It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2005, 08:57 AM   #1
(male)

Reboot HB User
My life is like a computer that constantly has to be rebooted

The more I read the various postings the more I crave to be normal. I ask myself what is normal? Will I ever feel normal? I often feel that just as a computer with a bad program must be rebooted. I to have to be rebooted in order to function properly.

I feel as if I, like many others, have been labeled as a bad program which society wants to delete. I say this because the moment anyone discovers my illness I am automatically looked upon as CRAZY. Well, I'm not! I want to tell a lot of these ignorant people, "HEY LOOK!", I have worked as a engineer and am now back in school and I am probably better educated than YOU!!!!

Many of these people do not understand that my illness is no different than someone who has diabetes in that I have an organ in my body that is chemically not functioning properly and it is not my fault and like the diabetic I am taking medication to stablize my illness so that I can live.

I blame the media and the medical profession for this. The media wants to label every murder, serial killer, ...etc. as bipolar and that simply is not the case. The medical profession,having made many advances in treating bipolar and several other mental illnesses, has failed to educate the public.

Thanks for listening

Reboot

Old 02-22-2005, 05:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User
Re: My life is like a computer that constantly has to be rebooted

good post! They have failed and will until we do something.

Mudhound

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2005, 06:21 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

princesspea HB User

Reboot,

I'll second the good post.

Have you concidered joining a mental health advacacy group? They are often looking for speakers to get the word out.

Love,

Jamie

Old 02-23-2005, 08:04 AM   #4
(male)

maniasterisk HB User

Arby (that's RB for ReBoot) ~

I would have loved to have left Jamie's post as the last BUT (like a good little bipolar) I just had to stick my nose in here...

"Absolutely" on the reboot idea. I've used that same analogy with my Pdoc, and therapist and Gdoc.

Just a month or two ago, after sleep cycles were turning into miniscule trycycles (spelling=pun) - I decided to NOT use Risperdal - but first try a good old bottle of whiskey. Sacre Bleu !!! Worked like a charm.

I had kind of noted through my life, that the occassional total blow-out (like an alcohol ECT) would allow things to re-sort (clear up the cobwebs and hung mental relays) so that nicer perceptions and a more normal life experience might be appreciated. It's kind of like your car is out of alignment, and pulling hard to one side.

I don't advocate self-medication. But, what works for you works for you.

Besides, I don't drink every day - and keep a firm watch against "abuse" on a regular basis. Particularly during the football season.

Thanks for the "re-booty-call" !!!

M* (that means maniasterisk = ED = ???)

Closed Thread