It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2005, 02:31 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

hrtofluv HB User
Who diagnosed you and how?

Could some of you be so nice as to let me know how you were diagnosed, what led of to the diagnoses, symptoms, and who actually diagnosed you? I am having some of the symptoms, the NP I saw is recommended me have a Pysch consult.
What would this appt. be like? What will they ask? What kind of treatments have been suggested.
THANKS!
hrtofluv (already self-diagnosed)

Old 02-18-2005, 04:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User
Re: Who diagnosed you and how?

My story probably won't help -
I was diagnosed by my family's GP. And I was totally manic. Just this side of psychotic. Racing thougths, racing speech, practically bouncing off the walls.
It was hard to miss the diagnosis in my case!
I was hospitalized for about 2 wks and stabilized fairly quickly on lithium.
20 yrs later I'm doing pretty darned good and have not had one single awful depression or one more psychotic mania.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2005, 11:41 PM   #3
(female)

barbarals HB User

I love to hear success stories like yours. My husband and I have only been married for a little over a year. He was diagnoised with bp in his late 20's. He is now 51. Since I have know him he has had one eposide after his baby brother died where he went a little manic and talked alot and it was hard for him to concentrate (he was finishing up his masters degree in psycholgy) and it literally took both of us to finish up his assignments. My point is my sisters saw a little of this mania and they flipped out when they found out he was bp. Now everytime someone kills someone on T.V. they all seem to be bp. My family is scared for me. My daughter won't let my granddaughter come see me with my husband at home. I am curious what percentage of bp people actually committ murder? How many physically hurt someone? I would love to get stats to show my family that most murderers are not bp. I guess Ophra Winfrey had a show on yesterday depiciting men who had murdered their wives and their attorneys tried to blame it on depression and their medication or in other words....bp. Help.....How do I combat this?

Old 02-19-2005, 06:29 AM   #4
(male)

maniasterisk HB User

Barb - You've openned a huge can of worms. Congratulations on having your first posting be SOOOOOOO dynamic. And welcome !!!!!!

It would be worthy of its own thread (new topic) but let's continue, here.

I was going to make some ironic statements comparing my own psychiatrist to a witch-doctor - but your posting deserves much better than that.

Prejudice, especially that based in fear, is always difficult to deal with. Fear of the unknown or unpredictability. It has no small part in the foundations of such meaningful things as religion. Fear of death and nothingness thereafter. But I digress (actually, I have an honorary degree in digression).

I also studied Psychology, stopping just one course shy of a second major in that area.

It used to be that unpredictable behavior was "cloaked" under the umbrella title of "schizophrenia". Nowadays, that's a poor man's diagnosis (so to speak), and lesser "things" more attributable to say "mood swings" tend to join the ranks of the "used to be" Manic-Depressives ~ more recently reborn into the new and improved Bi-Polar Affective Mood Disordered. Ain't it great how a label makes someone so different (double entendre - for humor's sake).

To address your family's fears. Statistics. As much as I despise a world injustified by stats - it used to be that just possessing a Bi-Polar diagnosis (yes, from a certified shrink) would give you a one-in-five chance (yes, 20% probability) of SUCCESSFULLY killing yourself. The key word here is YOURSELF.

While Manic-Depressives MIGHT get triggered and lash-out ~ it is generally considered much more improbable than them turning on themselves.

Key word here is triggered.

It sounds like your husband experienced some serious trigger(s) pre-diagnosis. So did I.

IF, as you say, he has only experienced ONE episodic event (and that fairly benign) since his 20's - then your family OUGHT to appreciate that EVERY individual with this diagnosis is different AND the vast majority do NOT turn to any sort of violence against others.

Others here might have better stats.

I'm a fan of Samuel Clemens, who once stated (as Mark Twain):

" There are lies.... Damned lies..... And statistics !!! "

I tend to agree !!!!!!

Best wishes, glad to see you here, and I hope you get a whole boat load of assistance !!!

Last edited by maniasterisk; 02-19-2005 at 06:32 AM.

Old 02-19-2005, 07:06 AM   #5
(female)

barbarals HB User

Thank you for your help. My husband has had eposidies before, but since I have known him this past 2 years, he only has had one manic spree and that was when he was under a tremendous amount of pressure. He can't seem to have a "bad day" without people thinking he is on a bp spree. I sure would hate to quit seeing my granddaughter, but I truly love my husband and I will stick by him. with my family acting the way they are, if I was bp, I would probably go a little wild. My husband doesn't seem to suffer from depression much at all, he just talks, and talks, and talks and talks when he is a little manic. I just want to be able to give my family some literature that says Most bp people do not kill their families.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-22-2005 at 04:09 AM. Reason: website not allowed

Old 02-19-2005, 07:36 AM   #6
(male)

maniasterisk HB User

to initiate a new "thread", click on the thingy at the top that takes you to ALL the Bipolar stuff.

