menopause

Hedge
When you refer to where HRT come from are you refering to the process where
hormones without going into details are extracted from pregant horses? If so
that was my second reason for discontinuing to use them.

Not only do I agree with you regarding your comment about the similiarities between Menopause and Bipolar, but I even seen first hand menopause cause the same manic psychosis that some experience with bipolar. My need for med didnt change however I honestly dont feel I experienced much a changed in mood swings, but my husband may have a different outlook. Then again evey situation may differ depending on family support, diet, rest, physical heath, etc.

Mudhound
Im curious those women who now need less medication, where they also on HRT?
and did they find their need for med was less during menopause of after menopause
was completed?

Old 01-08-2005, 09:14 AM   #17
Veteran
(male)

Hedgehog No 1 HB User

K,

That was EXACTLY what I meant. I didn't want to go into detail 'on line' in case I got into trouble or offended anyone who didn't know. When Carol first told me I couldn't believe it. I then wondered if ALL the women who are offered it actually KNOW what it is they are taking.

Good luck in your continued quest.

Hedge.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2005, 10:02 AM   #18
Veteran
(female)

princesspea HB User

I have to admit I knew where hrt comes from but if it would keep me from going over the edge I would have taken it even with the dangers. (Yes Hedge we be educated over here.) <SMILE>(I'm just teasing you.) I can see now where it doesn't make much difference. My pharm is well known for knowing about alternative to hrt. (Herbs and such.) I might just talk to her about some options. I'll let you know what she says.

Ruth- I agree with your questions about where do we go! This is the only place I've gotten an answer because not many people have been through both. It's an odd situation anywhere but, here. No one knows what to say. I belong to a womens BP board but, none of them are old enough to know. I tried a menopause board and no reply...so here I am.

Mud- Thanks so much for the hope. I can only wait and see.

Kiehn- Are you on a special diet or do you mean just a balanced diet?

Love,

Jamie

Old 01-08-2005, 10:35 AM   #19
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User

I hate to sound dumb, but, what is HRT?
LOL
I guess i am just that. DUMB.

Mudhound

Old 01-08-2005, 10:42 AM   #20
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

Not dumb! Just male!!
HRT stands for Hormone Replacement Therapy - and it's been shown now to increase the risk of cancer in women who take it.
Thank heavens you feel like you can ask questions, and I enjoyed sitting down over a virtual cup of coffee here and telling you my friend!

Old 01-08-2005, 10:44 AM   #21
Senior Veteran
(female)

kiehn HB User

Jamie
I meant a balanced diet, which for me was difficult. As the constant, insomnia
(from BP & RLS) the depression, mood swings worsened and took me on sugar and carbohydrate binges looking for energy. This will be my eight year in menopause. I think Im almost over it. I dropped to 2 cycles in 2yrs then nothing for
2 yrs, thought I was finish and got a surprise about 5 months ago but nothing since then except for some reason the hot flashes started up again but not as bad. Ugggh
Already being bipolar if it wasnt for the hot flashes, lack of cycles and significate weight gain. The mood swings were normal. I suppose in a way BP Women have
an advantage because we're already familiar with dealing with mood swings and it's not such a shock to our systems. Best wishes to all of you, K

Old 01-08-2005, 10:50 AM   #22
Senior Veteran
(female)

kiehn HB User

Mudhound
Your are by no means dumb, Im a women and didnt know what HRT meant until
my 3 or 4th year in menopause. My apologizes I wasnt thinking. Thanks Ruth
for catching that, K

Old 01-08-2005, 10:52 AM   #23
Senior Veteran
(female)

That's so true K about us already being familiar with mood swings & it not being so much of a shock to us when we experience them caused by menopause instead of the bipolar.

My problem (and it really did freak me out) was that I'd been stable for almost 20 yrs - and I didn't know if what I was experienced was solely menopausal in origin or was the menopause kicking in bipolar moodswings...

I still don't know! I AM able to better accept feeling like I've totally lost it again. And it got better enough to work a quirky part-time job (EVERYone is quirky and I don't stand out as much!) And I'm very very careful to watch the sleep & diet. And anything extra for "regular" women who are menopausal that I can add to my usual group of pills without having to take TOO many pills every day.

I DO agree that we are a vastly understudied group. I've done web searches and there just isn't alot out there for women who are both bipolar and going thru menopause.
Guess we've got a good start on one now!
Thanks again for the original post Jamie!!

Old 01-08-2005, 10:53 AM   #24
Veteran
(male)

Hedgehog No 1 HB User

Hey there MUD...

