It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2005, 07:39 AM   #1
(female)

loopyturtle HB User
camping . . .

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I've had access to the internet, so thought I'd say hi and give a little update. My only method of getting online is at the library. Hard getting used to as I'm used to having unlimited broadband access. Go with the flow, right?

I moved out and away from my husband last Friday. Found a little place that seemed okay . . . until after one day. It was completely infested with little crawlies . . . ick! So now I have all my stuff in a storage shed (who knows how many moved with me ), and am probably going to have to camp for a while till I can find a place. Looking for a place to camp today sometime.

My moods have settled down quite a bit. Mostly, I think, because I am out of the previous environment.

My one big obstacle is that I still don't have a job and haven't been able to get my stuff together to even go out and apply. Have a little bit of savings . . .and school fund. I also lost my wallet the week before I left, so I'm also trying to get everything replaced that I need. Things are a pretty big mess.

I guess it might seem silly to have left, but I really needed to. Someone was going to end up hurt if I didn't get out of there. Besides, I was tired of my husband asking me every evening how long it would be before I was leaving. Nothing like feeling wanted.

So, that's life right now. Interesting, as always . . .

--Loopy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2005, 12:53 PM   #2
(female)

dragon25 HB User
Re: camping . . .

Hi 'Loopy'

My heart goes out to you. I wish you luck in trying to make it through these rough times. Keep us posted when you can.

Old 02-23-2005, 01:53 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

princesspea HB User

Oh Loopy,

{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}} I'm so sorry you're in this place right now. It's got to be frightening. I know it was for the best but, it's still hard. Have you tried for any public assesstance? Just until you can get on your feet.

Are you in a warm climate at least? The thought of camping in Utah right now sounds horrible.

It's got to be a mess with all your id etc. gone. You have to have it to apply for a job and you have to have an address to get it all. Yikes talk about the old rock and a hard place! My heavens honey I wish I could give you a real hug right now. If you're in a big enough town try and find a mental health advicate to help you through the red tape of housing etc. A half way house would be better than camping for now.

Your life sounds like it's gotten more than interesting!!! I'm glad you're moods have settled down. {{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}} again.

Love,

Jamie

Last edited by princesspea; 02-23-2005 at 01:53 PM.

Old 02-24-2005, 04:18 PM   #4
(female)

loopyturtle HB User

Thanks Jamie and Dragon,

The good news is that I live in Florida.

The bad news is that I live in Florida.

The climate is a good thing. This has got to be the worst place to try to get any kind of financial assistance. Esp. when I am not pregnant, nor have any children.

Thankfully, I am now in a better locale, having moved to another county. I went and put some papers in some three weeks or more ago(Actually, come to think of it, it was over a month ago) at the only source for help with psych issues. Have yet to hear back from them. That's just for them to evaluate whether to consider me for services. Having had previous exp. with this place, I'm glad I'm away.

Otherwise, just trying to remain sane. Moved all of my things out into a bigger storage shed that can hold my vehicle as well. Research into the camping idea bombed. The cheapest place to camp around here is around $27 a day, but not many vacancies, anyway. So, I think I'm joining the car living culture. Not as dismal as it sounds . . .

Off to search for contacts for local help. Don't have much computer time.

--Loopy

Old 02-25-2005, 01:49 AM   #5
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User

Loopy, I hope you can get the help that you need. I feel so badly for you. Take good care of yourself and keep us updated. Hugs, Lori

Old 02-26-2005, 06:09 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User

Loopy, take care of youself.
I enjoy camping as much as the next person. However, not the kind of camping that you are enduring. I feel pain in the word you have used. Take care.

Mudhound

Old 02-26-2005, 03:49 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

princesspea HB User

Oh Loopy,

I'm so sad for you right now. You must feel lost! Try social security if you can't get a job. You will need at least a PO Box for that. Once I was eligible for SS I was eligible for housing, food stamps, SSI, and special breaks because my appartment had air conditioning. This takes a while so start the paper work as soon as possible.

Check with your local Salvation Army to find out what's availible for helping the mentally ill.