Then, you ought to see a place to click that says something like "new topic".

I'll see if I can quote or something and initiate a new one (but frankly, I'm not very good at stuff like that).

Great to have you here !!!!!

Edit PS ~ OK - I copy/pasted your initial inquiry to start a new thread. Good luck !!!

Last edited by Administrator; 02-22-2005 at 04:10 AM.

Old 02-19-2005, 05:33 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

princesspea HB User

Barb,

I wish it was as simple as taking meds. They work great for some people like our dear Ruth.

For me I also have to watch my diet and exercise. They are very important. I still have some break through depression and hypomania but they are quick episodes...a day or two. I used to have 3 month cycles and they were way up and way down.

Your meds should help them be less drastic. Triggers can set them off though no matter what you do and stress is a big trigger for all of us. It even effects "normies" moods. We just feel thing more acutly.

Good luck with you family. Acceptance from the outside is hard but, they should trust you not to put your granddaughter in an unsafe situation.

Love,

Jamie

Old 02-19-2005, 05:41 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

princesspea HB User

hrtofluv,

Hi honey we seem to have gotten off topic here. I'm sorry!

I sort of diagnosed myself. I knew something was wrong. I didn't know what. I happened to watch a movie that Patty Duke made about her life and bp. There I was on the screen. She was telling my story.

I went into see a therapist and told her. She agreed but I was in the process of moving so she wouldn't send me to a pdoc. When I settled in in my new home I went to a pdoc and told him what was going on. He started me on lithium and the rest was history.

I hope this helps. Don't worry about the appointment. He will ask you questions about your swings, your sleep patterns, family history, your health history. Things along those lines. It's painless

Let us know how it goes.

Love,

Jamie

Old 02-19-2005, 06:30 PM   #9
(male)

maniasterisk HB User

Jamie is so right in many respects...

Back on topic ~ My father was "career" Manic-Depressive, but they neglected to share one ioda of information with family.

One of my primary life goals was to NOT be my father. Climb to the top and then plunge. Go into megalomaniacal personas at the most embarrassing times. Being blind to how you hurt others', and not just their feelings.

Then one set of days, I got to make the decisions regarding life support on my Dad, and was led to blunder by the medical establishment. The situation was further compounded by disposition of remains decisions that were again misguided. I felt horrible.

Simultaneously, I was in a state of hot war in the work environment with the boss from the lowest wrung of Hades (incompetent and a thief).

After 2 weeks of feeling like I could barely drag my lard-butt to work ~ I decided to break-down and see a Psychiatrist.

It took him approximately 2 nanoseconds to make a formal diagnosis. Unfortunately, he sang to the tune of the Terran Evil Empire (HMO'S), and was basically incompetent at knowing what to do with a "real" patient. All he could guess to do was Valproic Acid (Depakote) and Zoloft. When it seemed ineffective, he prescribed morE - and moRE - and mORE - and MORE until I was up to almost 4000mg Valproic Acid and 400mg of Zoloft a day.

I was toxic. I was unimproved. I had a toilet seat tattooed to my derierre.

I went through hell for a year that cost me too much in too many ways.

I finally went into a state of... like I had a bunch of hung relays in my brain... Total panic, all the time...

I was beyond the brink when a Psychiatrist who was on contract with the Veterans Administration (and happened to have a PHD in Psychopharmacology) managed to successfully intervene with the equivalent of a chemical shock treatment - so as to end the problem. I had to sign a pile of waivers so that IF it killed me, or left me a stumbling vegetable, that I'd try not to sue him/them.

Thank goodness, it was successful.

What no one had bothered to pass along was that my dear old Dad had been extremely med resistent TO EVERYTHING. I only found that out after my brother revealed his own diagnosis and what he had discovered in researching our Dad's case (posthumously) with the VA.

That's how I got mine, and brother did I ever "get it" !!!!

So, as Jamie said, some of just cannot take the meds. One size seldom fits all. That's life. The more different "coctails" I've been prescribed, the more (and more quickly) reactive I've become. Now, I just keep some of each of them on the ready, Just In Case (for short-term interventions). That's WITH doc+therapist approval and regular consultation.

Now that the bipolar happens has been mentioned, that's kind of what I've tried to informally do with myself. Like Jamie says, the triggers can always come out of nowhere. Rude and dangerous drivers get me.

Last edited by maniasterisk; 02-19-2005 at 06:34 PM.

Old 02-20-2005, 09:38 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

*music23* HB User
Wink Re: Who diagnosed you and how?