How about you and me just sit this one out and see what we can learn about women????

Hedge.

Last edited by Hedgehog No 1; 01-08-2005 at 10:53 AM.

Old 01-08-2005, 11:03 AM   #25
Senior Veteran
(female)

kiehn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudhound
There is hope. Being a man, i admit my own inexperince in this area. However, personally i have meet and spoke with several females that allowed the hint of thier illness getting better (not cured, not in remission, nor gone away). They talked about the meds being less than thay had to take before and one of them i seen her meds and they did seem lite compared to most of the females that i know of.
Also, i recall speaking to my wife's phy dr and she hinted the same message.

THERE IS HOPE
Mudhound
Maybe I misunderstood what you said. Refering to BP women who now require less med becasue they are in Menopause. Or did I misunderstand
all together.
If not Do you know if they were taking Hormone therapy? And do you know if this reduction in meds during menopause or after they had completed. Just curious. Thanks, K

Old 01-08-2005, 11:19 AM   #26
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User

Oh? I guess males don't need those. LOL

Mudhound

Old 01-08-2005, 11:36 AM   #27
Senior Veteran
(female)

kiehn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth6:11
My problem (and it really did freak me out) was that I'd been stable for almost 20 yrs - and I didn't know if what I was experienced was solely menopausal in origin or was the menopause kicking in bipolar moodswings...
Ruth
With The BP/Menopause residue or brain fog I feel like I have a handicap.
I've seen in other posting of yours that you mention you've been stable for 20 yrs and it never sunk in until now. duh. I can totally see what your saying, wow. You ask very good questions. There's got to be other women in our situation. Just as you said you've tried other boards maybe it just wasnt the right time. Maybe they just havent stumbled across it yet. Just curious have you asked your doctor about increasing your meds or adding something different to see if it helps?

Maybe this is none of my business but I would be interested in hearing what men out there with BP wifes going thru menopause or will be, have to say
Sometimes it's helps to hear the otherside of the story.

Yes thank Jamie for the post. K

Last edited by kiehn; 01-08-2005 at 11:39 AM.

Old 01-08-2005, 12:01 PM   #28
Senior Veteran
(female)

Good question - and I can't believe that I am dealing with the situation the way I am..

I haven't seen a psychiatrist in over 7-8 yrs. Even then it was once a year to check in a get another presciption.
I get my Rx for lithium from my GP now and everything else has been fine. Until...

Oddly enough my GP is one that doesn't lay alot of stock in menopause symptoms beyond the physical ones. Totally nuts, right? But do I dump him and go to some other doctor? One that will push me to go to a psychiatrist when all I really need is to get through these menopausal moments?
Instead, I've been struggling to get through it all like any other menopauasal female.
Ok, in some areas I'm just a total idiot!

My husband is a small-business guy and isn't home enough to get the full brunt of my irritability or wackiness. He tends to keep a sense of humor about the whole thing (as do I) and has a "pet name" for me when I'm on a roll. It's honestly meant and said in a "loving way" and paraphrased for the bot-censor I'm his "menopausal (!)itch-wife from hell"...
And I don't care what anyone says, that's pretty much true from time to time!
Thanks, for being there - sometimes ya just gotta whine!!!

Old 01-08-2005, 01:04 PM   #29
Senior Veteran
(female)

kiehn HB User

Understand about the doc, been there. If you like your doctor, have you considered
just seeing a Gynecologist for the menopause or does your health plan have a behaior
health department (mental health). I see a mental health nurse thru our clinic that is like a psychiatrist and can prescrible mental health meds. A lot cheaper too. I did the same as you and for years was getting my meds thru my gp, but for the last 3 years the Lithium just hasnt been doing the job and 5 months ago I finally accepted the fact
I need help and got back into a mental health clinic.
I agree these two conditions sure do make up feel stupid and dumb. One positive thing I've learned, is the ability to be more understand of others when it seems like
their head is in the clouds.

Sounds like you have a wonderful husband. Love the pet name, we must be related, haha. If it was for humor I would even be here. Good Luck, K

Old 01-08-2005, 02:26 PM   #30
Veteran
(female)

princesspea HB User

K did you talk to your ob-gyn about this. I just use a nurse practioner for my GP and she does all the yearly checks. How did he react?

K or Ruth, I had a hysterectomy so I don't have a period for a marker as to when it starts. Do you know if they can do a test or something? I am having night sweets and was told by a friend that that was here first sign. How did you guys know?

Love,

Jamie

Closed Thread