It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2005, 01:03 PM   #1
(female)

lockedaway HB User
Abilify? Geodon? Lamictal?

Hi everyone! I havent been here in awile. I'll give you a bit of my history. I was diagnosed with bipolar about ten years ago. I have been on a slew of drugs that have done everything from made me gain weight to losing all my hair. Right now I am on seroquel, lexapro and xanax. I have a new PDoc and he mentioned switching me to Abilify or Geodon and Lamictal. I have never tried any of these three and I wanted to see how everyone else reacted to them and what kind of side effects were endured. I gained a lot of weight from Risperidol(sp) and I can not get it off with the Seroguel. If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it. Hope everyone is doing well!!
"No Dat But Today!"

Old 02-19-2005, 05:04 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

princesspea HB User
Re: Abilify? Geodon? Lamictal?

Hi Lockedaway,

I can only give you information on Geodon. I've been on it since November and I like it. I have lost 35lbs on it after a big gain from Zyprexa. I like it. I have no paranioa or out of control mania. I have had 1 hypomania that was short lived since I've been on it. I have no side effects to speak of. You really need to take it at night because it will make you sleepy but, you sleep that off. I personally think it's the best med I've ever been on. Remember this is only my experience.

Love,

Jamie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2005, 09:23 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

*music23* HB User

Ah yes, I have been on all three.
OK, abilify and geodon are pretty similar as far as what they are intended for. Lamictal is a different story. Abilify and Geodon are primarily antipsychotics, but people have been using them for mood stabilization lately. They are good if you have a lot of psychotic manias because they help with psychoses as well.
Lamictal, on the other hand (the only one of those three that I'm still on), is primarily a mood stabilizer and also has some anti-depressant qualities. From what I understand, it is generally the choice mood stabilizer for people who are predominantly depressed.
I don't remember especially severe side effects on either abilify or geodon, but I do know that Lamictal makes me extremely constipated, so I take stool softeners daily which counter that side effect nicely.
I hope that helps, and good luck!
Kristina

Old 02-20-2005, 10:01 PM   #4
(female)

jen1008 HB User

I'm on Lamictal and it has worked tremendously for me. My doc also put me on risperdal and took me off pretty quickly because of weight gain severly aggrivated my eating disorder too, so the lesser of two evils I guess. Lamictal also made me gain weight too, but not nearly as bad as the risperdal. Whatever you do, with the lamictal tart as slowly as possible to avoid that nasty rash.

Closed Thread