It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2005, 05:12 PM   #1
(female)

momsbrandi HB User
Bp meds if you're not bp?

Do you have to be bp to take mood stabilizers? I have severe depression and was just wondering if this would help me out. mb

Old 02-22-2005, 05:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User
Re: Bp meds if you're not bp?

Now that's a good question. I would say not. But, I might seek the advice of my dr.
Others here may know or have the same rx's for this.

Mudhound

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2005, 06:14 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

princesspea HB User

mb,

My only question would be do you ever have highs? For me the mood stablizer cuts out my high highs so I don't have the crash to lows. My depression is treated separatly with anti depressants.

I'm not sure that this helped. Just my experience.

Love,

Jamie

Old 02-23-2005, 05:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

analog2000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsbrandi
I have severe depression and was just wondering if this would help me out.
If you are not bi-polar, probably not. Remember, it is a mood STABILIZER, not an anti-depressant. Have you been to the doc? Although a mood stabilizer might not be the right choice for you, there are plenty of anti-depressant medications out there that could help.

Good luck.

Old 02-23-2005, 08:19 PM   #5
(female)

Lurx HB User

Lamictal (lamotrigine) is a mood stabilizer that also has antidepressant properties. It has helped some people with unipolar depression that has not responded to other drugs.

Old 02-24-2005, 03:57 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

jules1 HB User

My Dr just gave me the 5 week sample of Lamictal to start. I'm not bipolar, but suffer from major depressive disorder. I'm on 80mgs of Paxil (its so high because I also have OCD), seeing a therapist and a psychiatrist, yet am still having serious problems with depression. My doc thought that since Lamictal treats the depressive aspect of BD so well that it might help me.

We'll see!

Old 02-25-2005, 06:14 AM   #7
(female)

momsbrandi HB User

Jules, from what I've been reading it seems that you should start slowly on this med to avoid a rash. I am so sorry for your suffering. I really hope this med is the one for you. Please let me know how it goes. I may ask my doc to let me have a chance at it. Hang in there

Last edited by momsbrandi; 02-25-2005 at 06:19 AM.

Old 02-25-2005, 03:54 PM   #8
(female)

alexgranny HB User

I am diagnosed as bipolar II which is quite a different thing from bipolar I (we don't get manic only hypo manic occasionally) I spend my time coping with the depression side of the equation. For years I was diagnosed only as major depression and only took an anti-depressant. That could be you too. Now I am on both an anti-deppressant and a mood stabilizer and I feel much better.

Old 02-25-2005, 06:06 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

jules1 HB User

momsbrandi: Thanks for your concern, but don't worry, I'm titrating the meds. My dr. gave me a 5 week starter pack, 25mg/day for 2 weeks, 50mg/day for the next two weeks, then 100 mg after that. I have another appt. then to see how the meds are working.

Besides the paxil, I'm also on .5 mg/day of xanax, and I think adding the Lamictal is making me sleepy, but if it works I don't mind!

My dr. asked if I've ever had any manic episodes, I assume to see if I was bipolar. I don't fluctuate back and forth between moods, but I do occaisonally have times when I'm really really happy and think everything will be okay and I feel motivated and actually feel like doing things - but normally I'm just really depressed - does this sound like BD-I?

Old 02-25-2005, 06:45 PM   #10
(female)

momsbrandi HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgranny
I am diagnosed as bipolar II which is quite a different thing from bipolar I (we don't get manic only hypo manic occasionally) I spend my time coping with the depression side of the equation. For years I was diagnosed only as major depression and only took an anti-depressant. That could be you too. Now I am on both an anti-deppressant and a mood stabilizer and I feel much better.
I didn't know that there was two types of bi polar. So, it seems from what you've said that you have the calmer version? If you don't mind sharing, what antidepressant and what mood stabilizer? How long have you been taking this mix? Thank you for posting and sharing with me, I really appreciate it. mb

Old 02-25-2005, 06:52 PM   #11
(female)

momsbrandi HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules1
momsbrandi: Thanks for your concern, but don't worry, I'm titrating the meds. My dr. gave me a 5 week starter pack, 25mg/day for 2 weeks, 50mg/day for the next two weeks, then 100 mg after that. I have another appt. then to see how the meds are working.

Besides the paxil, I'm also on .5 mg/day of xanax, and I think adding the Lamictal is making me sleepy, but if it works I don't mind!

My dr. asked if I've ever had any manic episodes, I assume to see if I was bipolar. I don't fluctuate back and forth between moods, but I do occaisonally have times when I'm really really happy and think everything will be okay and I feel motivated and actually feel like doing things - but normally I'm just really depressed - does this sound like BD-I?
Jules, I don't know if it's Bp or not. Not too familiar just yet. Either way, wouldn't it be great if this med combo made you feel better. Please keep me posted on how you're doing. Keeping my fingers crossed for you my friend. mb

Old 02-26-2005, 03:35 PM   #12
(female)

alexgranny HB User

I'm glad I could help some. I actually take more than two medications. Lamictal as a mood stabilizer, Wellbutrin XL for depression and Seroquel which I believe is categorized as an anti-psychotic but is also helpful in stabilizing moods. I have PRN prescriptions for both Klonopin (tranqulizer) and Restoril for sleep. My God, it sounds like I'm really bad off when I list all those but the reality is I'm just a normal person enjoying my grandchildren. Bipolar doesn't have to take over your life. You just can't ignore it or the signs that it could be worsening.

Old 02-28-2005, 01:16 PM   #13
(female)

momsbrandi HB User

Alexgranny thank you for sharing. I will be going to see a physchiatrist in a few days. Maybe I am bp. I don't know. Antidepressants and Ativan for anxiousness doesn't seem to do the trick anymore. Not to mention, the antidepressants usually only work for a very short time with me. I just really need some relief. Than I worry so much about my having passed this dreaded disease down to my 12 year old child. She has symptoms. I just can't imagine her going through all that I have. Can you relate? Anyone?

Last edited by momsbrandi; 02-28-2005 at 01:18 PM.

Old 03-01-2005, 01:10 PM   #14
(female)

alexgranny HB User

HI Momsbrandi,
Yes it is true that there is a genetic component to all mood disorders but it doesn't help either you or your daughter when you worry about it. My first husband (father of my three children) is bipolar as am I. Two of my children have been diagnosed bipolar and one struggles with depression. I try to focus on the improved treatments available today (not just lithium). My younger daughter and I are vigilant about watching the grandkids so that we can provide help and support if it becomes necessary. I guess what I'm trying to say is you have no control over your genes so the best you can do is to be supportive and vigilant regarding your daughter. It is NOT your fault!

Old 03-01-2005, 04:03 PM   #15
(female)

momsbrandi HB User

Thank you so much, can you move next door to me please! I think we could be great neighbors! Please keep me posted. mb

Closed Thread