It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2005, 02:39 PM   #1
(female)

TLP53 HB User
Do meds cause anxiety attacks?

Hi,
I recently moved away from my wonderful Dr. and now find myself in a new city. I finally found a provider that accepts my insurance but their first available appointment isn't til the end of April. (yes, I'm going to call them everyday to check on cancellations) Meanwhile, I'm starting to have some freaky symptoms. I'm on Lamictal and Trileptal, here's the scoop.

I can't concentrate long enough to put a thought together.
My mind is racing from one unconnected thought to another.
I'm on the verge of a panic attack, fear, doom
I can't communicate how I feel, can't accomplish a thing.
Irritable is my middle name, I just want to be left alone.
Headaches, headaches, headaches.

The Lamictal speeds me up, so Trileptal was prescribed to tone it down. I can't take lamictal in the evening because it keeps me awake. I was taking 100mg of Lamictal and 20mg of Trileptal and was doing fine but now I'm not doing well it the panicky feeling that scares me the most and the fact that my brain is on "tilt"
I've reduced both meds a little but still not doing very well. I told this new "receptionist" that I need help NOW, I don't think I can wait until April. Figures doesn't it, never a Dr around when you need one. Does anyone have any advice?

Old 02-17-2005, 04:54 PM   #2

Silver Bullet HB User
Re: Do meds cause anxiety attacks?

Sorry none except hang in there, maybe seek a counselour. I was just prescribed lamictal today (starting at a lower dose) and am on litium among several others.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2005, 06:21 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

princesspea HB User

TLP,

I know that SSRI's can cause anxiety when taken alone by bp's. I also know that welbutrin can cause anxiety. I know nothing about the meds you are on. I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

If you have to show up at the doctors office and tell them you need help now!

{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}} and love are coming your way.

Love,

Jamie

Old 02-18-2005, 08:37 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kiehn HB User

Strange because Trileptal and Lamictal are both antiseizure medications they both
do the same thing. Being you're still taking the perscription perscribed by your
old doc, call his office and expain your circumstance. Often if a doctor knows
your case they can perscribe something over the phone until you can be seen
by your new doc. Other than that the only other suggestion is a visit to the ER.
If it was me, Im a brave soul and when I couldnt wait for an appointment I start experiementing with my own med, but thats something you have to decide for yourself. Good Luck, K

Old 02-18-2005, 07:44 PM   #5
(female)

TLP53 HB User

Thank you all so much! My old doctor did tell me to nudge my own meds until found a good level (Ha! Imagine me level) I cut the trileptal in half to 10mg. and the lamictol to 75mg. I'm feeling much better. I called the new Dr. back and was connected with a different more compassionate assistant. She said to call back on Monday and they will try to fit me in. Oh!, what is that I see, is it light at the end of the tunnel? Or is it just another train?
Take care and thanks again,
T.

Old 02-19-2005, 09:23 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

*music23* HB User
Thumbs down Re: Do meds cause anxiety attacks?

The first med that I was ever on for anything psychiatric was Paxil, and it increased the frequency, length, and severity of the panic attacks I was ALREADY getting. So yes, it is possible. Honestly, in my experience, practically any side effect is possible on any med.
Kristina

Closed Thread