It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2005, 06:32 PM   #1
(female)

Bardda1 HB User
Zyprexa Prescribed FOR Weight Gain

Hi

I was hoping you all could give us some advice here. My husband is not bipolar, but just very underweight. He has been on strong pain medication following back surgery and they think this is what is causing it because he has lost about 50 lbs since last April. He has been tested for just about everything that can cause weight loss and everything is coming out normal

He is scheduled to have another back surgery in April and the doctor is concerned with his nutritional status. The doctor wants to give my husband Zyprexa because it will make him gain weight. What do you think? Is it worth it? I don't know much about these kinds of drugs and I don't want it to cause any additional problems.

Thanks for any advice.

Old 02-16-2005, 08:35 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

princesspea HB User
Re: Zyprexa Prescribed FOR Weight Gain

Bardda,

Hi! I can see the delema. Please remember I am not a doctor and not your husbands doctor.

Zyprexa will cause fast weight gain. My only problem is that it's an anti-psycohtic. It's a pretty powerful med. It is concidered in the major tranqulizer family. Though it is nothing like older anti-psycohtics it's still a powerful drug.

I guess you would have to weigh the benifits with the risks. It will definatly put some wieght on. I got up to 209 on it and I'm only 5'4" tall. I would make sure I asked my doctor everything about this med before you take it. You might also want to check our Zyprexas site. Look at their package insert. It has allot of info including side effects.

Love,

Jamie

Last edited by princesspea; 02-16-2005 at 08:36 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2005, 06:36 AM   #3
(female)

Bardda1 HB User

Hi Jamie

Thanks for the reply. What causes the weight gain when taking Zyprexa? Is is from increased appetite or does it alter metabolsm? My husband's weight loss is due to having no appetite because of pain meds and alot of what he does eat he throws up. So if this is going to increase his appetite and make him eat just so he can throw up more, I'm not sure if that's going to work for him.
How fast does the weight gain occur? If he could just put on 20 lbs in the next two months, he would be in pretty good shape for his upcoming surgery.

Kathleen

Old 02-17-2005, 10:21 AM   #4
(female)

Kahlia25 HB User
Lightbulb Re: Zyprexa Prescribed FOR Weight Gain

In am also NO Dr., but am an RN. I am also Bi-Polar. Zyprexa causes weight gain due to your metabolism. It is a very powerful anti-psychotic as PrincessPea said. I am not understanding why a medical Dr. would use a psych drug???? Anyway, I wish you the best and hope your husband gets some benefit from the drug. Make sure if he has any side effects to let the DR. know right away............Kahlia

Last edited by Kahlia25; 02-17-2005 at 10:21 AM.

Old 02-17-2005, 01:25 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

princesspea HB User

Kahlia,

Please don't get me wrong because I think it's great you're an RN and are here. Don't get caught putting the fact that you are an RN on these boards. It's against the posting rules. I know first hand what can happen if you break them. So be careful.

That said I'm glad you answered the question. I totally agree that it's a matabolism thing. I don't think I was any more hungery. I just think it's an odd choice too.

Love,

Jamie

Old 02-17-2005, 01:27 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

princesspea HB User

Kathleen,

The weight goes on REALLY fast. I'd say he could gain more than the 20lbs in 2 months on this med if stuff will stay down.

Love,

Jamie

Old 02-18-2005, 09:59 AM   #7
(female)

Kahlia25 HB User

I didn't know it was against the rules to put that I am an RN on here. sorry......anyway, am glad that you got the info............

Closed Thread