Ahhh, I am proud of the way I was diagnosed.
When I was 12 years old, I noticed that there was something wrong... that I was constantly "sad", as I described it. Yet I couldn't tell anyone. So I acted. I was terrified of what people would think.
So instead, I researched depression to DEATH. I found out everything I possibly could, and finally concluded that I must have Major Depressive Disorder.
Until....
6 months after all of this began, I went into a mania. After a few weeks of a high, I realized that I had read about a disorder called Bipolar Disorder that seemed to better fit what was going on with me. As time went on, I became surer and surer. It could be nothing else. I even said it had to be type one, given the severity of both poles.
I finally went to a doctor a month before turning 14 (for panic attacks). Eventually it came out that I also had a significant mood problem. His diagnosis? Bipolar disorder... type one. 2 other doctors other than him concur.
Amazing what a little knowledge will do for you. Keep learning AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!!! If a 12 year old can do it...
Kristina

Last edited by *music23*; 02-20-2005 at 09:39 AM.

Old 02-21-2005, 01:49 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

hrtofluv HB User

Thank you all so much for your advice and histories.
I still have put this off yet another week. I took the one pill of the Lexipro and was so sick to my stomach and "down" and dry mouth. I thought I would rather be bouncy for a couple weeks until I got tired and rundown again. That's kinda what I figure is my problem. Hyper for several weeks - everyone knows me as a very extroverted person who has shopping sprees and then I get real depressed at life (my job, my marriage, the money I've wasted). And I always assumed most people went thru this until this last episode where it was more like instead of the swing lasting for days or weeks - it was hours to minutes long. I would go from too happy to enraged to depressed to anxious and it just wouldn't stop. I would like look at myself from a distance and say - what is up? Why am I like this? Why am I being such a witch? I just checked the doors 2 minutes ago - why am I checking them again. And then dwelling on past events that were horrible and how I could have handled them differently - two or three different times of trying to relive things in my mind to get a better ending - but hey it's in the past and I can't change anything now.
I have been through several instances of being treated either for depression or anxiety. So I don't know if I am normal or maybe mild BP, but I know things are gonna have to change. My OCD part is getting a wee out-of-hand and the expecting the worse (my kids especially my son has been thru way too much for a child of 8 medically - his doc agrees) but then I think of how lucky I am to have him here, but then I worry what if? I'm already worried about planning for next year's teacher and not only him but my 5 yr old. Sorry - my mind is racing from one thought to the next - kinda hard to hold a conversion with anyone right now. So please bear with the "jumping" talk.
So - can a regular MD diagnose me or do I need to make that psych consult?
And I can definately understand Barb - I am petrified to tell anyone I'm even thinking of this diagnosis for myself - let alone if I was actually diagnosed. I probably would hide it - like I did the depression and anxiety meds in the past. Well - my husband knew about one of them and when I flew into a rage over something small at the house - he told me to "go take a pill". So - needless to say - I will NEVER tell him about anything. Which is sad I know, but if the right medicine will work - he will not need to know, right?
Well - I'll shut up for now.
But thanks again to all who responded. I really needed it today.
hrtofluv

Old 02-26-2005, 02:28 PM   #12
(female)

rxqueen HB User

I was diagnosed at 14 while in a hospital for self injury for a few days. At 20 years old and being the test subject for tons of medications, and I don't really know if I AM Bipolar. I just know something's wrong.

Old 02-26-2005, 04:07 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

princesspea HB User

Hi Honey,

The paranoia and obsessive thoughts are not unusual to we bp's. They aren't fun but they are a fact of life.

Though I've never cycled as fast as you have been, I have more than one friend who has. I'm sorry you're going through all this. I think cycling that rapidly can be one of the worst parts of bp.

Most BP's have been diagnoses either as unipolar depressed or with Anxiety disorder. It's not unusual for us to be misdiagnosed for several years before we get the proper dx.

Your regular doc can dx you for bp but, you're better off with a psych consult. Psych's no much more than your regular doc could be expected to know about bp.

I'm sorry you husband doesn't understand. My husband understands pretty well but, when I got mad at him the other day he wanted to know if I'd taken my meds. I was to say the least.

I hope you get a proper dx what ever that maybe.

Love,

Jamie

Old 02-27-2005, 04:06 AM   #14
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User

I was diagonsed about a month ago, after an od. I was admitted to the hospital and the dr only asked me a few questions and diagnosed me. He put me on depakote, which I quit taking, and I am seeking a second opinion. I believed him at first, but then I changed my mind. Still not sure what my problem is. Good luck to you!

Old 02-28-2005, 12:11 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

princesspea HB User

Goofy,

I'm glad your seeking a second opinion if you have doubts. Keep us posted on what you find out. I'll be wishing for the best for you.

Love,

Jamie

Closed Thread