It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2005, 11:27 AM   #1
(male)

Reboot HB User
Question Bipolar II/PTSD and I am new to board

I was diagnosed with Bipolar and PTSD a year ago. I take 600mg of lithium and 600mg of trileptal daily. My Dr. increased my meds, but later had to reduce them because I was having severe migraine headaches. He has told me that my illness is almost medication resistant. Is their such a diagnosis?

I was approved for disability a month after my last hospitalization and fortunately I did not have to go thru the SSA. Some days I am unable to deal with people and at other times I become paranoid and feeled with rage. My wife is very supportive and understands my illness.

I've always worked for a living and this has been a hard transition. I recently enrolled in college and began taking classes via the internet. Although I have this illness I'm determined to re-enter the workforce.

I've been told that a lot of employers will not want to employ me due to my illness. Can someone tell me how to fill in my gap in employment when applying for a job? Should I say I was ill or should I just remain silent?

Last edited by Reboot; 02-21-2005 at 11:28 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2005, 12:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User
Re: Bipolar II/PTSD and I am new to board

wow, what a problem. If asked the reason for being unemployed could be that you were occupied with family issues. If they pressed, you might just let go and tell all. Be sure to keep records of interviews and other employment finding issues.
There could be a case of discrimation if the reason you were not hired was your illness.
I do admire your determation to reenter the work force.

Mudhound

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2005, 12:41 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Hedgehog No 1 HB User

Welcome to the boards 'RB'

(welcome back Mud)

Hedge.

Old 02-21-2005, 01:23 PM   #4
(male)

Reboot HB User

Hey, Thank you

Old 02-21-2005, 01:25 PM   #5
(male)

Reboot HB User

I will take that into consideration. Thank You

Old 02-21-2005, 01:40 PM   #6
(male)

Reboot HB User

You seem very knowledgeable about this illness. Can you tell me how come some people have two, three, or more psych. illnesses and others are just diagnosed with bipolar disorder? I have pundered this question every since I was diagnosed with PTSD and Bipolar. I am wondering if the accident which brought on the PTSD predisposed me to bipolar?

Closed Thread