It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2005, 09:10 PM   #1
(female)

jen1008 HB User
Lightbulb Hey guys, Im new and learning to deal, any advice?

Hey guys I was just diagnosed as bpII about three months ago. After nearly driving my husband insane and scaring the hell out of him for the year and a half we have been married he finally convinced me too see a phsyc. Only after the fact did my family even mention to me that both my brother (who we never see anymore) and my cousin both are too.(though a lot worse than I am). I am now on Lamictal ( a miracle drug, I tell ya) and doing pretty good. But now I'm scared as hell, because my husband is in the military and we just got orders to England, leaving in one month. How the hell am I going to deal with this on top of everything else?

Old 02-20-2005, 04:29 AM   #2
(female)

barbarals HB User
Re: Hey guys, Im new and learning to deal, any advice?

May I ask you what you meant by "scaring the hell out of your husband"? I too have only been married for a little over a year to someone who is bp. My husband and I have found a great way to deal with bp at wwwbipolarhappens.com.

Last edited by barbarals; 02-20-2005 at 04:31 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2005, 08:18 AM   #3
(female)

SagebrushDaisy HB User

I am new too, no real advise here. I have found that posting and reading the boards is helpful. I read the new messages everyday. It has helped.
Keep posting, as another bp told me.

Old 02-20-2005, 08:43 AM   #4
(male)

maniasterisk HB User

Jen - If I knew how to "deal", I'd be working in a Poker Room or at a Blackjack Pit...

Now that THAT'S out of my system...

Dealing with Bi-Polar is no piece of cake, even on your birthday.

It's kind of like giving up but not giving up.

Accepting that there are some internal circuits that might go haywire now and then - is like waking up and noticing that your legs got eatten by tigers.

It changes "the game", but doesn't have to end it OR make it totally miserable.

In my opinion (which in MY OPINION is often worth more than Pdoc advice - how's THAT for delusional thinking) SELF AWARENESS is vital. Many sources will recommend keeping LOGS of everything. Meds. Sleep. Food intake (time and substances). General and specific moods. Exercise (amount and frequency).

We look for patterns and correllations. We ARE unique. No two individuals have the same wiring patterns, partially thanks to the fact that experience/learning is PHYSIOLOGICALLY wired through microscopic "connections" in our brains that depend on neurotransmitters to do their jobs. Experience effects mood which effects neurotransmitters which effects mood... It's the ultimate dominoe effect.

The more our moods go to the extreme, the more the wiring leads in that direction.

That's one of the reasons that psychiatry suggests trying to medicate prevention of extremes.

I am one of the less fortunate (perhaps) in that I also inherited EXTREME medication intolerance. Heck, I can't even tolerate cholesterol or hypertension pharmaceuticals for beyond 2 or 3 days (and THAT only on the first time my body experiences them).

Just like my father, the more they give, the worse I get.

I found through my own SELF AWARE observations, that I could get close to the "normal" effect by taking micro-doses BUT repeating THEM brought-about the same olde intolerance.

Typically, if "they" say it takes a couple of weeks to render any effect, I'll be feeling effects within hours. Conversely, my body emits its own counter-chemicals in desparate attempts at homeostasis. Hence the problem.

I was meant to be a madman (according to the DSM-IV). That is my genetic
heritage. Perhaps some distant cave-dwelling (no offense to any troglodites reading this) ancestor managed to go "bananas" and warded-off destruction at the hands of fellow barbarians or cave animals. Who knows.

I am what I am.

Now, the issue is HOW to peacefully fit in and SURVIVE in this chaotic world we call "civilization".

TRYING to be aware of one's self and tendencies helps.

Avoiding one's triggers helps.

Attempting to reduce overall stress helps.

Getting decent and balanced foods helps.

Getting EXERCISE helps a LOT.

In my case, keeping the meds on hand Just In Case is helpful.

And having a peer or someone you trust who can give reasonable feedback - so you can get a hint if self-perceptions are getting skewed... HELPS.

Best of Luck - and DO try to stack the deck in your favor !!!!

Old 02-20-2005, 09:12 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Hedgehog No 1 HB User

Hi 'jen'

Welcome to the boards.

Please don't worry about being on this side of the planet. (England).

Bi-Polar is almost as common here. The main difference is the variation of Meds. But don't let that scare you. Look on the bright side, you will still be able to continue posting here...

I also support what M* said with regard to the advice.

Hedge.