I understand the wait to see if they'll give you service...I don't agree with it but, I've been on your end of it. It's a lousy place to be.

I know living out of your car is not the worst thing but, lets try and get you out of it. Are there any women's shelters in your area? Ours takes in people in just your situation. Women who had to get out of their living environment for their health and safty. I'll keep thinking of people for you to contact.

You take care of you.

Love,

Jamie

Old 02-28-2005, 10:39 AM   #8
(female)

loopyturtle HB User

Thanks so much, everyone, for being there.

This has to be a fly-by post. Have to leave three minutes ago . . . .

Just wanted to say that things are going okay. It was really quite a weekend for me. But life is still marching on. Just paid for my storage shed for another month, so I have a place for my things still. I've been spending a lot of time there going through my stuff, and arranging and rearranging . . . then the ocd kicks in . . . LOL.

Things are a little stressful now, but I have to say better than they were before.

Oh, I got a letter back from the place I put in an app for services where I used to live. It told me in a very nondescript way that I was not eligible for services because: 1) I did not meet eligibility requirements and, or 2) I was not eligible for some other reason. Makes a whole lot of sense.

I'll try to post more tonight.

--Loopy

Old 02-28-2005, 12:28 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

princesspea HB User

Loopy,

Can you protest their findings? Is there somewhere else you can apply? You said you're in a new county do they have anything? I'm starting classes on what's available in my area which I know is different from yours but check here every week and I'll post any information to you that might help.

Hang in there. Their are a lot of people who love you here just incase no one has told you lately!

Love,

Jamie

Old 02-28-2005, 12:38 PM   #10
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User

I am so sorry Loopy. I hope you can find some assistance elsewhere. Love, Lori

Old 02-28-2005, 02:50 PM   #11
(female)

loopyturtle HB User

Oh, gosh, I don't really know where to start, now. Actually, which way is up? The most recent thing that happened is I think I lost my wallet for the second time in a month. I now have no ID and have to reorder bank cards. I still have to double and triple check, but don't really think I'll find it. I was trying to figure out where I used it last, but can't even remember what all I did last night.

I think that I'm going to have to have some repairs on my truck done. The thing is, I've been out of control on debits and have no idea how much money I have.

There might be some programs down here that I might qualify for, but I don't know. Plus I have no address to give them (street addressm that is), and don't know where to look. As for applying for social security benefits, It's been a couple of weeks, and I haven't managed to get myself someplace to do the relatively minor process of getting a new ss card. The idea of trying to fill out paperwork for anything else is just overwhelming.

There seems to be no such thing as emergency assistance around here if you're not a veteran or senior. I just don't have the energy to advocate for myself.

Still here, though.

--Loopy

Old 02-28-2005, 03:03 PM   #12
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User

Sending you tons of hugs Loopy!!! Lori

Old 02-28-2005, 08:33 PM   #13
(female)

loopyturtle HB User

You all are the best! I feel loved.

The good news is I found my wallet. It was wedged in a corner in my truck. Thankfully I hadn't canceled cards yet.

I was also honest with a friend of mine here and told her how things were. I stayed with her when I tried to move down here before -- didn't work out. So I haven't talked with her much lately. She thought I was still working.

Anyway, her mom knew of some local resources and called a place and they both went with me. They offer short-term medication assistance and referrals to other agencies. The lady I talked with was soooo nice. I'm not used to that. At the other place in my old county, I always felt guilty that I was using up space there. Anyway, I have an appointment to see an arnp on Thursday. They will be able to give me my meds to start then, probably. I'm just scared of trying to start meds all over again. They can't prescribe benzo's, so no klonopin. She will also be setting up an appointment for me with another agency and will let me know about that tomorrow.

Also got a good packet with all kinds of resources. So things are looking up.

I'm actually at my friend's place right now. She asked me if I wanted to hang out and get on the computer, as it is too late to get to my stuff in storage tonight.

They were also encouraging me to apply for ss as well. Said they'd help me with the paperwork.

Ending on a positive note for once . . .

--Loopy

Old 02-28-2005, 10:26 PM   #14
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User

YAY LOOPY!!!!! Great news! Love, Lori

Closed Thread