It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2005, 11:04 AM   #1
(female)

Kahlia25 HB User
Is anyone on Lamictal?

I was on lamictal for my Bi-Polar disorder and the first day broke out in a rash.......it got serious. I felt very disoriented and I am now off it and back on seroquel until I see the Doc in two weeks. I still have a rash. Just wondering if it works for anyone else out there?

Old 02-15-2005, 05:23 PM   #2

aliend HB User
Re: Is anyone on Lamictal?

I havent tried it yet but I was considering it. Im sorry that you got the rash.
What is the rash like?

Take care

Chris.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2005, 09:19 AM   #3
(female)

llmrealestate HB User

My daughter is on Lamictil. She just had her dose cut in half so she takes 50 mg am and 50 mg pm. She is planning on going off of it completely. She has had major problems with seroquel the last couple of weeks and is off that now. The Lamictil did seem to work for her, tho.

Old 02-16-2005, 10:50 AM   #4
(female)

TLP53 HB User

Hi there, I'm new to the board, but experienced in Lamictal. I was diagnosed with depression in the early 90's, and have been on every anti-depressant available, some two times around. It wasn't until I found Lamictal that the BD swinging finally ceased. I find I can still experience happy and sad moments without it pushing me over the edge either way. I take it with Tri-leptal to tone down some of the racing. I think it's a good drug, certainly worth a try. Everyone is different and reacts to drugs in different ways. It takes time to find just the right mix for you. Hope this helps.

Old 02-16-2005, 10:58 AM   #5
(female)

TLP53 HB User

Hello again, I forgot to mention the rash could be because you went on too much too fast, This drug has to be introduced in Baby Steps. But some people are just plain allergic to it. God luck!

Old 02-17-2005, 10:26 AM   #6
(female)

Kahlia25 HB User
Cool Re: Is anyone on Lamictal?

I was allergic to it......I was only on 25mgs. and broke out everywhere. I have been on Trileptal before with good results. I am now back on seroquel and atarax for the rash...I ended up in the ER but am OK......thanks out there for all the input............Kahlia

Last edited by Kahlia25; 02-17-2005 at 10:27 AM.

Old 02-17-2005, 01:43 PM   #7

Silver Bullet HB User

Im on 1500 litium and was just proscribed lamictal. Im looking for some better results than it seems most have had here. Several other things havent agreed such as zyprexa,seroquel,geodon.

mark

Old 02-19-2005, 09:19 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

*music23* HB User
Exclamation Re: Is anyone on Lamictal?

I'm on Lamictal, no rash here...
But there is special concern for having a rash on Lamictal!!! I would say get off of it right away. There is a rare but life threatening adverse reaction to Lamictal... it's called Stevens-Johnson syndrome, and it is a rash that can literally kill you. I just looked it up and it said that usually this reaction starts within 2 weeks of taking the drug that causes it in a person, but I also was told by a doctor that, technically, it could come on at any time (though rarer).
When my doc first put me on lamictal, he had me examine my body every day for signs of abnormal skin. Be careful, get it examined pronto!!
Kristina

Old 02-19-2005, 09:29 PM   #9
(female)

jen1008 HB User

I love this drug. After years of feeling like I had no control over who I was, I now feel like I am just me. I did have a wierd side effect of severly increased appetite and weight gain (about six pounds in the first month), but with a small dose of adderall to combat that and some lingering depression all is starting to look up. Good luck with it, and start very slow!

Old 02-22-2005, 04:35 PM   #10
(female)

momsbrandi HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1008
I love this drug. After years of feeling like I had no control over who I was, I now feel like I am just me. I did have a wierd side effect of severly increased appetite and weight gain (about six pounds in the first month), but with a small dose of adderall to combat that and some lingering depression all is starting to look up. Good luck with it, and start very slow!
Does adderall really help with the weight gain? mb

Old 02-22-2005, 06:21 PM   #11
(female)

jen1008 HB User

Adderall deffinately helps with the weight gain, but you have to be careful, because it also really decreases your appetite. I have to be sure that Im eating even though I dont feel like it, but I have lost about 15lbs in 3 months, most of it was gained with lamictal and a nasty 2 months on Risperdal.

Old 02-22-2005, 11:02 PM   #12
(male)

cvdixon HB User

my wife takes it for bipolar and it is a God send! Believe me her bipolar was out of control until she was put on lamictal. I am also bipolar as well and I was taking geodon and it was over sedating me and I am hoping to get the dr to try me on Lamictal.

Old 02-23-2005, 08:16 PM   #13
(female)

Lurx HB User

I had a noticeable improvement in "mood stabilization" for first 2-3 months. I'm not sure it's working as well as it originally did, 6 months later, even with a dose increase from 300 to 400 mg/day. But I think I'm still probably better than I'd be without it. When it works, it works. Bummer about the rash. I had a bit of vision change and dizziness/incoordination. No change in appetite.

Old 02-24-2005, 02:54 PM   #14
(female)

jen1008 HB User

Lurx,

How long have you been on Lamictal? I've been on it for about 4 months, 100mg in the AM and 100mg in the PM. If it stops working as well as it is right now, I'm basically screwed.

Has anyone else noticed this? ALso what is max dose you can take? HAs it cause acne/skin problem is anyone?

~Jen~

Old 02-28-2005, 04:39 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

keystone206 HB User

I had been having a problem with sores on my feet and been told a few different things by 2 different doctors when I saw this thread. I looked up Stevens-Johnson syndrome and it showed pictures of feet and it looks just like my feet. So it sounds like this "rash" can manifest in more ways than one. I am going to bring this up to my doctor. The article I saw on line said that Stevens-Johnson syndrome looks like herpes and this is what the first doctor told me I had on my feet and I said "NO WAY!!!!"

Closed Thread