Old 02-20-2005, 09:58 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

*music23* HB User
Lightbulb Re: Hey guys, Im new and learning to deal, any advice?

If I had one single piece of general advice...
EDUCATE.
Educate yourself first, and then others. The best way for me to stay in control of things is to learn. Learn as much as you can about what you're dealing with. You can also better educate others when you are educated.
Keep an open mind. Listen to others' experiences too. Education is not just defined by reading textbooks!
Kristina

Old 02-20-2005, 11:41 AM   #7
Inactive

BiPolar42talk HB User

Amen to that. I wish our school systems could agree.

Old 02-20-2005, 06:45 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

princesspea HB User

Hi Jen,

When I was married to my x in the military I saw base pdocs and got my meds on base. There was NO break in my care.

If you're wondering how to deal with bp and a move. I can tell you what my last move was like. Technically it was a military move because my dh(dear husband) is a civilian with the military. I also have moved overseas twice.

It went smoothly. The packers showed up on day and the shippers the next. Someone from from TMO came prior to the moving day to look over what we were moving and decide what types of packing we needed.

The move itself wasn't the problem. The problem came when all was said and done. I got very overwhelmed.

I had let myself get exhausted. Set up a schedule for yourself NOW. Set yourself times for meals, meds and sleep and fudge only a little on them. Get yourself into a rhythem. Moving overseas the problem is going to be jet lag at first. You need to force yourself into a rhythem over there as soon as you get there. If you do, the jet lag will be gone in 2 to 3 days.

Make sure you have a months worth of meds with you. It may take a while to get into a new pdoc. Carry them on your person so they don't run the risk of getting lost.

The last thing I can say is plan for a crash. Have a plan in place with your dh. Prepare him for what's likely going to happen. Better prepared than not. You can get through it. I crash after a big event even though I am fairly stable.

I hope this helps in some small way.

By the way I was unmedicated during our first year of marriage. I don't know how my husband stayed. He's a better person than I am.

Love and {{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}

Jamie

Old 02-20-2005, 09:37 PM   #9
(female)

jen1008 HB User

Thanks guys, Im glad to know that I am not alone. WHat I meant by scaring the hell out of my husband is that we had no idea what was wrong with me. I felt like I was losing control and taking him down the rabbit hole with me. I would go on cycles of needing him every second of the day, then going absolutely crazy thinking I would be better off with out him, or rather him better off with out me. But the more we discover about my illness, the more supportive he is and we deffinately are coming to an understanding about this whole mess that he use to blame on severe PMS. I couldn't be more lucky to have some one who loves me so much, that he is willing to take this thing head on with me. After all he is all Im going to have over on the other side of the planet. :-)

Jen

p.s. what meds are you guys on?

Old 02-21-2005, 04:00 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

princesspea HB User

Hi Jen,

You will find out you're NOT alone on the otherside of the world...we're everywhere...we're everywhere

I am on Geodon 80mg, Prozac 40mg and Welbutrin 450mg. I like the combonation for me.

Love,

Jamie

Old 02-21-2005, 04:10 PM   #11
(female)

jen1008 HB User

Have you ever heard of adderall being part of someone's cocktail? I'm on Lamictal 200mg and adderall 25mg. It seems to work well, but it seems odd to me.

Old 02-22-2005, 06:31 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

princesspea HB User

Jen,

I've never heard of Adderall. Sorry I can't help. I am glad it's working for you though.

Love,

Jamie

Old 02-22-2005, 06:39 PM   #13
(female)

jen1008 HB User

Jaime

Thanks for the help concerning the move, it really helped and put me at ease. You said the exact same thing that my pshyc told me today Thanks for all the support, Im glad I found this site, these last few days have been some of the most comforting since I was diagnosed.

~Jen~

Old 02-23-2005, 01:07 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

princesspea HB User

Jen,

You made me cry. I'm glad you could get a little something from what I wrote. I'm so happy you found us too.

Did your psych. help you understand the adderall any better? I'm just courious about what it is.

Love,

Jamie

Old 02-23-2005, 01:44 PM   #15
(female)

jen1008 HB User

Adderall is actually a med for ADHD, its an amphetamine, but besides calming down a person with ADHD it had good anti-depressent qualities( I still had depressive moods only on lamictal) and its also an appetite supressent. I had really bad incresed appetite and weight gain from the lamictal and a breif period on risperdal. As I also have an eating disorder the weight gain was really really difficult for me. He prescribed it for a myriad of things, because it could help with only one pill instead of about 3.

Closed Thread